The First 40 Minutes Of Sunset Overdrive In Action

Want to get a better feel for Insomniac's shooter? Here's the first 40 minutes of it action (we've also got a full Sunset Overdrive review here if you fancy it).

This video covers the opening and first few missions (there'll be some tips tomorrow as well). Interestingly, while reviewer Yannick and I played the game separately, we largely agree on many of the same points. Mechanically, it's a really enjoyable experience, especially once you've unlocked a few key moves - the freedom to zip, grind and bounce around a large city is endlessly rewarding once mastered. Combine that with a Ratchet & Clank-esq arsenal of weapons and you've got something not unlike 'Tony Hawk's Pro-Skater: the Shooter'.

The only downside is the humour. It's not all bad and you will laugh in places, but it's relentless. There's almost no interaction, event or line that isn't accompanied by a quip, eyebrow waggle or swear. By sheer volume alone some of it works - so much is thrown against so many walls that bits will stick. However, it can wear you down. Especially depending on how you feel about the style of humour here: is a shotgun with testicles likely to make you giggle? What about jokes aimed at crappy fetch quest mission design, during an actual crappy fetch quest mission?

Anyway: watch the video, let me know what you think and leave any questions in the comments.

Kotaku is the only website I've seen that has had a major issue with the humor.

Kotaku is the only website I've seen that has had a major issue with the humor.

Well, you know how those Brits are with their weird humour (sic). ;)

I have to say, so far the game is fantastic. It truly is. The gameplay videos do not really do it justice. It is actually pretty challenging to get the hang of, at least to the point you are traversing around smoothly and taking enemies out. I have the traversing smoothly. I do not have the traversing while taking out enemies down smoothly, especially when keeping your power up (I know it has a specific name, I do not remember it).

Now I only played about 90 minutes, but so far from what I played, I really, really dig it. I am glad I was DEAD WRONG over my initial concern.

I can also say the thing I was worried about the most so far, that it may be too immature or too childish, has so far not been prevalent at all.

Ironically I like it so much I am going to probably stop playing it so I can go and finish The Evil Within first, as I think if I really start playing it, I will forget TEW, and I do not want to, as I really like it as well. Two COMPLETELY different games obviously.

But yeah, it is pretty damn kick ass so far.

My one and only gripe, and I will say this for any game that does it, is DLC being available on Day 1. And I am not talking about Day One bonus DLC, I am talking straight up DLC. That just rubs me the wrong way. Even if they did in in the past few weeks, I will never get on board with additional content being released on the day a game is released.

That is a minor gripe though as I just do not have to purchase it, I absolutely realize it, but I just wish they chose to wait. Even a week would have sat better with me.

That is truly a small gripe though. Otherwise an awesome game. Insomniacs sensibility is all over it, and I have loved all of their previous games.

• Like 1

Combining the movement system with combat is pretty frustrating at the start, but it just clicks at some point within the first few hours. You'll unlock a few more moves, which help a bit more, too. You're probably not far from mastering it.

I think most people will love the game, even if the humor turns them off. It's just a really fun game.

Tips For Playing Sunset Overdrive

h79mcscscy4mjfkvwvax.png

Well hello there, fellow denizens of the awesomepocalypse. Looking forward to firing up Sunset Overdrive on your Xbox One in the near future? As I noted in my review: this can be a really great game, but appreciating it requires some extra legwork. Here are some tips to help you get there.

Link for the Spoiler Conscious: Kotaku

Ugh, I wish it was worth it for me to get this now as I want it real bad, but I'm going to be in the UK for work next week and then the week after Halo comes out - the week after that I'm on my honeymoon, so I don't really even have time to commit to this game right now, but I watched Engadget play it on Twitch earlier today and it looks fantastic. Really looking forward to it whenever I get the chance to pick it up.

Combining the movement system with combat is pretty frustrating at the start, but it just clicks at some point within the first few hours. You'll unlock a few more moves, which help a bit more, too. You're probably not far from mastering it.

I think most people will love the game, even if the humor turns them off. It's just a really fun game.

I literally spent the last 20 minutes or so of the 90 minutes I did get to play just traversing. Really getting the feel for it down. I actually love the fact I had to do that, as remember one of my earlier concerns was that it looked to easy. That is the furthest thing from the actual reality of the situation, and I love the fact that is how things are. It is going to be very rewarding once I do get it all down.

Tips For Playing Sunset Overdrive

h79mcscscy4mjfkvwvax.png

Well hello there, fellow denizens of the awesomepocalypse. Looking forward to firing up Sunset Overdrive on your Xbox One in the near future? As I noted in my review: this can be a really great game, but appreciating it requires some extra legwork. Here are some tips to help you get there.

Link for the Spoiler Conscious: Kotaku

Thanks for linking to this. I actually opened it on my lunch break at work and planned on reading it during one of my "mental breaks" in the afternoon, but had to much to do so could not read it. This are actually by far my favorite articles on Kotaku, as they always seem helpful to some degree.

I can see this game being the type of game I keep going back to for months to come. Since my time is so limited these days, that is one of the highest compliments I can give a game actually. As it means I want to take the little time I do have and play it, which does speak to the fact it is just fun. What I believe games should be first and foremost.

A good chunk of the time it's :huh: or :rolleyes: but sometimes :D

Definately enjoying the game.  It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's definitely solid.

Should I load up the coop mode?  I haven't even tried it yet.

I've been looking forward to this game, but I have to admit that I'm concerned that this game will be boring. 

Visually, it looks fun, but I'm concerned about the game play. It has been said that grinding isn't that much of a challenge. It could turn into a game where I'm constantly bouncing up and down while spamming my aim assisted crazy weapon. I'm hoping there's some sort of challenge and it doesn't get repetitive. 

I definitely had this reservation going into the game. The controls are pretty hectic when you first stay playing and it feels like you need a third hand just to keep up with all the craziness the game throws at you - it's definitely the kind of challenging game to give your hands a work out.  

However after a few hours it all just clicks and I found getting from A to B without touching the ground to be really good fun. 

That being said there is a lot of bouncing and spamming your trigger finger... 

Great fun so far! 

Yeah I found that too, when I first started playing I could barely get anywhere without being slaughtered, now I'm grinding and bouncing over everything and I only get slaughtered when I jump off the rails and try to melee a mob because I'm an idiot.

Reminds me a hell of a lot of Saints Row, and I like how they don't go super serious (e.g. the main character going "If this was a game I'd get a voice over tutorial right about now", cue voice over tutorial.), and I'm liking the variety of weapons and general world/character designs.

Yeah I found that too, when I first started playing I could barely get anywhere without being slaughtered, now I'm grinding and bouncing over everything and I only get slaughtered when I jump off the rails and try to melee a mob because I'm an idiot.

Reminds me a hell of a lot of Saints Row, and I like how they don't go super serious (e.g. the main character going "If this was a game I'd get a voice over tutorial right about now", cue voice over tutorial.), and I'm liking the variety of weapons and general world/character designs.

Yeah I was exactly the same. 13+ hours into the game and I'm no longer thinking about the controls and the movement feels completely fluid. Getting from A to B without touching the floor is so gratifying, especially if you can murder some OD/Scabs/Fizzbots on the way! 

I definitely agree with the comparison to Saints Row. Sunset Overdrive is basically this:

Saints Row (4th wall breaking + humour) + Crackdown (powers and collectibles) + Jet Set Radio (BECAUSE REASONS)

• Like 2

Was watching theradbrad play this on YouTube and, makes me wannanbuy an XB1. Looks like a really fun game

It was a great entry point to the platform I can tell you that.  I was actually pleasantly surprised overall, except the store was weird at launch (they fixed it just now.)

The X1 is still surprisingly glitchy at times with game installs/DLC installs...you'd think they'd have sorted that out by now but if they can fix that it'll be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Arright I just finished the game haha.  Weird.  Fun, but weird.  I'd give it about an 8.6.

Is there a campaign reset?  I didn't see one.

Most of these types give you a campaign reset option in a later patch if not right away, so hopefully soon enough.

• 1 month later...

For those like me who haven't gotten this yet, the digital versions are on sale (at least in the US). Normal edition is $36 and Deluxe (which includes the season pass and some other content) is $48 on xbox.com

Three new achievements, worth 25G each have also been added: http://news.xbox.com/2015/01/games-new-sunset-overdrive-achievements

Hardcore!: Buck National vs The Apocalypse
Beat the score of 600,000 on the Challenge "Buck's National vs The Apocalypse."

Hardcore!: Buck Strikes Back
Beat the score of 564,500 on the Challenge "Buck's Strikes Back."

Hardcore!: Buck Stops Here
Beat the score of 703,700 on the Challenge "Buck's Stops Here."