Mom Pays For Entire School's Outstanding Balance After Son Denied Lunch

leave to docm to make this a political issue. tell me, what does mrs obama have to do with a school in michigan taking a kid's lunch away from him? wait a sec, i'll answer that for ya, docm. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

well, actually, the current administration changed the rules a lot on how schools get reimbursed for cheap lunches if they follow their food guidelines... so it actually does potentially have something to do with it

Yes, let's shame a kid publicly because of an outstanding small balance, and while we are at it, lets make him the butt of jokes for his classmates. Thank you Federal Government.

It's interesting that the people in charge of the lunch programs would rather starve a child, considering how studies have shown that students how have a proper nutrition tend to not only do better in school but also be more alert. Let's be honest, with the new common core crap they are teaching in American schools these days, those students I feel not only need their lunches but second helpings as well.

smh America.

I brought lunch from home every school day from kindergarden to grade 13.  No excuses in a parent not having time to prepare a lunch; it takes under 3 minutes to make yourself a sandwich and grab an apple, and I didn't expect my parents to do it for me even as a kid.

Fact is, it's also cheaper than any lunch you can buy at school.  I've had absolutely zero sympathy back in highschool when my schoolmates were complaining about cafeteria costs.

I brought lunch from home every school day from kindergarden to grade 13.  No excuses in a parent not having time to prepare a lunch; it takes under 3 minutes to make yourself a sandwich and grab an apple, and I didn't expect my parents to do it for me even as a kid.

Fact is, it's also cheaper than any lunch you can buy at school.  I've had absolutely zero sympathy back in highschool when my schoolmates were complaining about cafeteria costs.

There are actually some schools banning you from bringing in your own lunch because they think they have to make sure everyone meets this new school lunch standard they bar you from doing it.... I know two schools around me that did... you HAVE to buy lunch... they threw up a hissy fit saying "how can we guarantee that a kid eats healthy if a parent packs it?".... which is a bunch of BS because you know they just want a sales monopoly on a captive audience

one of those schools actually got in trouble for confiscating a kids "junk food" in their lunch because it "wasn't a fit" for their "healthy lunch" program..... ugh

kinda brings back bad memories from elementary school... our one lunch lady FORCED you to eat in "the proper order"..... aka you MUST eat your sandwich first, then your side, then your fruit / veg if you had one then FINALLY you could if you 100% ate all of that, eat any "snack" like food you had...

now you get me, who likes to combine food... I got yelled at many times for combining snack with veg... or putting the vegetables on the sandwich... etc.... they literally yelled at you for not eating it right..... ugh

when I left school years ago they where pushing for all kids to eat breakfast in school also..... there's no way I could eat sausage and pancakes or French toast every single freaking day at school (yes, that was the breakfast every single day offered)

Yeah back when I was at school (in the UK) if your family was poor then you were given free school lunches. I believe that programme has recently been extended to cover all kids under a certain age to encourage healthier eating, poor family or not.

America will monetize anything it seems.

Never got free food in Australian schools (poor or not). Australian government covers school fees for low income earners but it was usually your mum who made you lunch or you bought it at the canteen which was just junk food. (Pretty much everyone would bring in food from home)

In case you haven't noticed, schools don't really seem to actually be about education anymore in the US  :(  Universities have been more about money than investing in the future for years, and now that attitude is trickling down to lower and lower ages. It's sad. I really hope there's a swing back to a more reasonable direction soon.

In the US you can really tell by the caliber of the leaders we have. And I am talking on both sides of the fence. 

There are actually some schools banning you from bringing in your own lunch because they think they have to make sure everyone meets this new school lunch standard they bar you from doing it

I forgot about that.  It's just as well that I'm not a parent.  What you've described (the long part I didn't quote) is nothing short of a bunch of pathetic losers on a power trip, who really shouldn't be in charge of jack ####.  It's no wonder kids nowadays are downright hopeless the instant you put them in a situation where they have to think for themselves.

It truly scares me that one day, *they* are going to be the ones in charge.  But then again, I won't be around to witness the disaster that is clearly already underway.

I think they should setup a text message system that if a child's balance goes to $5 they should send a Text to the parent. Then if the parent doesn't add to the balance, then let the kid go hungry and put it on the parent.

I think they should setup a text message system that if a child's balance goes to $5 they should send a Text to the parent. Then if the parent doesn't add to the balance, then let the kid go hungry and put it on the parent.

it's funny this school wont let a kid have a lunch when their account is under by $5, but the district I live in my cousins daughter will buy all these extra's (they let you buy up your lunch for stuff like cookies, ice cream, etc) and her mom gets monthly calls saying her daughter's account is in debt by $100 or more. Our district lets you go majorly in debt, yet this other district throws a hissy fit when they are close to zero?! I think the base lunch should have to be provided money or not, but extras that let you go way over should be barred.

I forgot about that.  It's just as well that I'm not a parent.  What you've described (the long part I didn't quote) is nothing short of a bunch of pathetic losers on a power trip, who really shouldn't be in charge of jack ####.  It's no wonder kids nowadays are downright hopeless the instant you put them in a situation where they have to think for themselves.

It truly scares me that one day, *they* are going to be the ones in charge.  But then again, I won't be around to witness the disaster that is clearly already underway.

Heck if a school told my kids they couldn't bring their lunch, you know what I'd do? I'd show up to school with the worst fast food lunch possible give it to the kids and tell the school to deal with it or I'm pulling my kid to a private school and you lose your state funding for that one extra student... around here, losing a kids enrollment makes districts jump anymore... they keep losing money, and every kid lost is a major pain for the, the district I'm in spends about $12k a year per kid... the state average per year is $7k, all of that $12k plus more is made up by state enrollment funding and local property taxes... all of which gets pulled when you take your kid private or cyber schooled...