Creating Bootable Media
Create a Non-Secure-Boot Bootable ISO Image
Things to know and do before we begin:
- D: is your Windows installation files that are either on a DVD, USB Flash Drive or somewhere in the WIN8AIO folder which should be in the root of the drive chosen.
- If it is on DVD or Flash Drive then it will be in the root of that drive. Example: D: or H: or whatever.
- Make sure you have Windows 8.1 AIK installed.
- Click the "Start Button" and type cmd
- In the results you should see: Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment
- Right click that and Open as Administrator
In the command window type the first command below using your drive paths but without the dot in the beginning:
- oscdimg.exe -lWIN8AIO -m -u2 -bD:\WIN8AIO\boot\etfsboot.com D:\WIN8AIO C:\WIN8AIO.ISO
D:\WIN8AIO\boot\etfsboot.com is the path to the file named: etfsboot.com
D:\WIN8AIO is the windows installation files directory
C:\WIN8AIO.ISO is where it will create the ISO file
Create a Secure Boot USB Flash Drive
First you need to prep the USB Stick by cleaning it, petitioning it and formatting it. You will need the original ISO you got from Microsoft. This is great if you slipstreamed updates and need to make another secure boot USB Stick.
- Open an elevated command and type the following without the dot in the beginning:
- LIST DISK
- SELECT DISK X (X is the disk number of the disk you need to prep)
- CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
- SELECT PARTITION 1
- FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
Now we need to create the bootable USB Flash drive
First we need to copy the boot image from the original ISO to the USB Flash Drive.
- Mount the original ISO that you obtained from Microsoft and make notice of the drive letter that the Mounted ISO was assigned to.
- Also make notice of the drive letter your USB Flash Drive is assigned to.
- I will use H: as the drive letter for the ISO image and I: as the drive letter for the USB Flash Drive. You need to change the drive letter to match the drives of you USB Flash Drive and mounted ISO image.
Open an elevated command prompt and type do the following and type the following using your drive letters without the dots in the beginning of each command.
- CD BOOT
- BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 I:
Now open your mounted ISO image and copy and paste everything into your USB Flash Drive