Question

Posted

Samsung officially confirms no KitKat for Galaxy S III (GT-I9300) and Galaxy S III mini

Here at SamMobile, we get asked all sorts of questions, and in recent months, a recurring query has been about whether the Galaxy S III would be receiving an update to KitKat. There were many signs that it had been cancelled, but then recently, Sprint started rolling out KitKat to its variant of the Galaxy S III (which sports 2GB of RAM, like all US variants), raising hope that the international variant would get it as well. But a leaked document that we published yesterday once again said that the international model would not be updated, so we reached out to Samsung for clarification, and the response we

14 answers to this question

Posted

I thought KitKat lowers the requirements of the OS?

Posted

how disappointing, S3 is very capable to run KitKat along with Samsung bloatwares.

Posted

That's slightly disappointing.

Posted

So basically the device would be run it vanilla but not with all the bloatware they bundle.

2 people like this

Posted

So according to Samsung they cannot release KitKat for Galaxy S3 because this phone is not capable of running their bloatware.

1 person likes this

Posted

So basically the device would be run it vanilla but not with all the bloatware they bundle.

Yup thats basically it, 1gb is more than enough. My Mums Moto G runs Kitkat with 1gb of ram perfectly, it flys!

Same with my Galaxy Nexus which also has 1gb of ram (custom rom as Google couldn't be bothered updating it either)
1 person likes this

Posted

Not really surprising they wan`t to sell more phones at the end of the day! Everone knows it could/does easily run it...

Posted

Samsung officially confirms no KitKat for Galaxy S III (GT-I9300) and Galaxy S III mini because we cant run our "BLOAT" on the phones with 1gb RAM

FTFY.

Posted

Yup thats basically it, 1gb is more than enough. My Mums Moto G runs Kitkat with 1gb of ram perfectly, it flys!

Same with my Galaxy Nexus which also has 1gb of ram (custom rom as Google couldn't be bothered updating it either)

just going to post the same thing, i have a moto g and was actually suprised at the number of apps i could open without a slow down. I would have thought that the S3 would have been fine, obviously the touchwiz stuff is just too heavy.

Posted

Really hope more OEMs start going more vanilla Android.  Samsung has royally screwed up their phones with that stupid TouchWiz bloat interface.  It was ok with the S1, but now it is horrible.

Posted

Aha Samsung, using the RAM requirement as an excuse when Google specifically made the requirements of KitKat lower, so that cheapo handsets would hopefully stop shipping with 2.3

Installed CM11 on my Note 3 last night on a semi-related note  :rofl:

[attachment=360751:2014-05-08 22.36.55.png]

Posted

So according to Samsung they cannot release KitKat for Galaxy S3 because this phone is not capable of running their bloatware.

+1

Good thing there's hope for S3 on XDA who already have several roms on kitkat (Cyanogenmod included)

Posted

+1

Good thing there's hope for S3 on XDA who already have several roms on kitkat (Cyanogenmod included)

Slim Kat being one of them.

1 person likes this

Posted

L710VPUCND8_L710SPRCND8_L710VPUCND8_HOME.tar is what is loaded on my SIII right now. It's KitKat from Sprint. It is running just fine.