• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 macstar

macstar

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:50

i found this very detailed post installation tuning guide for kubuntu 14.04. it will probably work in most other linux distributions as well.

Kubuntu 14.04 Post Installation Tuning
As of: 2014-04-25

These are my notes and observations taken from a full, hard-disk installation of Kubuntu 14.04-LTS.

First, apply recent updates:
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
And:
$ sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

Install restricted packages “kubuntu-restricted-addons” and “kubuntu-restricted-extras”.
kubuntu-restricted-addons includes GStreamer, GStreamer plugins and libdvdread4 (library for reading DVD’s) kubuntu-restricted-extras includes the Adobe Flash plugin, ffmpeg, lame (MP3 encoding library), and Microsoft TrueType fonts.

$ sudo apt-get -y install kubuntu-restricted-addons kubuntu-restricted-extras

Enable DVD playback.
$ sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Install Chromium. Firefox comes installed as the default browser, however I like to keep Chromium handy.
$ sudo apt-get -y install chromium-browser

Install some multi-media apps VLC, WinFF, and Devede and Handbrake:
$ sudo apt-get -y install vlc vlc-plugin* winff devede handbrake

[Changed from 12.04]
Install K9Copy.
Sadly K9Copy is no longer in the repos, so this app has to be installed manually.

https://www.kubuntuf...493-k9copy-fans

Install utilities for file sharing.
My workstation sometimes serves files over the LAN so additional Samba/CIFS utilities are helpful
$ sudo apt-get install samba cifs-utils fusesmb

Install other favorite utilities
$ sudo apt-get install p7zip hplip-gui pyrenamer gimp gcolor2 agave filezilla putty zim

[Changed from 12.04]
Install Kompozer – Basic WSIWIG for html editing
I had Kompozer on my 12.04 system, however it’s been dropped from the repos, however you can install it using the 12.04 packages:
https://help.ubuntu....InstallKompozer

Use packages from 12.04 Precise. First, install dependencies:

sudo apt-get install libatk1.0-0 libc6 libcairo2 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libglib2.0-0 libgtk2.0-0 libidl0 libnspr4 libnss3 libpango1.0-0 libpng12-0 libstdc++6 libx11-6 libxft2 libxinerama1 libxrender1 libxt6 zlib1g

for 64bit systems:
wget https://launchpad.ne...ubuntu2_all.deb
wget https://launchpad.ne...untu2_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i kompozer-data_0.8~b3.dfsg.1-0.1ubuntu2_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i kompozer_0.8~b3.dfsg.1-0.1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
——————————————-

Install utilities needed for compiling apps and plasmoids.
$ sudo apt-get install cmake build-essential debhelper fakeroot checkinstall kdelibs5-dev kdebase-workspace-dev
Install Skype
Skype can be installed by including the “partner” repo.
$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Uncomment “deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu trusty partner”

Save and quit, then:
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install skype
Tweaking Dolphin: Generate thumbnail icons for avi/mpeg files.
By default Dolphin does not generate icons for avi/mpeg files in Dolphin. Solve this by installing ffmpegthumbs

$ sudo apt-get install ffmpegthumbs

To adjust Desktop Folder so that thumbnail images are generated for avi/mpeg files:
Unlock widgets
Edit Folder View Settings | Display
Check “Previews”
Go to: “More Preview Options…”
Scroll down to the bottom –> Check “Video Files (ffmpegthumbs)”

[Changed from 12.04]
Install Bittorrent Sync (Desktop GUI version)
http://forum.bittorr...ittorrent-sync/

The desktop version of Bittorrent Sync (btsync-gui) now comes with a GUI similar to the Windows and Mac versions. This replaces the “btsyncindicator” app. Note that the web interface is disabled by default.

$ sudo apt-key adv –keyserver keys.gnupg.net –recv-keys 6BF18B15
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxpoldo/btsync
$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install btsyn-gui

Log out (and then in), the Btsync App indicator will show up the the System Tray.

Disable mouse-scroll switching between Virtual Desktops
By default, the mouse wheel cycles/switches through the Desktops. I find this irritating so I disable it.
To deactivate this behaviour:
With the cursor on the Desktop, right-click, select Desktop Settings
Mouse Actions
Remove scroll button behaviour (middle selection).
Install VirtualBox
$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox virtualbox-guest-additions-iso vde2

to install java 8 instead of 7 use this guide:

http://www.webupd8.o...tu-via-ppa.html

source:http://www.simplepre...llation-tuning/

also have a look at preload. its an old article already, but the way the tool works, sounds like a logical speed improvement for me.

Preload is considered to be read-ahead daemon application as it analyzes the applications which user runs, and on the basis of this analysis it predicts which applications user can run next time and launches these applications in RAM. Its daemon keeps running in background all the time and saves the required information about the applications you are running so that it may load them quickly next time.

Open the terminal and run the following command to install preload: sudo apt-get install preload

Now to start preload run the following command in terminal:
sudo /etc/init.d/preload start

It will be installed instantly. Now it will run in the background and will keep track of the applciations you run.  To stop it simple run following command in terminal.
sudo /etc/init.d/preload stop

The configuration file for Preload is kept in /etc/preload.conf and the default values should be fine for most people. But if you want to tweak the operation of Preload, an explanation of the options is available in the configuration file.

android users, install kde-connect, its an awesome tool, shows you nearly everything what you get on your mobile phone.

KDE desktop has long been favored by many Linux geeks because it has every element to fulfill their appetite: customizable every bit of it, aesthetically pleasing desktop effects, openness to adopting new technologies such as semantic desktop, etc. Beyond all these bells and whistles, the KDE desktop community constantly tries to advance the state of the art of the desktop, experimenting with wild new ideas.

One such effort is so-called KDE Connect, which is a brainchild of Albert Vaca, as part of his Google Summer of Code 2013. The objective of KDE Connect is to seamlessly connect all sorts of devices to KDE desktop, so they can talk to each other. KDE Connect currently supports Android device and WiFi network based sharing, but support for diverse device profiles and network backends are planned for the future.

In this tutorial, I will demonstrate how to integrate Android into KDE Linux desktop by using KDE Connect. The (growing) feature set of KDE Connect is as follows.

• Show Android battery status on KDE.
  • Share clipboard between Android and KDE.
  • Remote control music/video playback on KDE from Android.
  • Show Android notification in KDE, and keep them in sync.
  • Pause music/video playback during a phone call.
  • Send and receive simple ping messages between Android and KDE.
  • Exchange files, URLs or plain text between Android and KDE.
  • Show call and SMS notifications on KDE.

KDE Connect has two components: KDE desktop component (kde-connect) and device components (e.g., Android app). Currently, for KDE Connect to work, the desktop computer and an Android device need to be on the same local network (via WiFi). Android app relies on UDP broadcast to advertise its presence to the desktop over the local network. Once paired, Android app communicates with the desktop via a public-key based encrypted channel.

In the following, I will go over how to install and set up KDE Connect on both KDE desktop and Android device.

Install kde-connect on KDE Desktop

Kubuntu or Debian KDE

On Kubuntu, kde-connect is included in the base repositories starting from 13.10. So simply using apt-get will do the installation on Kubuntu 13.10 or higher.

$ sudo apt-get install kdeconnect-kde qt5-default qdbus-qt5

To install kde-connect on Kubuntu 13.04 or earlier, you can build it from the source as follows. You can use the same building procedure on Debian KDE.

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake kdebase-workspace-dev libqjson-dev git libqca2-dev
$ git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kdeconnect-kde
$ cd kdeconnect-kde
$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ./
$ make
$ sudo make install

Fedora KDE Spin

Installation instruction for Fedora KDE edition is as follows.

$ sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
$ sudo yum install gcc-c++ kdelibs-devel cmake qjson-devel qca2-devel git
$ git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kdeconnect-kde
$ cd kdeconnect-kde
$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ./
$ make
$ sudo make install
Configure kde-connect on KDE Desktop

The first step after installing kde-connect is to run the following command as a non-root user, which will activate kde-connect on the user's KDE desktop.

$ qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule kdeconnect

If successful, the above command should return "true".

Now go ahead and rebuild system configuration cache as follows.

$ kbuildsycoca4 -noincremental

At this point, you should find KDE Connect menu under "Systems Settings" (which will remain empty until you pair any Android device).

source:http://xmodulo.com/2...ux-desktop.html

#2 OP macstar

macstar

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:01

usually, the kernel included in the latest (k)ubuntu is not really up2date.

there is an easy way to install the latest kernel via some terminal commands:

32bit OS

wget kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15.3-utopic/linux-headers-3.15.3-031503_3.15.3-031503.201407010040_all.deb

wget kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15.3-utopic/linux-headers-3.15.3-031503-generic_3.15.3-031503.201407010040_i386.deb

wget kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15.3-utopic/linux-image-3.15.3-031503-generic_3.15.3-031503.201407010040_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.15.3-*.deb linux-image-3.15.3-*.deb

sudo reboot

64bit OS

wget kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15.3-utopic/linux-headers-3.15.3-031503_3.15.3-031503.201407010040_all.deb

wget kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15.3-utopic/linux-headers-3.15.3-031503-generic_3.15.3-031503.201407010040_amd64.deb

wget kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.15.3-utopic/linux-image-3.15.3-031503-generic_3.15.3-031503.201407010040_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-3.15.3-*.deb linux-image-3.15.3-*.deb

sudo reboot

i have done this today without any problems but if you run into problems there is always the option to boot the older kernel via grub. you can then use ubuntu tweak to remove the newer kernel.

kernels for other ubuntu version are here (just adapt the source in the commands above)

--> http://kernel.ubuntu...l-ppa/mainline/

changelog to 3.15.3 is here

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!