Oculus Rollercoaster... on a rollercoaster

It?s an overcast morning at an undisclosed theme park in the UK, the temperature is just right?wearing a sweatshirt won?t be conspicuous. Good thing too, lest security find the device strapped around Edmond O?Driscoll?s chest.

After passing through security and making their way to the target, Edmond O?Driscoll and Jonathan Forder were ready to put their plan into motion. They?d take the device onto the roller coaster where weeks of planning would culminate.

As the carriage pulled out of the station, O?Driscoll activated the device concealed beneath his clothing with a single click from a mouse duct taped to his arm. He was about to go on the ride of his life.

Once safely out of range of the ride?s cameras, O?Driscoll pulled forth from his hood a black box and placed it over his eyes just before the drop. His partner-in-crime, Forder, readied a hidden camera to film the whole thing.

Equipped with a hidden laptop and Oculus Rift, O?Driscoll may be the first person to have ever gone on a ?Real VR? roller coaster with perfect motion feedback. The duo?s system displayed a virtual version of the exact same roller coaster that O?Driscoll and Forder were on. With some practice they managed to sync the virtual reality roller coaster to the real rollercoaster.

Full article (and how they did it).

Looks cool and could work great with a force feedback suit or chair (which are also very expensive devices just to add more realism to the immersive experience).

At least OR will get some support from the PC development community but I don't think it will ever be a commercial success.

Morpheus will be even worse off.

At least OR will get some support from the PC development community but I don't ever think it will ever be a commercial success.

Morpheus will be even worse off.

Yeah, I share the same thoughts for the Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus; Facebook acquiring Oculus Rift didn't help things out either. I have similar feelings the Virtuix Omni will wind up having a similar fate, but personally, I love the idea of it and really want to see it succeed; if I had the room for one in my house, I'd have backed their Kickstarter.

I don't think the OR system is meant to be a huge seller. that doesn't mean it won't be a commercial success. 

you're confusing sales success with commercial success. it's a niche project mean for a niche project of core gamers. 

It's also a problem that people think it'll be used for all kinds of games, as cool as people think it'll be for FPS games, a regular 3D screen would be as useful for that, VR helmets are more for the sim crowd, rcing sims, fighter pilot sims and so on. 

I don't think the OR system is meant to be a huge seller. that doesn't mean it won't be a commercial success. 

you're confusing sales success with commercial success. it's a niche project mean for a niche project of core gamers. 

It's also a problem that people think it'll be used for all kinds of games, as cool as people think it'll be for FPS games, a regular 3D screen would be as useful for that, VR helmets are more for the sim crowd, rcing sims, fighter pilot sims and so on.

To add ot your thoughts, The whole VR concept could be used in areas outside of gaming, which could lead to its success even if gaming is not its primary function.

this is both cool and sad all at the same time

Sad because they could experience the exact same thing in "real life" , yet they are wearing a headset.

Well it was the same coaster represented in game...but set in space :)  I think there is a point to it if you've already been on it without it.

I think the demos and DK releases of the Rift will work in its favour.  Supposedly it's a seen to be believed sort of thing so the more it gets demo'd the more of a success it should technically be once it is released to consumers.

To add ot your thoughts, The whole VR concept could be used in areas outside of gaming, which could lead to its success even if gaming is not its primary function.

Yeah, but no applications where regular people will be willing to shell out money for it and wear it. 

sure you can use it for showing houses, but people isn't going to buy it for that, or for Facebook VR world. it's not going to happen. Companies might buy them for some such applications like showing houses and cars that aren't built yet, but that's not going to make for huge sales. 

this is both cool and sad all at the same time

Sad because they could experience the exact same thing in "real life" , yet they are wearing a headset.

No, 10+ years ago they had those rollercoaster simulations around outside malls and such. big boxes that fit 5-10 people with a moving base and a cinema that showed scifi or fantasy rollercoaster environments.

in this way he gets to ride a rollercoaster that doesn't exist and really feel like he does.