the last of us naughty dog sony ps4 ps3 neil druckmann

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 10 May 2014 - 13:31

The Last of Us PS4's character models 'on par' with PS3 cutscene models
PS4 cinematics currently at 1080p/60fps, creative director confirms, could integrate 

The higher resolution character models featured in the PlayStation 4 remaster of The Last of Us will be "on par" with those featured in the PS3 version's cutscenes, creative director Neil Druckmann has told EDGE.

"We brought in all the hi-res models, and then it's on par with what you saw in the cutscenes," Druckmann said, speaking about the upcoming PS4 release with EDGE. "There's an improved lighting model. After that, we started looking across the board; enemies look a little blurry up close, so that was pretty easy. We ramped those up and saw a pretty significant difference.

"Our cinematics are now running at 1080p and 60fps, and that involved rendering them all from scratch," he continued. "It's interesting that now [instead of a technical bottleneck], the bottleneck is 'Can we fit all this on the disc?'"

Druckmann also suggested that Naughty Dog may look to take advantage of the features of the DualShock 4, adding that he wants to "give the option to switch which triggers you use to shoot and which ones you're using to listen and crouch.

"Then there are some ideas of how to use the touchpad that we'll play with and see if it's worth it," he added. "Mostly we don't want to mess with the experience too much, and we don't want to deviate from what made The Last of Us so great."

The Last of Us Remastered launches on PS4 this summer, with multiple retailers dating the game for release in June.

Source: http://www.videogame...ene_models.html

#2 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:21

All good, i'm just happy it will be all the DLC on one disc, plus I think it's going to retail for $50? But not sure, anyway, already pre-ordered it.

#3 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 May 2014 - 13:24

where the cut scenes pre rendered or live ?

if they where live then I'm not really impressed. if it's pre rendered it's about what you'd expect. 

#4 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2014 - 16:27

where the cut scenes pre rendered or live ?

if they where live then I'm not really impressed. if it's pre rendered it's about what you'd expect.

They were pre-rendered. I read somewhere that ND aren't particular fans of in-engine cutscenes.

I think we can safely assume a June release is not going to happen if they are still playing around with the touchpad input.

#5 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 11 May 2014 - 16:48

They were pre-rendered. I read somewhere that ND aren't particular fans of in-engine cutscenes.

I think we can safely assume a June release is not going to happen if they are still playing around with the touchpad input.

The whole game is done, there would be little testing or major resources being drained elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if basic touchpad input could be tested and patched in a day or two.

#6 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 12 May 2014 - 14:15

They say cinematic scenese are at 60fps. What about actual game play?

#7 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:46

Honestly i don't even remember cutscenes, and they looked like in-engine to me. Anyway Last of Us was so handsome, not really getting it again for the visuals but for the extra content on one disc, as i didn't have a chance to experience Left Behind and never got into the MP first time around. This should be good when it finally arrives.

#8 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:51

Honestly i don't even remember cutscenes, and they looked like in-engine to me. Anyway Last of Us was so handsome, not really getting it again for the visuals but for the extra content on one disc, as i didn't have a chance to experience Left Behind and never got into the MP first time around. This should be good when it finally arrives.

Probably pre-rendered using the game engine with a good enough bit-rate to look like they were being rendered in real time. Why not just render them in real time though? That takes less room on the disc. I don't remember there being too many things to render in real time.

#9 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:57

Probably pre-rendered using the game engine with a good enough bit-rate to look like they were being rendered in real time. Why not just render them in real time though? That takes less room on the disc. I don't remember there being too many things to render in real time.

True, and besides the PS4 version is bound to look "better" by default. Not that Last of Us really needed to look better. Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of those end of science "looks good enough" people, but for a PS4 version of an established PS3 title that was so good thanks to gameplay and story, even fancier graphics are truly optional.

#10 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:58

I played maybe a couple hours of it on PS3. Guess I'll be waiting and playing it on the PS4.

#11 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:59

True, and besides the PS4 version is bound to look "better" by default. Not that Last of Us really needed to look better. Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of those end of science "looks good enough" people, but for a PS4 version of an established PS3 title that was so good thanks to gameplay and story, even fancier graphics are truly optional.

What I want is a higher rendering resolution. 720p is pretty terrible after getting accustomed to 2560x1600 and the PS4 should be able to run a PS3 game at 1080p60 with no problem. They probably have textures in higher resolution so that too would be nice. 

#12 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:01

If you have over an hour to kill...  

#13 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:08

What I want is a higher rendering resolution. 720p is pretty terrible after getting accustomed to 2560x1600 and the PS4 should be able to run a PS3 game at 1080p60 with no problem. They probably have textures in higher resolution so that too would be nice. 

It will be 1080, no worries there. You can't expect the PS4 to compete with your PC, i mean just your monitor must have cost almost twice, depending when you bought it. Anyway, it will be an upgrade for sure. Gotta say even though i'm also a PC gamer i have no problems with the resolution on either X1 or PS4, what gets to me is aliasing. I'd take smoothness over more pixels any day of the week at this point. But we digress!

#14 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:40

It will be 1080, no worries there. You can't expect the PS4 to compete with your PC, i mean just your monitor must have cost almost twice, depending when you bought it. Anyway, it will be an upgrade for sure. Gotta say even though i'm also a PC gamer i have no problems with the resolution on either X1 or PS4, what gets to me is aliasing. I'd take smoothness over more pixels any day of the week at this point. But we digress!

I'm not expecting the PS4 to compete with my PC I just don't want to play games at 720p anymore. 1080p from a console is adequate and hopefully it's full 60fps during gameplay. I will get the TLoU remake for PS4. I didn't have time for the story DLC when it came out then I heard they're re-releasing, so I'll just wait for that version. 

That said I feel like the last gen was long overdue for a replacement. I just wish they had gone with slightly more powerful systems this time. They've sold them at a loss the past few generations, if they did so this generation too then we could have had pretty strong systems and PC gaming would have benefited graphically even more with a higher baseline that developers target. The XB1 primarily will be holding PC back for another 5-8 years. 

#15 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:59

I'm not expecting the PS4 to compete with my PC I just don't want to play games at 720p anymore. 1080p from a console is adequate and hopefully it's full 60fps during gameplay. I will get the TLoU remake for PS4. I didn't have time for the story DLC when it came out then I heard they're re-releasing, so I'll just wait for that version. 

That said I feel like the last gen was long overdue for a replacement. I just wish they had gone with slightly more powerful systems this time. They've sold them at a loss the past few generations, if they did so this generation too then we could have had pretty strong systems and PC gaming would have benefited graphically even more with a higher baseline that developers target. The XB1 primarily will be holding PC back for another 5-8 years. 

Agree these machines were overdue, was among those crying for new systems back in 2010. Agree that they could have been more powerful, but as you say both companies have had nearly a generation of selling at a loss. You can't expect businesses to keep doing that. I don't agree PCs have to be held back, if they are then it's due to lazy and greedy developers, not through any fault of MS or Sony.

As i keep saying graphics will not be "good enough" until you literally can't tell the difference from the real world, i.e. the Matrix. But it may take a while and i'm comfortable with the current consoles. Don't forget at least some developers will take the time to get more out of the hardware, which is not as underpowered as some make it seem. I expect even 1440p is possible with the right effort and optimization. Find a way to suspend the OS reserve and there you have it.

Keep saying this but no one notices, i mean you really think 5-7 billions 28nm transistor machines with 8GB RAM are weaklings? They're not. They're just not properly configured or utilized at this point, but we need to be patient. They will never exceed what is possible on much more expensive and vastly more powerful PCs, but they will get better than what we have now, for sure.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!