[Updated] DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-01-whats-included-in-driveclubs-free-playstation-plus-edition

PlayStation Plus subscribers who nab DriveClub's PS Plus Edition will get to freely try 10 cars and one country's worth of maps.

This amount was always the intention, game director Paul "Rushy" Rustchynsky explained to a fan via the EU PlayStation blog, and hasn't changed despite the game's re-announcement and delay until October.

Responding to a fan who claimed that the PlayStation Plus version sounded more like a demo, Rustchynsky argued that this wasn't the case.

"The PlayStation Plus Edition hasn't changed," he wrote. "It's hardly a demo because you get access to all of the game's features online and offline.

"The difference is that you only have 10 cars and you can only race in one country (which gives you access to five tracks with 11 distinct variants)."

Yesterday Rustchynsky addressed the game's postponement and the difficulties faced by the team at Evolution Studios over what he termed a "long and hard winter".

"We appreciate that there's a lot of anticipation and excitement for everything that DriveClub promises to be, so we hope that you understand why we won't compromise on quality to rush it to you," he concluded.

Now, this was published last week, but a new update's just come out, and it's not a good one...

Those who test out Sony's upcoming racing game DriveClub for free-ish via its PlayStation Plus edition will be delighted to know that they can purchase the rest of the game's content in a single ?42.99 / ?49.99 / $49.99 upgrade.

They will be less delighted to know that they'll lose access to all of this content if their PlayStation Plus subscription is no longer in play.

"This [upgrade] will give you access to all five locations, 55 tracks, 50 cars and all 50 tour events, as long as your PlayStation Plus subscription remains active," explained SCEE product manager Chris Brown on the PlayStation Blog.

Of course, you could always simply purchase the full game from a shop or over PSN. However, this won't let you carry over your progress.

For more information on the differences between DriveClub and its PlayStation Plus edition, Sony has released the following comparison video.

Definitely seems like the best advice is to just buy a physical copy of the game; there's a good chance it'll be cheaper on day one than the upgrade.

That's fine, we never knew what exactly would be offered to PS+, and most of us i think planned on buying the full product anyway. And we know the rules for PS+, the second you don't pay the games vanish. But to their credit they re-appear with all saves intact the second you start paying again, and on PS4 stuff that wasn't even announced as crossbuy showed up for no extra charge, like Pinball Arcade tables. Also Flow appeared on my PS4 even though i only got it when it was "free" on PS3. So all in all it's quite fair and transparent. Just don't forget to pay, there ain't no grace period :huh:

So $60 for a full copy of the game that you can access any time or $50 for the content that you can't access if your PS+ lapses....... really? Also can't carry over progress? Isn't that just a saved game?

There has to be a typo somewhere, because I really have a hard time thinking they mean that the $50 upgrade is for a version you don't actually own.

The worrying thing is that there are 50 cars...that's not much, Asphalt 7 has more. Or am i reading something wrong? Anyway it's all from Eurogamer, so take it with a pinch of sodium.

There has to be a typo somewhere, because I really have a hard time thinking they mean that the $50 upgrade is for a version you don't actually own.

Apparently they were pretty clear about it in some video I did not watch but read several people reference on Gaf, but I do think they will no doubt reconsider things because of the backlash.

If they keep things as they are, I think it is very clear which version to get, the retail version for $60.

Even for someone like myself, who actually has my Playstation + sub locked in until 2019 (that's not a type-o LOL), I would not choose to say $10 if it means I eventually will not own the game if my + sub ever were to expire.

With all that said, I do think perhaps something was lost in translation somehow. There have been plenty of discounts offered to + members but they get to keep the game no matter what, but perhaps this is Sony's first attempt to actually try and make some money off of +, especially due to the recent reports of the money they are losing overall. I just cannot see how on paper they make any money at all with + with all the content they have offered thus far.

I still say + is the best subscription gaming service by a long shot, like it is not even a contest, so if this is the one blemish on what is the overall stellar service, so be it. But I do think they will eventually back track if it is indeed the case.

Apparently they were pretty clear about it in some video I did not watch but read several people reference on Gaf, but I do think they will no doubt reconsider things because of the backlash.

If they keep things as they are, I think it is very clear which version to get, the retail version for $60.

Even for someone like myself, who actually has my Playstation + sub locked in until 2019 (that's not a type-o LOL), I would not choose to say $10 if it means I eventually will not own the game if my + sub ever were to expire.

With all that said, I do think perhaps something was lost in translation somehow. There have been plenty of discounts offered to + members but they get to keep the game no matter what, but perhaps this is Sony's first attempt to actually try and make some money off of +, especially due to the recent reports of the money they are losing overall. I just cannot see how on paper they make any money at all with + with all the content they have offered thus far.

I still say + is the best subscription gaming service by a long shot, like it is not even a contest, so if this is the one blemish on what is the overall stellar service, so be it. But I do think they will eventually back track if it is indeed the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bSteMxFi

So $60 for a full copy of the game that you can access any time or $50 for the content that you can't access if your PS+ lapses....... really? Also can't carry over progress? Isn't that just a saved game?

I don't think the PS+ restriction becomes as much of a factor when you consider that you need it for multiplayer (which this game was built around). That being said I'd still like to see them change that so it's like any other game you buy at a PS+ discounted price.  

I'll be getting it retail if anything, mainly due to the fact that I generally don't trade games in but will lend/pass them down to friends that join the console cycle later.

"We are giving away a free game but we would rather have you buy it at the same price". :s

This is a crazy move from a company cheerleading the "For the Gamers" campaign. This is as bad as the Forz5 DLC thing but obviously won't be controvertial "because you always have an option to buy full game". :laugh:

It's on the official PS blog.

I don't think the PS+ restriction becomes as much of a factor when you consider that you need it for multiplayer (which this game was built around). That being said I'd still like to see them change that so it's like any other game you buy at a PS+ discounted price.  

I'll be getting it retail if anything, mainly due to the fact that I generally don't trade games in but will lend/pass them down to friends that join the console cycle later.

That argument doesn't fly according my experience in the XBL Gold threads.

That's fine, we never knew what exactly would be offered to PS+, and most of us i think planned on buying the full product anyway. And we know the rules for PS+, the second you don't pay the games vanish.

That only applies to games you get free in the Instant Game Collection; the outrage here is you're paying for the full game upgrade and you can't access it if your Plus subscription expires.

The worrying thing is that there are 50 cars...that's not much, Asphalt 7 has more. Or am i reading something wrong? Anyway it's all from Eurogamer, so take it with a pinch of sodium.

What's with the Eurogamer hate? They were quoting directly from the PlayStation Blog post, which was linked in the original post, but I'll link it again: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/05/07/whats-included-driveclub-playstation-plus-edition/

And yes, they did say the same in the video they put out...

To be fair, it is just a demo we're getting for free, however, I don't have a problem with that - given the rewrite I imagine the game has cost them a small fortune now, and they have to recoup that.

The upgrade is stupid though. Just put the full download game on PS Plus with a 20% discount or something. Why do they have to overcomplicate it with "upgrade" pricing.

The upgrade part makes absolutely no sense. Willing to bet with the backlash that gets scrapped completely and you simply have to buy the full game.

Pretty much just makes the PS+ edition a stereotypical demo - You get to play it but still need to buy the full game and progress isn't carried over :/

That only applies to games you get free in the Instant Game Collection; the outrage here is you're paying for the full game upgrade and you can't access it if your Plus subscription expires.

What's with the Eurogamer hate? They were quoting directly from the PlayStation Blog post, which was linked in the original post, but I'll link it again: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/05/07/whats-included-driveclub-playstation-plus-edition/

And yes, they did say the same in the video they put out...

Understand the outrage, but didn't understand the deal itself. It's basically $10 off the game if you upgrade from the free version to the full version, which is then tied to your PS+ account, right? Silly idea, either free or full price, no need for complicated upgrade offers. It's more proof that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, they probably thought they were offering people more choice.

And don't get carried away...i hardly hate Eurogamer...i read them all the time, but like most game sites they oversensationalize things more often than not. It was not said with hate, just caution.

Understand the outrage, but didn't understand the deal itself. It's basically $10 off the game if you upgrade from the free version to the full version, which is then tied to your PS+ account, right? Silly idea, either free or full price, no need for complicated upgrade offers. It's more proof that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, they probably thought they were offering people more choice.

And don't get carried away...i hardly hate Eurogamer...i read them all the time, but like most game sites they oversensationalize things more often than not. It was not said with hate, just caution.

The issue isn't the upgrade, the issue is losing access to the game when your PS+ sub expires.

When you buy a game with a PS+ discount, it is yours to keep regardless if your sub expires. With Driveclub, you will lose access to the game when your sub expires, even though you've paid to upgrade to the full game.

Hopefully they respond to the backlash and change it :no:

• Like 1

I'm amazed Sony is really trying this. considering how much positive goodwill they have built up, it seems strange they would try this, which is why I thought it was a typo or something.

I guess Sony wants to test the waters and see if this is accepted. The question is, do they change policies before it launches due to the internet backlash, or will they take the heat in order to see if sales paint a different picture.

The issue isn't the upgrade, the issue is losing access to the game when your PS+ sub expires.

When you buy a game with a PS+ discount, it is yours to keep regardless if your sub expires. With Driveclub, you will lose access to the game when your sub expires, even though you've paid to upgrade to the full game.

Hopefully they respond to the backlash and change it :no:

Yes, i understand the issue. For $10 off it is definitely not worth it, and sounds like a bad idea. I'm sure it will be scrapped. Besides, most of us will likely get the full version anyway. I am really more worried about that car count. We don't need a thousand, but 50 is really too low, even if there are 55 tracks (which is massive). Might be the first racing game since Daytona USA with more tracks than cars :|

UPDATE: Our priority for DRIVECLUB is to enable you to play and enjoy everything it has to offer and PlayStation  recognises that the prior plan for DRIVECLUB entitlement for the upgrade to the PS Plus edition was not appropriate. As a result, we have adjusted the PlayStation Plus terms for DRIVECLUB.

Now, If you intend on downloading DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition, and upgrading to the full game experience, you will have access to the full game even if your PlayStation Plus subscription runs out.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/05/07/whats-included-driveclub-playstation-plus-edition/

GG Sony (Y)

Normal service has been resumed. (Y) I suspect most people here will still buy the physical edition though; you'd only be saving ?6 buying the digital upgrade.

Well that's a relief. The only issue remaining was who's idea brought the policy about? Sony or Evolution studios? We may never know.

I still really think the original "plan" was a just miscommunication or poorly worded press release. But I'm glad it has been officially cleared up either way.

I still really think the original "plan" was a just miscommunication or poorly worded press release. But I'm glad it has been officially cleared up either way.

Maybe but this shows why it is pointless to be an absolute shill for your favourite company. When they do something crappy join the train in critizing and changes can be made (Y)

2 new videos shared today.

Looking pretty damn good to me. The amount of detail in the background and environment really is impressive. The lighting looks fantastic. Sure some jaggies can be seen upon close inspection, however they are nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I will say though I am slightly disappointed in the fact the driving itself does not seem very arcade like at all.

I agree DL. I think it looks pretty good, but I'm a little disappointed it's leaning towards the sim side of the scale rather than the arcade side. I'm not one for racers in general, especially sims. I was hoping for something more laid-back.

• Like 2