• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#16 rr_dRock

rr_dRock

Resident Magical Lion v1.2

• 884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy SIV (CM11), iPhone 4S

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:01

It is meant for individual support, right now you have to work two minimum wage jobs to support one person. Imagine trying to support a family when you cant even support yourself. Having both parents working two jobs, and still managing to care for their children is even worse to imagine.

I believe it was quoted that if the minimum wage went to $15 the cost of a single shopping trip to walmart would only increase the total bill about .15c a transaction.

Source for that  fairly ridiculous assertion?

The fact is, if you have to pay people more money (almost double in a lot of cases), the cost of the product is going to go up with that. The businesses are not going to take a profit cut out of the goodness of their hearts.

If you think that labour cost going up doesn't affect product price, please never manage anything, anywhere.

#17 xrobwx

xrobwx

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

• 982 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:02

The problem I see is, when they got hired they agreed to the pay offered. My favorite kind of people, the ones that think they are worth more than they actually are. (labor wise) 

#18 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 1,041 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:32

Source for that  fairly ridiculous assertion?

The fact is, if you have to pay people more money (almost double in a lot of cases), the cost of the product is going to go up with that. The businesses are not going to take a profit cut out of the goodness of their hearts.

If you think that labour cost going up doesn't affect product price, please never manage anything, anywhere.

Okay, I was alittle off. http://www.businessi...u-2013-7#!K4RPV

If it was $12.50, it would go up about .70c A TRIP! A 1.1% price increase isn't going to destroy the economy. 1.5%=/- a .1% for $15 an hour.

Quit acting like I didn't do my research when I am way closer than you to being correct. Please never argue anywhere without proper facts, it makes you look foolish.

The problem I see is, when they got hired they agreed to the pay offered. My favorite kind of people, the ones that think they are worth more than they actually are. (labor wise) 

All 38+ hour legal jobs should pay a living wage. Theres no point in a job where one person cannot live off of their earnings.

#19 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,862 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:43

It is meant for individual support, right now you have to work two minimum wage jobs to support one person. Imagine trying to support a family when you cant even support yourself. Having both parents working two jobs, and still managing to care for their children is even worse to imagine.

I believe it was quoted that if the minimum wage went to $15 the cost of a single shopping trip to walmart would only increase the total bill about .15c a transaction.

I find that very hard to believe, as in the past year my electric bills have went up 20%, natural gas up 40%, water up 15% food went up almost 30%, gasoline don't get me started....

and that was with a small increase in minimum wage that happens yearly... costs are rising already, if we have to pay more for everything it will rise faster.

It feels like what will happen is the lower income people will get more money right off the bad, the salaried people will be slow to see a wage increase. So it will make the lower end higher disproportionately costs will go up, the poor will still be bad off, the middle will be worse off, but the rich will be about the same...

at least that's how it seems to me

#20 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,772 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:45

meh, they would simply hire more obedient workers, or replace existing rebelious workers with automated machinery whenever possible.

Perfect. Replace them with robots, and then I can get my order correct. Because you know telling someone "no mayo" is so ####ing difficult to follow. And then you have the "oh here's some fries, let me empty all the salt in the pacific ocean onto them" or the "let me burn the bacon to where it ends up tasting like burnt cardboard".

If you can't follow simple instructions or do your job correctly, you don't deserve $15 or even $10. Sorry.

#21 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,862 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:46

Okay, I was alittle off. http://www.businessi...u-2013-7#!K4RPV

If it was $12.50, it would go up about .70c A TRIP! A 1.1% price increase isn't going to destroy the economy. 1.5%=/- a .1% for $15 an hour.

Quit acting like I didn't do my research when I am way closer than you to being correct. Please never argue anywhere without proper facts, it makes you look foolish.

All 38+ hour legal jobs should pay a living wage. Theres no point in a job where one person cannot live off of their earnings.

I know banks around here that pay full time workers (250 days a year 40hrs a week) only $25k a year that's only $12.50 an hour... and around here $25k a year is below poverty level which is $26k a year based on cost of living where I am at

#22 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,546 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:47

In my opinion, minimum wage should be the absolute minimum required for the employee to afford housing and food in the area that they're working in. If these workers want to have kids, go to school, go on vacations, etc. then they either need to work a second job or win the lottery.

Minimum wage jobs are minimum for a reason. They require little to no skills or education, and they are not and should not be considered careers.

That being said, if NYC McDonald's employees are getting paid the same amount as McDonald's employees in Oklahoma, then that is a serious problem. There is no way that wage is livable in any burrow in NYC. The wage for a fast food job shouldn't be the same corporate wide, and it should really depend on the state and city of that job. If that's what these people are fighting for, then I'm all for it. If they simply want more money because they hate being poor, then tough.

#23 Klownicle

Klownicle

I get a custom title? Sweett.

• 1,505 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:50

There still fighting this one eh?  Maybe with the strike the country will get less obese.  I can see the wage getting increased, but no where near $15.  You want a better job, get a better education.  You can live off a lot less than 15$ an hour.  You just don't want to.  O what, you have kids and your under 21?  How's that drinking and smoking habit working out for you?  Or that expensive car you can't pay for. Hmm, wonder who's fault that is.  Lets blame the company I work for, and they'll make everything else right. O I don't like where I'm at, or I don't like management rolls in life.  I'm just going to sit where I am and let the world work for me.  :rolleyes:

Excuses are like :pinch: , everyone has one.

#24 ensiform

ensiform

Neowinian

• 539 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:50

I just don't see how people are expecting a fast food joint to be a 1 job end all be all for their financial situation.  It's not supposed to be livable income.  Its supposed to be side job for extra money if you are no longer 14/15.  Having a union and major pay raise will only cause things to get much much worse that they won't be able to eat at their own fast food joint because the prices will sky rocket.

#25 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,552 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:54

What cracks me up is I know people who complain about this and complain they cannot support their 3 kids by themselves as a single parent.  Then they drive around in expensive cards and clothing and whatever else.

#26 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,762 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:54

McDonalds and Burger King aren't exactly cheap anymore. I'm not sure I look forward to a $15 meal at either of those places.

Also I supported myself with a $10 an hour job while going to school and paying for that on my own too. People just need to get their priorities straight.

#27 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

• 3,956 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 15:58

Could SOMEONE please explain to me how raising a minimum wage to say $15 an hour helps people? I keep hearing "its a livable wage" how? when you raise costs everything else goes up proportionately to cover the new increase in worker costs... so how are you making out? besides pushing inflation faster?

You're kinda on the right track but I think you meant something different.

Simple example:

McDs employee currently gets ~$10/hr (I'm in Canada where this is true)

McDs employee demands (and let's assume that they get) a raise to $15/hr

Pay is raised 50%

You're assuming that the price of everything then goes up 50% to compensate? If so, that's incredibly flimsy and essentially impossible. If I've misunderstood what you meant let me know.

Some light afternoon reading: http://www.bloomberg...15-minimum-wage

#28 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 1,041 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 16:05

I find that very hard to believe, as in the past year my electric bills have went up 20%, natural gas up 40%, water up 15% food went up almost 30%, gasoline don't get me started....

and that was with a small increase in minimum wage that happens yearly... costs are rising already, if we have to pay more for everything it will rise faster.

It feels like what will happen is the lower income people will get more money right off the bad, the salaried people will be slow to see a wage increase. So it will make the lower end higher disproportionately costs will go up, the poor will still be bad off, the middle will be worse off, but the rich will be about the same...

at least that's how it seems to me

The problem is that the rate at which minimum wage is raised is not compensating for all those other factors. Minimum wage workers are working for much less in value than they did 30 years ago.

I know banks around here that pay full time workers (250 days a year 40hrs a week) only $25k a year that's only $12.50 an hour... and around here $25k a year is below poverty level which is $26k a year based on cost of living where I am at

Bank tellers should technically earn less than food service employees, they only deal with money. Food service employees handle money, food, clean the store, manage inventory, deal with customers, etc. Besides that, wages should increase everywhere on the low end.

In my opinion, minimum wage should be the absolute minimum required for the employee to afford housing and food in the area that they're working in. If these workers want to have kids, go to school, go on vacations, etc. then they either need to work a second job or win the lottery.

Minimum wage jobs are minimum for a reason. They require little to no skills or education, and they are not and should not be considered careers.

That being said, if NYC McDonald's employees are getting paid the same amount as McDonald's employees in Oklahoma, then that is a serious problem. There is no way that wage is livable in any burrow in NYC. The wage for a fast food job shouldn't be the same corporate wide, and it should really depend on the state and city of that job. If that's what these people are fighting for, then I'm all for it. If they simply want more money because they hate being poor, then tough.

They are stating for minimum wage to EQUAL what it was 30 years ago is about 15.50.

There still fighting this one eh?  Maybe with the strike the country will get less obese.  I can see the wage getting increased, but no where near $15.  You want a better job, get a better education.  You can live off a lot less than 15$ an hour.  You just don't want to.  O what, you have kids and your under 21?  How's that drinking and smoking habit working out for you?  Or that expensive car you can't pay for. Hmm, wonder who's fault that is.  Lets blame the company I work for, and they'll make everything else right. O I don't like where I'm at, or I don't like management rolls in life.  I'm just going to sit where I am and let the world work for me.  :rolleyes:

Excuses are like :pinch: , everyone has one.

There aren't those jobs anymore, with manufacturing jobs on the decline, and only tech sector and service industry jobs are on the rise, and people HAVE to fill these positions to keep growth going in any sector. Are you seriously stating that these people do not deserve to be paid a living wage? Just because they are low education requirement jobs doesn't mean that the work isn't needed for society, IMO blue collar workers contribute way more than white collar workers. Not to say that white collar workers aren't important, but they definitely do not deserve the wage difference they receive, but since they are the ones who set the wages it's hard to fight this difference.

I just don't see how people are expecting a fast food joint to be a 1 job end all be all for their financial situation.  It's not supposed to be livable income.  Its supposed to be side job for extra money if you are no longer 14/15.  Having a union and major pay raise will only cause things to get much much worse that they won't be able to eat at their own fast food joint because the prices will sky rocket.

IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A LIVABLE INCOME. These aren't the jobs they used to be filled with teenagers, you have adults working here getting screwed over because of that stereotype. Food service workers should earn more than bank tellers!

What cracks me up is I know people who complain about this and complain they cannot support their 3 kids by themselves as a single parent.  Then they drive around in expensive cards and clothing and whatever else.

There are always going to be people who abuse any system, the solution isn't to punish those that don't.

McDonalds and Burger King aren't exactly cheap anymore. I'm not sure I look forward to a $15 meal at either of those places.

Also I supported myself with a $10 an hour job while going to school and paying for that on my own too. People just need to get their priorities straight.

Prices will in no way increase that much, if you can expect .70c at walmart during a visit, you may .03c more at mcdonalds per visit.

#29 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,432 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 16:08

Go for it you idiots, get fired, there will be hundreds of thousands unemployed individuals just waiting for your jobs

#30 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 1,041 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 16:13

Go for it you idiots, get fired, there will be hundreds of thousands unemployed individuals just waiting for your jobs

That's the mentality that ruins it for everyone. Do you honestly think that people should accept that instead of being offered a living wage we could just get someone else who will put up with it until it too effects them to the point they want to strike. There has to be a point where people who work should expect to survive.

All you are saying is that "People who are currently earning $0 find $7.25 more acceptable, until they realise what they are doing for that and then they complain, and the cycle repeats" Ask yourself, why is this problem continuing to cycle? Are these people greedy? Or maybe, just maybe, they actually have a valid point people who don't work the jobs do not realize.