[confirmed] Xbox Live to remove Gold requirement for Netflix, Hulu

rumour xbox live xbl xbox 360 xbox one microsoft netflix hulu

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 12 May 2014 - 23:51

We can report that multiple sources within Microsoft have been briefed on plans to make a long-awaited change to the Xbox Live Gold paywall for streaming media services.

According to our sources, Xbox 360 and Xbox One users will soon no longer need a paid subscription to Xbox Live Gold to access Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming media apps

Finally!  :woot:

There exists no argument for these apps to be behind a paywall.

#2 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 12 May 2014 - 23:53

Too little too late. No Netflix sub anyways.

#3 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 May 2014 - 23:54

Having media behind a paywall is really a bizarre idea when they are trying to pitch it as a living room media device. All of the competition in this space lack this strange requirement... Everything from the Roku up to the PS4.

#4 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 May 2014 - 23:55

Too little too late. No Netflix sub anyways.

How is it too late? There are plenty of people who would/will appreciate this if true - both current and future customers.

#5 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 13 May 2014 - 00:05

Their excuse is that you have to use Xbox Live to connect to Netflix, so you're paying for that, but when you can say that the PS4 has Netflix without PS+, there isn't a valid excuse. It's just Microsoft sitting, being lazy, still used to when they first launched Xbox Live. They sit down a lot, but every time they get up, they destroy all the competition smile.png

#6 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:20

Having media behind a paywall is really a bizarre idea when they are trying to pitch it as a living room media device. All of the competition in this space lack this strange requirement... Everything from the Roku up to the PS4.

Don't forget smart TVs with Netflix and Hulu clients.

#7 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:22

Shouldnt have been required in the first place.  Never understood why this did this or why anyone would pay the sub price in order to watch Netflx.

#8 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:14

I have been saying they would move in this direction for a while. I wouldn't be shocked to see them try to offer something more with Gold. Maybe that is just the Games for Gold service on the X1, or maybe its something additional that we have not seen before. Either way, this would just be start of the changes they make.

This should be a cause to be happy, and yet its just met with the opposite, so whatever.

My prediction is that this move will be good and yet net nothing as far as adoption by itself.

Still, its a first step that they need to take to reach the point of an Xbox app store that is tied to the Windows Store and allows for universal apps to be created.

media apps that exist elsewhere and have their own subscriptions don't need to be behind a paywall, totally agree.

If MS wanted to offer actual media content, that would make more sense.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:56

Hallelujah (if true)

#10 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:01

About time.

#11 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:54

Great news for those out there that have silver subscriptions...are there any? lol

I guess I never noticed...as I have always had Xbox Live Gold for the past 11 years.

#12 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 13 May 2014 - 13:02

Great news for those out there that have silver subscriptions...are there any? lol

I guess I never noticed...as I have always had Xbox Live Gold for the past 11 years.

Last year XBL accounts were at 46m (thats both silver and gold), so there's multiple audiences to cater for.

#13 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

Posted 13 May 2014 - 13:06

Last year XBL accounts were at 46m (thats both silver and gold), so there's multiple audiences to cater for.

I know Audio. I was being sarcastic. I would be interested to know how many silver accounts there are. That said, I bet most of the people on these gaming forums have Xbox Live Gold, and most if not none would be affected by this change. I would imagine it will affect the casual gamers that have no online gaming desire.

#14 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 13 May 2014 - 13:12

I don't have Gold for my Xbox, no reason for it.

#15 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

Posted 13 May 2014 - 13:16

I don't have Gold for my Xbox, no reason for it.

Makes sense if you don't play online. Great news for you if you use those subscription services.