Anyone vape? Just started. Was so easy to quit smoking!

Going on 2 weeks now without a cigarette. Have absolutely no desire for one either.

If you're a smoker you just have to give vaping a go. You wont be sorry. You can get a decent starter kit for under $20.

I was blowing $250 a month on stinky ashes and killing myself.

Totally with you!  I started, not out of any desire to quit, but rather that it just tasted nicer.  I have followed the media nonsense and all their arguments are based on OLDER vape tech.

As I say, I never "quit" smoking, but have a preference for vaping.  As such, every now and then I buy a packet of cigs - eg: When I haven't charged, or have lost my vape.

Going on 2 weeks now without a cigarette. Have absolutely no desire for one either.

If you're a smoker you just have to give vaping a go. You wont be sorry. You can get a decent starter kit for under $20.

I was blowing $250 a month on stinky ashes and killing myself.

And now you're just killing yourself with who knows what is in them and I don't see how changing from 1 habit to another of this type is really that beneficial, other than the smell?

My 2 older brothers and 1 sister are all hooked on these things and all 3 of them have their vaporizers in their mouth so much they can't talk without having to pull it out first, then right back in the face it goes! Probably getting 100 times the nicotine they used to when smoking cigs! My oldest brother, who was the first one to get one of these, sucks on his so often, you can see the nicotine stain on his lip!

None of them have gotten a starter kit for any where near $20! Where did you find a good one at for that price?

BTW,

All 3 of them cheat and smoke when ever not around their better halves!! :)

:rolleyes: I smoked full strength cigarettes and ordered high nicotine at first and it was way too strong. I'm on the lows now and plan on going to zero nicotine.

$19.95

EDIT: BTW, nicotine is not harmful. It's kinda like coffee. Do you hate Starbucks too?

• Like 2

You're basically just improving your nicotine delivery system, therefore increasing your tolerance and strengthening the addiction.

Wait, zero nicotine? You just like the taste?

:rolleyes: I smoked full strength cigarettes and ordered high nicotine at first and it was way too strong. I'm on the lows now and plan on going to zero nicotine.

$19.95

I do wish you the best of luck in your attempt to quit as anyone knows not smoking is definitely beneficial! :)

But if you're going to do it, at least this way the smoke isn't as harmful to others--plus it doesn't smell or leave yellow gunky stains.

Ideally, one would choose the low nicotine one, then the flavoured-only, and try to wean themselves off the addiction altogether. But if someone is going to keep up the nicotine, I think this is a MUCH better way to do it. Nicotine alone isn't nearly as harmful as nicotine + all the other crap in cigarettes.

• Like 3

You're basically just improving your nicotine delivery system, therefore increasing your tolerance and strengthening the addiction.

Yep,

That's the goal! Get hooked on those expensive juices! Might as well just buy a bag of sugar free candy and suck on a candy when ever you need to smoke! Would be cheaper!

Yep,

That's the goal! Get hooked on those expensive juices! Might as well just buy a bag of sugar free candy and suck on a candy when ever you need to smoke! Would be cheaper!

They are not expensive. Like $2 for 10ml.

EDIT: The price will definitely go up now that the FDA has stepped in. It's a good thing though. We need regulation to make sure there's nothing bad mixed in with the PG or VG.

how come if the OP is planning to the exact inverse of what you said??

Just want to add that even though it's still in its infancy, I would bet a good chunk of money that if every smoker in the world stopped and turned to vaping, the planets health care costs worldwide would plummet by 20% at least. Think what that could do!

If you have a friend or loved one that smokes, the best thing you can do it tell him to try vaping. Even IF they find some harmful effects, it cant be as bad as cigarettes. It's just flavoring and 2 substances approved by the FDA.

Been vaping for 3 or 4 years now after smoking for ~25 or so.  Feel a lot better and save a ton of coin in the process. Tastes better too.. once you get used to it. Took a while to get to the point where I could stay off of cigs, now they make me ill smelling them.  One of these days need to work my way down to 0mg and quit for good.

• Like 3

Both my parents smoked Salems non-stop so one day my older brother got me and my younger brother to go out back and try it. I was 11 and have smoked ever since! It's wasn't to be cool or anything like that. I would hide in the backyard smoking cigarettes I stole from mom and dad....definitely not trying to be cool to myself.

I have been vaping for 10 months. No cigarettes or snuff/chewing tobacco since.

BTW, nicotine is not harmful. It's kinda like coffee. Do you hate Starbucks too?

You do realise that coffee is harmful, right? I used to drink coffee frequently and ended up with chest palpitations, which resulted in me going to hospital. Nowadays I'm strictly decaf. Lots of people have died from caffeine.

And I'm out, the absolute nonsense posted here once again proves that people on Neowin would rather flap their fingers self-importantly across the keyboard than actually be informed of anything.  Shame, hoped we could actually discuss vaping without some know-it-all (who knows nothing) talking crap all over it.

• Like 5

You do realise that coffee is harmful, right? I used to drink coffee frequently and ended up with chest palpitations, which resulted in me going to hospital. Nowadays I'm strictly decaf. Lots of people have died from caffeine.

Anything in excessive quantities is harmful, and if you are sensitive to it, "excessive" is easy to reach. Numerous studies show that in moderation, caffeine can be very healthy and beneficial. I don't know if nicotine has benefits (haven't bothered looking into it since I've never smoked), but if so, the comparison holds up well--both can be part of a healthy lifestyle in small amounts, whereas too much is detrimental, and when it's mixed with other things it can have more harmful effects (like the other ingredients in cigarettes, or the cream/sugar some people like to add to coffee).

• Like 2

$19.95

EDIT: BTW, nicotine is not harmful. It's kinda like coffee. Do you hate Starbucks too?

Congrats OP!

I was a bit different, I started smoking at evenings after work due to overtime and crunching over a year. Ended up getting cravings which were effecting work and study so I picked one up myself and have 0.6mg juice. Does the trick for me, never touched an analogue again. 

There's actually arguments and studies which indicate nicotine can have a positive effect on concentration and attention, but obviously the delivery method of a analogue cig is a killer. With e-cigs, you can look up many studies on-line which all have outlined has no/little effects to the health.

Anything in excessive quantities is harmful, and if you are sensitive to it, "excessive" is easy to reach. Numerous studies show that in moderation, caffeine can be very healthy and beneficial. I don't know if nicotine has benefits (haven't bothered looking into it since I've never smoked), but if so, the comparison holds up well--both can be part of a healthy lifestyle in small amounts, whereas too much is detrimental, and when it's mixed with other things it can have more harmful effects (like the other ingredients in cigarettes, or the cream/sugar some people like to add to coffee).

I think the difference here is that caffeine has beneficial effects (i.e. a stimulant, which can help people stay awake) and occurs naturally in food and drink products, whereas tobacco is an addictive substance that is extremely harmful to human health and minimal benefits. As for vaping, it is simply a side-step away from tobacco - it's just an addiction for the sake of addiction. The main issue with caffeine is the way it is being added to unrelated products, like energy drinks and fizzy drinks - in general it is the lack of regulation and the lack of education as to its harms that is the problem.

I think the difference here is that caffeine has beneficial effects (i.e. a stimulant, which can help people stay awake) and occurs naturally in food and drink products, whereas tobacco is an addictive substance that is extremely harmful to human health and minimal benefits. As for vaping, it is simply a side-step away from tobacco - it's just an addiction for the sake of addiction. The main issue with caffeine is the way it is being added to unrelated products, like energy drinks and fizzy drinks - in general it is the lack of regulation and the lack of education as to its harms that is the problem.

Coffee and tea (I know other things have caffeine, but these are the biggest carriers and most commonly used) both have also been shown to have antioxidant and anticancer properties, and even possibly slow or prevent age-related issues like dementia and Alzheimers. I have been reading about nicotine since first engaging in this topic, and can say that I've found what I've always sort of suspected--nicotine and caffeine are actually quite similar in the stimulant effect and overall lack of being directly harmful. Nicotine has an appetite-suppressant quality as well, whereas caffeine does not. Nicotine, however, is much more highly addictive. It stimulates the "reward centre" of the brain by producing dopamine (so also having a calming effect in addition to stimulant), whereas caffeine does not.

Quoting an article I found:

Both caffeine and nicotine have very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. For nicotine, the withdrawal can involve impulsiveness and inability to control one's temper and emotions, blurred vision, headache, crawling sensations, extreme appetite, depression, tiredness and, of course, severe craving. Suddenly stopping using large amounts of caffeine can cause tiredness and give you very severe headaches that last for days, but because caffeine does not stimulate the brain's reward circuity and effect a release of dopamine, it does not cause severe cravings like nicotine does and it makes it much easier to taper it gently and avoid withdrawal altogether.

...so, the main difference seems to be in the nature of the addiction, and the other harmful effects of the drug's preferred delivery system.

Also, wow, we totally got this a bit off the original topic. This is a good conversation and I believe educational, but let's not forget the original intention was to discuss vaping vs traditional smoking! ;) those of you who also have experience with both, feel free to weigh in. (My smoking experience is limited to a few cigars with my Scotch.)

• Like 1

Ive been thinking of trying them out. Ive never smoked so Id get the nicotine free variety. Any issues with exhaling water vapor around PCs and other electronics?

Ive been thinking of trying them out. Ive never smoked so Id get the nicotine free variety. Any issues with exhaling water vapor around PCs and other electronics?

Never noticed any issues with it after a few years of usage by a bunch of hardware, it dissipates very quickly... but if you don't smoke, I really wouldn't consider it. Even nicotine free, I'm sure it's 1000% safer than tobacco but who knows, could be other side effects to be discovered (or questionable ingredients in the cheaper liquids), and no temptation to try the real things later either.  Half of my addiction is not just the nicotine but just the usage in general (I like it), makes it that much harder to 100% quit across the board.. missing that after dinner hit is the worst.

Some info from the UK's NHS on vaping

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/06june/pages/e-cigarettes-and-vaping.aspx

Just remember at one point in time cigarettes were linked to a healthy lifestyle and you were encouraged to smoke.  We have come a long way.  Seems a shame that people are taking leaps of faith knowing very little of any long term side effects with vaping.