• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:02

IDC suggests Microsoft will unbundle the Kinect from the Xbox One to improve sales http://www.winbeta.o...e-improve-sales

The folks over at International Data Corporation (IDC) are forecasting that Microsoft will unbundle the Kinect sensor from the Xbox One console in 2015, amidst competitive pressure from rival consoles Nintendo Wii U and Sony PlayStation 4. By doing this, Microsoft will see an Xbox One sales bump, especially in the United States and Canada.

IDC also projects that the PlayStation 4 will sell over 51 million units worldwide by 2016, while Microsoft is projected to lead in North America and Canada if the Kinect bundle was removed. Sony's PS4 has sold more than 7 million consoles as of April 2014, while Microsoft has indicated that they have only shipped more than 5 million Xbox One consoles, with roughly 3 million consoles sold to date.

#2 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:23

if they do that, I hope they allow the console to automatically sign in to Xbox Live without the Kinect. I don't mind it, but there are times where I'm not in front of the camera or the Kinect doesn't see me properly when the Xbox turns on

#3 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:33

2015 will be too late. They need to do it before this holiday season.

#4 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 May 2014 - 13:22

Not really.

#5 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 May 2014 - 13:33

Why? A gaming console is a long term investment for many. There's still people out there who will be upgrading off the 360 (or other platforms) yet within the next couple of years.

#6 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 May 2014 - 13:48

elO0d8V.gif

#7 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 11 May 2014 - 13:51

Or they leave it in and just cut the price, make it up on the software side and upcoming app store. 

#8 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 11 May 2014 - 13:56

elO0d8V.gif

^THIS. LOL @ IDC.

#9 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 11 May 2014 - 14:03

I agree with 2015 being too late to do it. They need to do something to improve sales this year, they wont have the initial rush of xbox fans they had last year to push it to high sales this holiday season. Keeping it at $500 not only will ensure the ps4 crushes it this holiday season(and throughout the year in general), but will possibly mean it may even fail to overtake the wii u's lifetime sales this year.

#10 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 11 May 2014 - 14:12

I am sure Microsoft needs to do "something" but this...

amidst competitive pressure from rival consoles Nintendo Wii U

shows how clueless IDC is.

#11 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 11 May 2014 - 14:14

What Microsoft should do is to release more exciting games that using Kinect in interesting way.
I was dissapointed that during initial XB1 launch no such kinect games are available.

The longer microsoft stalling the release of such kinect games, it wll be harder to removes the market views kinect inclusion as 'unjustifiable'.

#12 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 May 2014 - 14:50

What Microsoft should do is to release more exciting games that using Kinect in interesting way.
I was dissapointed that during initial XB1 launch no such kinect games are available.

The longer microsoft stalling the release of such kinect games, it wll be harder to removes the market views kinect inclusion as 'unjustifiable'.

The issue with Kinect is the same issue that Sony had (and has still) with PS Move - no interest from developers.  Microsoft (to their credit) HAS done a better job integrating Kinect into XB1 than was the case with XB360 - however, all too many console gamers are of the same mind with the current console generaiton as they were with the previous generation (and, as much as they would dislike the comparison, with all too many PC and tablet and slate users, and even smartphone users - a cubicle for everything, and every device in its cubicle).  Nobody wants to change how they use (or view) changed hardware.

#13 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 11 May 2014 - 15:05

I am sure Microsoft needs to do "something" but this...

shows how clueless IDC is.

You'd maybe have a point about it supposedly not being competition if the xbox one was actually beating the wii u by a large margin. But it's not. And it's not looking like it will any time soon.

#14 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 May 2014 - 15:17

Apart from past flawed predictions, they also say that Xbox One has only sold 3 million consoles, which is shorting the actual figure by a million at minimum, so its kinda hard to take them seriously.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 11 May 2014 - 15:43

Ah I see the usual suspects are just attacking the messenger as always.

ummm.. who's attacked who... no one's attacked anyone, you're seeing things.