Quality Of Service (Good Vs Bad)

I was looking into this as I'd like to prioritize a certain application/service and one of the first comments I got was about the router I got.

So I picked up the WRT1900AC and the first comment was that this one has almost useless QOS. Now whether they are correct or not, my question is what's the difference?

What makes good QOS and what makes bad QOS? Shouldn't it really be the same idea no matter what?

What is my best option to getting something prioritized? I want Plex Media Server and anything related to that to be #1 on my network.

So the plex you use to serve stuff to the public net?  You want to prioritize that over your other network traffic.  So you want pretty much break your internet for your own use, and have someone streaming a movie take your whole internet pipe?

Remind us what your internet connection speeds are again - did you get that 50/50 pipe?

lol No, sadly I did not. I got the 150/15Mbps connection.

Now Plex will be limited on the client side of two clients of a max of 4Mbps, 8 in total, leaving a fair amount left over. I just want the plex service and anything it uses to have priority over anything else.

So the plex you use to serve stuff to the public net?  You want to prioritize that over your other network traffic.  So you want pretty much break your internet for your own use, and have someone streaming a movie take your whole internet pipe?

Remind us what your internet connection speeds are again - did you get that 50/50 pipe?

If your only using 8 of your 15, why would you ever need to prioritize plex?  Do you expect to use up the other 7 with something else - if you do this something else then suffers..

BTW the plex is wired right..  Your not serving this up over wireless?

So I take it your running native firmware on that -- latest, looks like it updated a few days ago

05/02/2014

Ver.1.1.7.160582

I will have to take a look at its manual - I doubt it has much 3rd party support as of yet?  But unless you have something sucking up more than your 7mbps up, and you limit the plex to 8 up then there is little reason to need qos.  That is if this thing even supports it.  Have to take a quick look at the manual.

edit:  Well this isn't a good sign

post-14624-0-13018700-1399686836.png

Ok well it does have some support it looks like - page 31

post-14624-0-08860400-1399687064.png

There you go, you can prioritize your plex.. Have fun.. What is limited with this qos is there does not seem to be multiple queues.. I don't see anywhere to view what is going on with the queues, etc.  As most native firmwares it has been dumbed down to the lowest level possible, with pretty colors and pictures as much as possible ;)  Unlikely it has much practical use other than letting the user think they have given higher priority to something over the other..  But sure looks like you can do what you want.

My original question is about QOS in general, how can one be good one be bad, shouldn't it be the same idea no matter what platform/firmware etc? ***(I guess you sort of answered that one)

As for only using 8Mbps by limiting the clients. At the moment I am still in my old place on my old connection. I only have one user remote and they tend to have issues.

One issue that made me think, maybe it needs to get prioritized, is that they loaded up plex, but it couldn't find the server. It was random, and eventually could find it, but it felt like a network issue.

So maybe its more of just an issue with Plex, but it felt like I should try to optimize my network for it when I do move.

That being said, as I haven't moved yet, I haven't setup the WRT1900AC yet, that will be the 20th of May.

*and yes, its wired.

"My original question is about QOS in general, how can one be good one be bad,"

Look at that limited functionality - and then look at something like tomato's qos

http://tomatousb.org/tut:using-tomato-s-qos-system

Where it allows you 10 different priority classes and granular control, and ability to view the details of your different queues you create.  While this gives you a shiny button to push ;)

So, you order a steak at http://www.applebees.com/ vs say at http://www.eddiemerlots.com/ they are both steaks, what is good or bad about one vs the other ;)

That makes sense, good thing this router will (at least should) get awesome firmware eventually).

That's a great post about QOS in general, basically all I needed to read.

"My original question is about QOS in general, how can one be good one be bad,"

Look at that limited functionality - and then look at something like tomato's qos

http://tomatousb.org/tut:using-tomato-s-qos-system

Where it allows you 10 different priority classes and granular control, and ability to view the details of your different queues you create.  While this gives you a shiny button to push ;)