Report: June Wii U Update Will Shorten Boot Up By 20 Seconds

Nintendo will reportedly be rolling out an update to get your Wii U up and running faster. According to analyst David Gibson, who is at the company's investor briefing in Japan, an update is due out next month to do just that.

According to Gibson, the results will be improved boot-up times in the neighborhood of 20 seconds. Nintendo might not have an "instant on" feature like the Xbox One or a standby mode akin to PS4, but this update would get the Wii U much closer to that.

[source: David Gibson on Twitter]

Our Take

Consumers typically undervalue instant (or speedy) start-up times. The less time you spend waiting around, the more time you're gaming. More importantly, if a system starts more quickly, it's easier to jump in for shorter play sessions. This is a good target area for Nintendo, provided there are new games coming to play. 

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/07/report-june-wii-u-update-will-shorten-boot-up-by-20-seconds.aspx

Reducing boot-up to 20 seconds, or reducing it by 20 seconds?

I've been hearing this for ages...

No you havent  since they never siad this before  besides a  Pre-boot menu to boot in to commonly  used  apps or games on the Wii U before Boot  but you we none of us  have heard anything about Faster boot speeds   for system start up but we have had and  in place  faster system in the menus and other stuff  

No you havent  since they never siad this before  besides a  Pre-boot menu to boot in to commonly  used  apps or games on the Wii U before Boot  but you we none of us  have heard anything about Faster boot speeds   for system start up but we have had and  in place  faster system in the menus and other stuff  

They have been for almost 6 months talking about faster resume from store, faster resume from games, etc (done), faster launch times, and a overall faster experience.

i would say reduced by 20sec   cause current from power button on gamepad to the time it takes to load everything on Wii U it takes 35sec   so if it  was reduced  by 20sec  that bring it down to 15sec  but even if it is to make it only  a 20sec bootup  that is still 15sec  faster

They have been for almost 6 months talking about faster resume from store, faster resume from games, etc (done), faster launch times, and a overall faster experience.

yes i know this i own a Wii U but i was replaying to your comment based  on i assumed you was more like ( yea all believe that when it happens they have siad that for ages  but nothing) .    the boot time itself has never really changed  from power to everything loaded  on Wii U 

Great. Thanks for the heads up - I just happened to update my Wii U as it's been powered down (it's been in the storage unit - long story).

It would be rather interesting to see them improve it by 20 seconds, cause that would then make it instant on. As it only takes about 20 seconds from pushing the power button to be in control.

On another note, i'd like to see the summer update allow me to use the gamepad controls in classic controller compatible games in wii mode.

• Like 1

Would really love to see Nintendo incorporate something similar to Sony's Cross-buy platform between the the Wii U and 3DS :yes:

The fast-boot will be a great addition to the OS though (Y)

Would really love to see Nintendo incorporate something similar to Sony's Cross-buy platform between the the Wii U and 3DS :yes:

The fast-boot will be a great addition to the OS though (Y)

Yeah they REALLY need to implement some sort of Cross Buy system. I have specifically not purchased games because of them not supporting it. I refuse to purchase the same game twice and instead of having it once I would rather not have it at all just to make a point. May be stubborn but I am sticking to it.

And I am very curious to see this 20 second claim in action, as really my WiiU does not take all that long at all to get to the main menu from me pressing the power button. Unless the Zelda bundle includes some mystical mysterious power from the lands of Hyrule that makes it boot faster.  :laugh:

Not that boot times are that big of an issue, but just how long does it take a Wii U to go from off to the UI these days? If they still have 20 seconds to shave off that then it must be lengthy :|

Doesn't matter though, i'd still get a Wii U in a heartbeat if i could comfortably afford it :cry:

My N64 boot time is 2 seconds tops. it's 18 years old. Come on Wii U. Get yer head in the game!

obviously joking

I just timed my Wii U's boot up (literally, gamepad in one hand, stopwatch on phone in the other) and it took ~20 seconds from pressing the power button on the controller to main screen.

I don't get this. Maybe because I have the normal, white bundle with no HDD connected? :s If they reduce it by 20 seconds it will be instant-on  :laugh:

• Like 1

I just timed my Wii U's boot up (literally, gamepad in one hand, stopwatch on phone in the other) and it took ~20 seconds from pressing the power button on the controller to main screen.

I don't get this. Maybe because I have the normal, white bundle with no HDD connected? :s If they reduce it by 20 seconds it will be instant-on  :laugh:

Yeah lol - I have the same thing you have - the "normal" white 8-GB one, not the black deluxe 32-GB one.

Sweet, I want instant-on!

well i timed mined around 34sec  that is until everything is up and loaded on the screen    or so    i have a video below to show this  i have the 32gb model  Zombie  U version  tho that  dont matter much i dont think 

• Like 1

Yep, i got the same result when i was bored one day and timed boot times for my 3 consoles. About 20 seconds from power to having control.

Interesting that people are having varying results...Are you all using the latest firmware?

Will have to test mine later :unsure:

Yep, the system auto-updates so mine is up to date. I have the 32GB zelda bundle with no external HDD(if an hdd would somehow make a difference).

I will try to time mine at some point this weekend. I am pretty positive mine will be around the 20 seconds area, possibly even less. My WiiU boots up pretty damn quick. And I did own the WiiU at launch (different model), so I am very well aware how long it can potentially take. It was INSANE how long it used to take.

fwiw, have you seen how long it takes the PS4 to boot from Standby? it's got to be on par w/ the Wii U.

i'd imagine that the 20 second thing means reduced to 20 seconds, not by 20 seconds.

• Like 1

(if an hdd would somehow make a difference).

Having to access/read an external drive might slow down boot up. If it takes several seconds for the drive to start spinning at the necessary RPM to read I thought it might cause lag. But no firmware update could negate that.

For those of us who don't have issues with slow boot up, this update mightn't do much for us in that department.

For those of us who don't have issues with slow boot up, this update mightn't do much for us in that department.

i timed my Wii U's boot the other day. it was 23 seconds to a usable state. no biggie.

these times you guys are posting are fine, 20-30 seconds for boot from off to control is perfectly reasonable