Photo

Should Your Driverless Car Kill You to Save Two Other People?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,898 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:41

Before deciding what a robot should do in that circumstance, maybe we should agree on what a human should do. This is a tricky philosophical question that has not found any sort of consensus today.

Well it is a precedent, as a computer, no matter how well programmed is a difference engine, possible chance of 3 dying, lesser of 2 evils, kill 1 to save 2 etc...

#17 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,901 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:45

Before deciding what a robot should do in that circumstance, maybe we should agree on what a human should do. This is a tricky philosophical question that has not found any sort of consensus today.

A consensus will never be found. People can't even agree on which way a toilet paper roll should be placed on the dispenser. I have little hope in this resolving.

What should I do? Depends on how fast I'm going and the statistical chance that the impact will have more casualties than if I veered off a cliff.

What would I do? Swerve into traffic.

What should the Computer do? Calculate the statistical probabilities of fatalities in both situations and chose the one with the highest survival rate.

What will it do? Blue Screen.

Edit: I would just like to add some perspective so people can see this from a logical point of view.

You are not your Cars friend. To the Car you are just another Human, just like the Humans in the other Cars. A problem I can see People having is that there should be some sentimental weight that the Car places on your life but sadly that destroys the entire system.

Put yourself in the shoes of the Cars in the opposing lanes (A). What would you want the Car (B) to do? Drive off a cliff or crash into you? Well, If the Car (A) your piloting is also autonomous it may choose the option of Car (B) going off the cliff as this saves your life. Now if both Cars put value on your (The driver of said vehicles) life, the whole thing reverts back to simple logic of choosing the option with the least probable casualties.

This question really should be a two-part question. Question 2 should be, "If a Car has a critical failure and as such has an option to either swerve into your trajectory to potentially save that passengers life on the Risk of killing you and another or driving off a Cliff killing that passenger with probable certainty; what option should that Car choose?"

If I were the programmer, I'd choose the option with the highest probability of survival, it's the logical, reasonable and just choice.

#18 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• 1,161 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:45

I think the cars should query the NSA, see who the people who are most likely to be terrorists, and so the car can try to kill those people.

#19 jkenn99

jkenn99

Neowinian

• 81 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:48

People should be able to configure their car with how highly it should prioritize their own life (e.g. "my life is worth the life of x other people"). Ethical decisions should be left to people, and the program must just obey.

#20 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,898 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:52

People should be able to configure their car with how highly it should prioritize their own life (e.g. "my life is worth the life of x other people"). Ethical decisions should be left to people, and the program must just obey.

yes, but then the car sees no reason why children or vulnerable people should not be run over to protect the driver.....

I get what you're saying but a computer cannot make that call

Safest thing to do would be to program the computer to protect all users (drivers, cyclists etc) and pedestrians alike, but then it'll decide the safest thing for it to do would be to drive at a speed so slow, it's impossible to kill anything

#21 jkenn99

jkenn99

Neowinian

• 81 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:00

yes, but then the car sees no reason why children or vulnerable people should not be run over to protect the driver.....

I get what you're saying but a computer cannot make that call

Safest thing to do would be to program the computer to protect all users (drivers, cyclists etc) and pedestrians alike, but then it'll decide the safest thing for it to do would be to drive at a speed so slow, it's impossible to kill anything

You're right, someone could consider their life to be worth a dozen 80-year-olds, but not even a single child.

#22 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,907 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:07

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

And yes if I was in that position (the one), I would pick the others over myself.

It is nice to think so but one can never really say for sure until they are in that situation. Self preservation is very a powerful instinct.

#23 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,901 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:13

then it'll decide the safest thing for it to do would be to drive at a speed so slow, it's impossible to kill anything

That reminds me of the mythical Quake match. A person set up a Game of quake with all A.I. bots and after 4 years they all decided the best winning strategy was not to play at all. Link

#24 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,729 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:23

Ban cars.   Build efficient, economical, world wide transportation systems.

#25 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:23

If you're dumb enough to own a driver-less car, then I say let natural selection take its course.  There are too many variables at play for me to ever trust a computer to have control over my car.  If it comes down to buying a car that has that or walking, I'll just ride my 4 wheeler everywhere.

#26 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,942 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:33

It is nice to think so but one can never really say for sure until they are in that situation. Self preservation is very a powerful instinct.

But the robot is making the choice, not myself?

#27 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,898 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:34

But the robot is making the choice, not myself?

one could assume, (like in an aircraft cockpit) the driver can override the computer simply by taking the controls

#28 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,066 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:38

I'd rather just drive myself.

#29 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 9,884 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:45

one could assume, (like in an aircraft cockpit) the driver can override the computer simply by taking the controls

Yup.

You can turn auto-drive on/off. Like you all have seen some movies such as Demolition Man.

I wouldn't buy a car if it does not have on/off switch for auto-drive.

I like to drive manually.

#30 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,898 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:46

Yup.

You can turn auto-drive on/off. Like you all have seen some movies such as Demolition Man.

I wouldn't buy a car if it does not have on/off switch for auto-drive.

I like to drive manually.

Really? I thought the most popular cars in USA were all automatics :p