I cant help thinking I should like this game, it looks like a cross between Tony Hawks and Crackdown, two games i have really enjoyed.

However it looks extremely boring from what I've seen of it so far, the game just doesn't look to have that much going for it once you get over it trying to be a bit wild / crazy.

It would be nice to play a demo to judge if the game is actually fun or not.

I cant help thinking I should like this game, it looks like a cross between Tony Hawks and Crackdown, two games i have really enjoyed.

However it looks extremely boring from what I've seen of it so far, the game just doesn't look to have that much going for it once you get over it trying to be a bit wild / crazy.

My feelings exactly. It's one of those games i'm liking the look of but really want to try out first.

So the game is choke full of scantily clad ladies? That doesn't sound like a good idea in this charged gaming climate.

I said the comedy is very similar to Deadpool, I didn't say every aspect is similar. There are some scantily clad women in a particular faction, but overall it's actually pretty diverse group of characters.

That's not a bad comparison, in terms of portions of the movement system and a small amount of the gameplay.

I don't know if they're releasing a demo, but reviews will be out before the game's released, including Neowin's.

I am for the first time in a long time considering cancelling my preorder.

Now for the record, I have had some concerns for quite some time now, and I just watched that videogamer review, and although it is only 2 guys opinions, so I take it as such, they do unfortunately mention a few of the things that I had concerns over.

I really started having major concerns once I saw the limited edition bundle being released in the UK. Here it is...

sunset-overdrive-hoodie.jpg

As ridiculous as this sounds, it is that damn hoodie that really made me worry about things.

See, I understand that since video games are an extremely big business, especially when we are talking about a 1st party MS exclusive, that mutiple people in both Insomniac and MS had to approve that Hoodie. The marketing teams. The brand teams. The art directors. Multiple teams and multiple people had to approve that hoodie.

Now that hoodie to me screams younger kids and not very mature whatsoever.

Clearly I have known from the beginning this game was not going to be a mature one. And that it was also going to be humorous, however that hoodie immediately said to me it is not going to be humor I am going to appreciate, and in fact that I very well may find annoying. The videogamer video said more than once how they could not help but feel this game was made for "hipsters," and yeah, I am not a hipster. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I just fear the game is going to not be deep enough for me. And trust me, since I play video games I know that most no video games are ever very deep, but this one is just coming off to me like the target demographic is 16-25.

I also do not have a lot of time to play much of anything these days. I already have a backlog of games that is getting quite large. So yeah, where I was initially looking forward to the game because Insomniac was behind it and it was a game I could play on my One, my initial interest has grown to huge concern, and as silly as it may sound it was the damn hoodie that pretty much sealed the deal for me. That hoodie is clearly targeted at a different demographic other than myself. And although I am sure the same can be said for a lot of video games, they do not go out of their way to make this clear. I feel like this game does.

LOL Larry, this is definitely one of my favourite posts on NW. Not buying a game because of a hoody :p Haha.

I know where you are coming from though, it was just amusing to read a long detailed post due to a hoody (and a seriously horrible one at that!)

Watched this, as spoken about already one bad preview, but it would be strange for Insomniac to mess up :/ Ratchet and Clank humour was really well done... Maybe MS did ask for a different vibe?

Sunset Overdrive Gameplay: Burns Impressions: http://youtu.be/pxHWISRq2kA

Watched this, as spoken about already one bad preview, but it would be strange for Insomniac to mess up :/ Ratchet and Clank humour was really well done... Maybe MS did ask for a different vibe?

The vibe is very much like everything you've seen from the game so far. In fact, it's just magnified tenfold... the humor in the previews has been relatively light compared to the actual game. Again, humor is pretty subjective, but it's clear this is an Insomniac game.

The thing that concerns me about the Tony Hawk comparison, which long time members know happens to be one of my favorite overall series, is that in Tony Hawk, grinding or rail slides took skill. You had to keep your balance.

It is my understanding, and perhaps I am wrong with this understanding, that in SO, there is no skill involved, that once you are grinding a ledge or wire, it is automatic, there is no balancing.

So while it may seem fun initially, I can see that getting old rather fast.

I actually hope I am very wrong in my understanding, but two reviews now have alluded to the fact I am not.

@ AB - it is truly a hideous hoody, and multiple people had to approve it. That worries me.  :rofl:

Yes, once you play an hour or so, it should become second nature. There's no balancing or anything like that; but, trust me, if balancing or anything else was required, this game would literally be impossible to play. When you're grinding, you're fighting enemies. If you had to balance at the same time as you were shooting, it would be the worst game ever made. This is a third-person action/shooter first and foremost, not a skateboarding simulator or arcade game.

Yes, once you play an hour or so, it should become second nature. There's no balancing or anything like that; but, trust me, if balancing or anything else was required, this game would literally be impossible to play. When you're grinding, you're fighting enemies. If you had to balance at the same time as you were shooting, it would be the worst game ever made. This is a third-person action/shooter first and foremost, not a skateboarding simulator or arcade game.

Makes sense actually.

I am going to keep my preorder. Since my expectations are not the highest, that could be a good thing. I may very well wind up being pleasantly surprised.

These make me laugh :D

That's actually one of the things I made sure to mention in my review. The game does a lot of stuff like that to put an emphasis on having fun.

NICE!

joystiq 10/10

gameinformer 9.3/10

egm 9/10

polygon 9/10

ign 9/10

the escapist 8/10

gamespot 8/10

eurogamer 8/10

metro 7/10

gametrailers 7/10

But... but... that one video reviewer said the game sucked!  /s

• Like 2

If you missed it, my review can be found here: https://www.neowin.net/news/sunset-overdrive-review-non-stop-over-the-top-action

Trust me, this game is really, really, really fun. While I can see some people not enjoying it, I think the vast majority of gamers are going to love it -- I even think a lot of non-gamers would love it.

If you missed it, my review can be found here: https://www.neowin.net/news/sunset-overdrive-review-non-stop-over-the-top-action

Trust me, this game is really, really, really fun. While I can see some people not enjoying it, I think the vast majority of gamers are going to love it -- I even think a lot of non-gamers would love it.

Excellent. Again it's kinda too bad that its coming out so close to Halo for me, buy I'll definitely be picking this up sooner rather than later.

Happy to see the reviews  :)

Didn't think Insomniac would really let anyone down, even with one or two negative previews.

And then they announce a holiday price cut for two days after I plan to get mine o.o

Geez, it's not like I couldn't use the money.  I could wait a couple days.

Don't really want to though. :blush:

The First 40 Minutes Of Sunset Overdrive In Action

Want to get a better feel for Insomniac's shooter? Here's the first 40 minutes of it action (we've also got a full Sunset Overdrive review here if you fancy it).

This video covers the opening and first few missions (there'll be some tips tomorrow as well). Interestingly, while reviewer Yannick and I played the game separately, we largely agree on many of the same points. Mechanically, it's a really enjoyable experience, especially once you've unlocked a few key moves - the freedom to zip, grind and bounce around a large city is endlessly rewarding once mastered. Combine that with a Ratchet & Clank-esq arsenal of weapons and you've got something not unlike 'Tony Hawk's Pro-Skater: the Shooter'.

The only downside is the humour. It's not all bad and you will laugh in places, but it's relentless. There's almost no interaction, event or line that isn't accompanied by a quip, eyebrow waggle or swear. By sheer volume alone some of it works - so much is thrown against so many walls that bits will stick. However, it can wear you down. Especially depending on how you feel about the style of humour here: is a shotgun with testicles likely to make you giggle? What about jokes aimed at crappy fetch quest mission design, during an actual crappy fetch quest mission?

Anyway: watch the video, let me know what you think and leave any questions in the comments.

• Like 1

Anyway: watch the video, let me know what you think and leave any questions in the comments.

Know I know for SURE I will never play this game.    Not sure why exactly, but the whole thing is just not interesting to me.

Looks like a very decent game if this is what look for, in a game...

Thanks but no thanks. Not my style!