Good guy Sony.

Under no obligation to, I mean this only really became a 'thing' this gen with a bunch of self entitled members of the gaming community getting particularly vocal about it (I don't remember this kind of thing happening much over the past few decades of gaming). But glad to see Sony trying to keep people happy.

• Like 1

Good guy Sony.

Under no obligation to, I mean this only really became a 'thing' this gen with a bunch of self entitled members of the gaming community getting particularly vocal about it (I don't remember this kind of thing happening much over the past few decades of gaming). But glad to see Sony trying to keep people happy.

I think the way they look at it is they have the system in place to do it from PS4 launch and cross-gen, why not put it to use if we get some extra sales.

The only downside to it is people will probably need their PS3 TLoU discs in their console to authenticate like the other cross-gen games.

On another note the final season pass DLC has been detailed

I think the way they look at it is they have the system in place to do it from PS4 launch and cross-gen, why not put it to use if we get some extra sales.

The only downside to it is people will probably need their PS3 TLoU discs in their console to authenticate like the other cross-gen games.

On another note the final season pass DLC has been detailed

Yeah true, I reckon it will probably be more of a benefit for PR for them than anything though because there seems to be an overly excessive amount of hate being thrown at devs/platform holders for next-gen re-releases this time around, despite it having been done for everything on all forms of media since the dawn of time :/

Agree that the timing makes it a little suspect and uncomfortable, but it's not a repackaged version, it's an entirely different version. We paid $60 last year for the PS3 game, the PS4 version is technically unrelated. Of course we think they're related and we know they could have pushed it back a little and made it a PS4 launch title, and of course we know they know many of us will buy it the second time, so cynicism is a factor :| but just like with the other discussion we're having, emotion plays into this more than practicality. I'd like to see this priced at $40 but know it won't happen, as it does include a lot of substantial content that did not release with the PS3 version.

And let's not forget the industry is being realistic this time around by (so far) not levying the usual next gen tax, which is a definite improvement over previous cycles.

Should be discounted for everyone, not just some. Asking for full price from anyone for a repackaged version of a game you just released last year is ridiculous.

Bear in mind that the PS4 version includes all the season pass content, the game is being sold for less with it included, among the other new updates.

Cheaper would be nice but it's justified, just like every other GOTY from last gen. I suspect the price may drop faster on the PS4 version though.

No obligation but it will result in a hell of a lot more sales. They're under pressure when other companies happily offered a heavy discount on the Next-gen versions of games for people who had purchased the previous gen. Many people, myself included feel it's a bit cheeky to ask full price. It's still slightly more expensive than a new copy of the PS3 version with a season pass added on. 

Obviously people who didn't buy it on PS3 should pay full price, it's a brand new game for them. But if it were reduced I know I'd pick it up again.

No obligation but it will result in a hell of a lot more sales. They're under pressure when other companies happily offered a heavy discount on the Next-gen versions of games for people who had purchased the previous gen. Many people, myself included feel it's a bit cheeky to ask full price. It's still slightly more expensive than a new copy of the PS3 version with a season pass added on. 

Obviously people who didn't buy it on PS3 should pay full price, it's a brand new game for them. But if it were reduced I know I'd pick it up again.

Tend to agree with you and many others on a moral level, but not a technical level. So should Atlus/From offer me the PC version of DS2 at a cheaper rate because i already bought it on PS3 or 360? It's seemingly the same game and definitely from the same publisher, and we know the one month delay was equally for optimization as it was to "encourage" so-called double dipping,

Just an example - i don't have DS2 yet cause no longer have my PS3/360. But i do believe they could have released the PC version at the same time. Ultimately we know what we're getting into and there's no gun to our heads. Not yet :rolleyes:

Tend to agree with you and many others on a moral level, but not a technical level. So should Atlus/From offer me the PC version of DS2 at a cheaper rate because i already bought it on PS3 or 360? It's seemingly the same game and definitely from the same publisher, and we know the one month delay was equally for optimization as it was to "encourage" so-called double dipping,

Just an example - i don't have DS2 yet cause no longer have my PS3/360. But i do believe they could have released the PC version at the same time. Ultimately we know what we're getting into and there's no gun to our heads. Not yet :rolleyes:

I don't know if the offer crossed rival systems, I know it went  from 360 -> Xbox One, and PS3 -> PS4. 

But I don't think you should get it cheaper for PC since going onto nextgen consoles is a special case, especially this time around seeing as I don't think that offer happened last gen. 

I don't know if the offer crossed rival systems, I know it went  from 360 -> Xbox One, and PS3 -> PS4. 

But I don't think you should get it cheaper for PC since going onto nextgen consoles is a special case, especially this time around seeing as I don't think that offer happened last gen. 

Yes, the offers from EA and Activision were for same-brand consoles, as you say. Still it's the same concept. I thought of those upgrade offers as a nice gesture and also more logical because the timing was so close - literally a couple of weeks. Maybe it's not fair to expect it for a game that came out a year ago and that nominally at least had no PS4 version planned. Don't forget titles like Ghosts and BF4 were announced for PS4/X1 at the same time as for PS3/360.

It will be nice to get TLoU at a good price, but we don't need any favors. They can price it at $40, that would be super. Any upgrade offers might be even more unfair. I bought it day one on PS3 but have since traded the disc in and sold the console. Will Sony offer me the upgrade offer just based on having a PS4 and TLoU on my account/record? Who knows. Might get convoluted.

Many people, myself included feel it's a bit cheeky to ask full price.

But this is just current gamers and their bizarre self entitled attitude.

Did you demand a discount on a blu ray release of a DVD movie? At the start of BR releases they charged full price for HD versions even of newer movies which came out less than a year before on DVD and people lapped it up. The immaturity of some of today's gamers is staggering where they just assume devs/publishers owe them something.

Did you demand a discount on CDs because you already owned the casette?

Nobody's forcing you to buy it.

• Like 1

But this is just current gamers and their bizarre self entitled attitude.

Did you demand a discount on a blu ray release of a DVD movie? At the start of BR releases they charged full price for HD versions even of newer movies which came out less than a year before on DVD and people lapped it up. The immaturity of some of today's gamers is staggering where they just assume devs/publishers owe them something.

Did you demand a discount on CDs because you already owned the casette?

Nobody's forcing you to buy it.

You call it being "immature" and having "bizarre self entitlement". I call it "Not being bent over the table by companies peddling year old content at full price". Especially when Call of Duty and Battlefield were happy to offer a discount for brand new games.

As for the Blu-Ray comparison? HD releases of year old movies were rarely as expensive as brand new movie releases. But clearly we have a difference of opinion here, and continuing this back and forth isn't going to achieve anything.

Come on McKay, I think you are taking it too far. There is really no imperative to buy the PS4 version, and you can't really expect them to offer you a $10 upgrade path. You're a reasonable guy, you know just the DLC is market priced at more than $10, if that's what you have in mind. You're a Dark Souls player, you understand patience, so just wait until the PS4 version is discounted if paying full retail for it is something you are not willing to do.

Come on McKay, I think you are taking it too far. There is really no imperative to buy the PS4 version, and you can't really expect them to offer you a $10 upgrade path. You're a reasonable guy, you know just the DLC is market priced at more than $10, if that's what you have in mind. You're a Dark Souls player, you understand patience, so just wait until the PS4 version is discounted if paying full retail for it is something you are not willing to do.

I'm not asking for the whole thing for $10. Right now the PS3 version + Season pass are still $10 cheaper brand new from Amazon than the PS4 version will cost. It would just be nice for a discount for PS3 gamers who had it. If it was a $20 discount for previous owners I'd pick it up without hesitation.

I'm not asking for the whole thing for $10. Right now the PS3 version + Season pass are still $10 cheaper brand new from Amazon than the PS4 version will cost. It would just be nice for a discount for PS3 gamers who had it. If it was a $20 discount for previous owners I'd pick it up without hesitation.

That is reasonable, and it seems Sony is inclined to concur, they did mention something about a discount, right? As I said many times, $40 flat would be a great price for this. Totally understand the uncertainty, I mean Flower and Flow popped up on my PS4 without me asking for them for free even though I bought those years prior, so the same logic may be applied to any game. But this is innocent commerce, there's nothing nefarious going on here. It's a re-issue, which is expected in literature, music, and film. In those hobbies if you're against Ridley's 32nd anniversary Blade Runner special ultimate collection edition then you're immediately considered a non-believer. How dare you not want to pay again for an extra ten minutes of found deleted scenes?

But in gaming this type of thing always gets met with unrest and upheaval. We are a very bothersome clientele, sometimes I wonder if companies and studios really go out of business or simply decide they had enough of us :s

• 3 weeks later...
The Last of Us PS4's character models 'on par' with PS3 cutscene models
PS4 cinematics currently at 1080p/60fps, creative director confirms, could integrate 

The higher resolution character models featured in the PlayStation 4 remaster of The Last of Us will be "on par" with those featured in the PS3 version's cutscenes, creative director Neil Druckmann has told EDGE.

"We brought in all the hi-res models, and then it's on par with what you saw in the cutscenes," Druckmann said, speaking about the upcoming PS4 release with EDGE. "There's an improved lighting model. After that, we started looking across the board; enemies look a little blurry up close, so that was pretty easy. We ramped those up and saw a pretty significant difference.

"Our cinematics are now running at 1080p and 60fps, and that involved rendering them all from scratch," he continued. "It's interesting that now [instead of a technical bottleneck], the bottleneck is 'Can we fit all this on the disc?'"

Druckmann also suggested that Naughty Dog may look to take advantage of the features of the DualShock 4, adding that he wants to "give the option to switch which triggers you use to shoot and which ones you're using to listen and crouch.

"Then there are some ideas of how to use the touchpad that we'll play with and see if it's worth it," he added. "Mostly we don't want to mess with the experience too much, and we don't want to deviate from what made The Last of Us so great."

The Last of Us Remastered launches on PS4 this summer, with multiple retailers dating the game for release in June.

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_last_of_us_remastered/news/the_last_of_us_ps4s_character_models_on_par_with_ps3_cutscene_models.html

• Like 3

All good, i'm just happy it will be all the DLC on one disc, plus I think it's going to retail for $50? But not sure, anyway, already pre-ordered it.

where the cut scenes pre rendered or live ?

if they where live then I'm not really impressed. if it's pre rendered it's about what you'd expect. 

where the cut scenes pre rendered or live ?

if they where live then I'm not really impressed. if it's pre rendered it's about what you'd expect.

They were pre-rendered. I read somewhere that ND aren't particular fans of in-engine cutscenes.

I think we can safely assume a June release is not going to happen if they are still playing around with the touchpad input.

They were pre-rendered. I read somewhere that ND aren't particular fans of in-engine cutscenes.

I think we can safely assume a June release is not going to happen if they are still playing around with the touchpad input.

The whole game is done, there would be little testing or major resources being drained elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if basic touchpad input could be tested and patched in a day or two.

Honestly i don't even remember cutscenes, and they looked like in-engine to me. Anyway Last of Us was so handsome, not really getting it again for the visuals but for the extra content on one disc, as i didn't have a chance to experience Left Behind and never got into the MP first time around. This should be good when it finally arrives.

Honestly i don't even remember cutscenes, and they looked like in-engine to me. Anyway Last of Us was so handsome, not really getting it again for the visuals but for the extra content on one disc, as i didn't have a chance to experience Left Behind and never got into the MP first time around. This should be good when it finally arrives.

Probably pre-rendered using the game engine with a good enough bit-rate to look like they were being rendered in real time. Why not just render them in real time though? That takes less room on the disc. I don't remember there being too many things to render in real time.

• Like 1