Report: June Wii U Update Will Shorten Boot Up By 20 Seconds

wii u nintendo firmware

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:06

I just timed my Wii U's boot up (literally, gamepad in one hand, stopwatch on phone in the other) and it took ~20 seconds from pressing the power button on the controller to main screen.

I don't get this. Maybe because I have the normal, white bundle with no HDD connected? :s If they reduce it by 20 seconds it will be instant-on  :laugh:

Yep, i got the same result when i was bored one day and timed boot times for my 3 consoles. About 20 seconds from power to having control.

#17 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:55

Well agian my system  my Wii U takes 34 to 35sec to boot   so i dont know how you guys  get 20sec  but  either way  

#18 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:56

Interesting that people are having varying results...Are you all using the latest firmware?

Will have to test mine later :unsure:

#19 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:08

Yep, the system auto-updates so mine is up to date. I have the 32GB zelda bundle with no external HDD(if an hdd would somehow make a difference).

#20 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:32

I will try to time mine at some point this weekend. I am pretty positive mine will be around the 20 seconds area, possibly even less. My WiiU boots up pretty damn quick. And I did own the WiiU at launch (different model), so I am very well aware how long it can potentially take. It was INSANE how long it used to take.

#21 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 09 May 2014 - 13:41

fwiw, have you seen how long it takes the PS4 to boot from Standby? it's got to be on par w/ the Wii U.

i'd imagine that the 20 second thing means reduced to 20 seconds, not by 20 seconds.

#22 OP compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 09 May 2014 - 18:46

(if an hdd would somehow make a difference).

Having to access/read an external drive might slow down boot up. If it takes several seconds for the drive to start spinning at the necessary RPM to read I thought it might cause lag. But no firmware update could negate that.

For those of us who don't have issues with slow boot up, this update mightn't do much for us in that department.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 May 2014 - 18:54

what if you guys fully unplug it's power first and then start it up.

#24 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 May 2014 - 15:13

For those of us who don't have issues with slow boot up, this update mightn't do much for us in that department.

i timed my Wii U's boot the other day. it was 23 seconds to a usable state. no biggie.

#25 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:41

these times you guys are posting are fine, 20-30 seconds for boot from off to control is perfectly reasonable

#26 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 15 May 2014 - 15:33

agreed, I never had issues with boot.. my problem has always been the delay in navigating around the dashboard.. going into message or friends seem to take way to long for a basic app.  If I am in a rush to play something.. its not going to be on the wii u.

side note - Remix 2 is a GREAT game, great mix of oldschool NES games played in a crazy way with insane challenges.

#27 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 May 2014 - 15:41

fwiw, have you seen how long it takes the PS4 to boot from Standby? it's got to be on par w/ the Wii U.

i'd imagine that the 20 second thing means reduced to 20 seconds, not by 20 seconds.

The PS4 is near-instant for me. By the time I turn the PS4 on and the TV turns on, I'm at the PS4 login menu, the only time it takes longer is off of a cold boot.