• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#16 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 May 2014 - 00:06

Mine is horrible, spins up to 100% for 2-3 seconds everytime I close a tab on Chrome 

This doesn't sound like a drive issue...

Likely, Chrome pages the tab data to disk and needs to access it when you close the tab (maybe to delete something?)... The drive has to spin up when told it needs to actually do something.

#17 Zidane

Zidane

Spoutcraft Lead

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 08 May 2014 - 00:15

Maybe I'm the odd one out but I don't see the perpetual need to have the enormous amount of space some folks around here strive for

500GB is way more than I'd ever need. Just as an example.

Then again, I don't store a lot of music/pictures. Mostly just application coding.

#18 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

Posted 08 May 2014 - 00:17

Maybe I'm the odd one out but I don't see the perpetual need to have the enormous amount of space some folks around here strive for

Then again, I don't store a lot of music/pictures. Mostly just application coding.

Among all the files someone can have, I have double or triple backups of everything I have. I even did an image of my SSD 1 hour ago, forgot to do it since I installed a new 512Gb ssd and installed Win 8.1 Pro. I never reinstalled Windows 7 since it was released. It was time to go to Windows 8.1 with my 15$ key , for those that remember that special deal.

With classic shell, everything is where I need it to be.

#19 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 08 May 2014 - 00:39

This doesn't sound like a drive issue...

Likely, Chrome pages the tab data to disk and needs to access it when you close the tab (maybe to delete something?)... The drive has to spin up when told it needs to actually do something.

I don't think mines broken. I'm just bitterly and jealousy complaining about his quiet drive.

#20 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:18

394.gif

You somehow managed to take a gif of my face while reading this thread. And I don't have a webcam.

I am frightened and confused.

#21 ironsight2000

ironsight2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:02

why no RAID 0 ?  What about 10, or 0+1 ?

One drive fails in raid 0 every thing is gone. no redundancy

#22 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:13

Are the 4TB reds helium filled?

#23 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:13

Very nice!

#24 jasondefaoite

jasondefaoite

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:24

Are the 4TB reds helium filled?

No.

#25 Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta

Neowinian

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:43

Nice... Congrats.. Hope you have a backup device to backup that 16TB of yours :p

#26 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:12

One drive fails in raid 0 every thing is gone. no redundancy

I realize that - just wondering why someone said to not do a RAID 0 with these drives in particular.

#27 +RedReddington

RedReddington

member_id=28229

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:43

Ditto!!

Even 100GB of music is more than a life times worth if its in MP3.

Although I LOVE the WD RED Line. I have a 1TB one. 

#28 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:22

There is nothing wrong with future proofing or just not worrying about space at all.. and he'll likely use them in a RAID setup and only end up with 8TB or 4TB anyway.

I've always just bought what i needed and it ends up being a nightmare... i got a 256gb SSD in my mac, i thought it would be enough but wasn't so i got a 1TB portable hdd to carry around, which is now almost full. Then i bought a PC with 1TB that is now almost full, so i bought a 240GB ssd and used the 1TB for data only.. both are now almost full and i don't have a single backup... so now it's more consolidating. waste of time and money.

#29 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:38

Someone downloads a lot of 1080p Blu-ray Disc rips (or Blu-ray Disc ISOs) :)

#30 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:39

"There is nothing wrong with future proofing or just not worrying about space at all."

Not cost effective -- if you have need of say 2TB of space today why would you buy 16TB?  So he is going to raid everyone assumes - so lets say 8TB he bought he doing 10 or 0+1, etc.  Seems pretty pricey to store what exactly - home movies?  Unless he plans on ramp up on his storage needs very very quickly 8TB if he 2 is quite a bit of growth..  Why spend $ per GB when he does not have use of the space, next month the price per GB is going to be lower, and prob the 6TB drives are out, etc..

Maybe he just is updating his 3TB drives because they are full, in that case ok..  Without knowing what his storage needs and use is currently it is very hard to say.

But I would not suggest someone buy large amounts of space today if they don't need it..  Drives are just going to be faster and cheaper next week, why buy space to sit empty.  The drive is not going to last forever as well, so buying a drive that sits empty just so it can fail with 10% of is space used is pointless waste of money.