Farmer mistook woman for Groundhog

Killing something before you know what it is,should be considered a negligent crime.

This case certainly should be prosecuted as such.

• Like 2

I don't care for the "gun debate" but, imo, if you shoot and kill an innocent person, you've lost all of your gun rights for life, in addition to being thoroughly investigated/prosecuted/sued.

Killing something before you know what it is,should be considered a negligent crime.

I am surprised no charges have yet been filed... This is the reason involuntary manslaughter is a crime...

As a gun user you have the responsibility to know your target and to know your backstop. He failed to properly identify his target and he should be charged for killing this lady, albeit with a recognition of its accidental nature.

• Like 1

no its not, virtually ALL pro gun control people agree that some people actually "NEED" guns and one of those groups of people include farmers. Sounds like you have an issue about it though.

I'm pro gun control and i own 5 riffles.

But anyway the problem is not and never will be gun control even if gun control helps. The problem is the behavior of people owning them. I don't know if he will be charged (would not be surprised at all if he is not) but here he would be as this type of conduct is not acceptable accident or not.

I don't know why but in some part of USA it almost looks like if you kill someone accidentally with a firearm then it sudenly becomes all fine cause you have a right to use firearms. I simply don't understand the logic. At the very least he should be charged with criminally negligent manslaughter.

• Like 1

I'm pro gun control and i own 5 riffles.

But anyway the problem is not and never will be gun control even if gun control helps. The problem is the behavior of people owning them. I don't know if he will be charged (would not be surprised at all if he is not) but here he would be as this type of conduct is not acceptable accident or not.

I don't know why but in some part of USA it almost looks like if you kill someone accidentally with a firearm then it sudenly becomes all fine cause you have a right to use firearms. I simply don't understand the logic. At the very least he should be charged with criminally negligent manslaughter.

I may have not been clear. I am against general Joe Public from having guns. it should NOT be your right to own one unless needed. He should be charged with negligent homicide and do serious prison time. Just like a drunk driver that kills someone. Just because he didn't mean to doesn't relieve him of responsibility if stupidity is the root cause of someone dying.

I may have not been clear. I am against general Joe Public from having guns. it should NOT be your right to own one unless needed. He should be charged with negligent homicide and do serious prison time. Just like a drunk driver that kills someone. Just because he didn't mean to doesn't relieve him of responsibility if stupidity is the root cause of someone dying.

You were perfectly clear. I was just agreeing with you ;) I'm the one who was not clear.

He's farming at 79?

I know peeps are living longer in our stress free luxurious west, but dude, hang up your boots already, there's thirty year old kids in macdonalds needing a proper career....

The woman who died had the pellet gun, her boss has something much more deadly.

you should read the story....

The girl was doing target practice, and got shot by accident. Not much to misunderstand in the article. You both, however, completely missed the tongue-in-check reference to gun control. No pellet gun = no death, so ban pellet guns. Can't believe I'm having to explain causality.to you...

• Like 1

I'm curious, why do farmers absolutely NEED guns? Maybe I'm missing something. Is farming really such a life threatening occupation there? Or does it make the crops grow faster or something? I guess we must be doing it wrong here then, equipping or farmers with only farming tools.

If you want to continue to have cheap meat/eggs it's best to let Farmers have guns. Over in the UK predators like Badgers and Foxes can wreak havoc among poultry, and in the USA in certain states, wild Boars can get into fields of crops and trample/eat vast swathes of crops during the night.

No pellet gun = no death, so ban pellet guns. Can't believe I'm having to explain causality.to you...

no grass = no death too then since he would (more likely) been able to identify his target, so ban grass

I can't believe some of you need an explanation.  They are sacrificing the groundhogs to the farming gods.  Dead vermin = more crop growth.  Duh...

He's farming at 79?

I know peeps are living longer in our stress free luxurious west, but dude, hang up your boots already, there's thirty year old kids in macdonalds needing a proper career....

Can they afford the 2-300k for the machinery, and maybe upwards of 400k+ for the land? No. They cant.

Can they afford the 2-300k for the machinery, and maybe upwards of 400k+ for the land? No. They cant.

Like most businesses, they can borrow the capital... Most farmers make heavy use of debt to ensure business continuity due to cyclical cycles as well as to enable them to make needed capital improvements (like upgrading expensive machinery).

Like most businesses, they can borrow the capital... Most farmers make heavy use of debt to ensure business continuity due to cyclical cycles as well as to enable them to make needed capital improvements (like upgrading expensive machinery).

I was turned down three times before I just decided to quit trying. You almost have to inherit the land anymore.

I was turned down three times before I just decided to quit trying. You almost have to inherit the land anymore.

Some people seem to think getting a huge business loan is as easy as walking into a bank... 

no grass = no death too then since he would (more likely) been able to identify his target, so ban grass

Exactly! This is all the grass' fault! Burn it! Burn it with fire!

She does not look like a groundhog.

Now the women at the bottom of the article under "you may like" on the other hand...

post-4927-0-43553000-1399916623.jpg

• Like 2

There are options depending on where you live. For instance, PA offers a Next Generation Farmer Loan Program that is aimed at offering new farmers access to the capital they need to get started. Possibly a similar program exists where you intended to establish your farm?

Some people seem to think getting a huge business loan is as easy as walking into a bank... 

It isn't as simple as walking in the bank and applying for the loan, but that doesn't mean access to capital doesn't exist. Often times, you need to find the right program (either via a lender or the government) and apply under its umbrella. The Small Business Administration offers SBA loans that aim to enable new businesses access to capital at stages banks traditionally don't like. There are similar organizations offering similar avenues to capital for new and small businesses around the country (such as the one I linked to above specifically targeting new farmers)...

So, no I wasn't implying that it was as simple as opening a checking account, but my point still stands...

RIP to the woman. Unfortunate accident. 

Silly topic for a gun control debate - pretty much universally accepted that farmers can own and use guns. 

Big groundhogs in Ohio. They all have long hair as well, apparently. 

Have you ever seen a woman from the buckeye state?  One could easily be mistaken for a groundhog; especially at 165' !

Go Blue!

If only they banned pellet guns, this tragedy would never have happened!

Obligatory /s tag.

One guy had a pellet gun, the other had the rifle.

Always be damned sure what you are aiming at.

Don't fire at just anything moving in the bushes.

^ yup. And not just for firearms. About 40 years ago I took an arrow in my upper arm because someone wasn't watching what he was doing. Fortunately not a broadhead, a small game point at long enough a range it barely penetrated the skin, but still.