My Internet carrier just launched a new product: 10 Gb / 10 Gb

So... in regards to that topic. How in Gods name is this speed gonna do any good? How many simultaneous downloads do I need to start to even break the 1 GB limit. I guess (know) this is more of a gimmick than anything else. I guess they are budgeting 0 sales the next year or two.

Price is 14,900 NOK - equivalent to 1.800 EUR per month. That is almost half my salary after taxes - crazy !

Source at the company:

? Ten gigabit is a special delivery project. If you want to pay, we will bring our own equipment to your house. You'll have to sit on a small rack, and you'll have to acquire a cooling system yourself - we'll have to purchase equipment costing about the same as the subscription.

What do you imagine you could do with that kind of capacity? I can't imagine anything past what I can archive with my current 100 / 100.

EDIT: Ooops... wrong forum. sorry! Can someone please move this ;-)

If you had 100+ kids and they all had a PC, I guess it could help.

But I would be more concerned about the health of your gf / wife after having that many babies.

• Like 3

Nice to have choice I guess?

That being said I didn't pay close enough attention to your title and thought I was going to be reading a post on a ridiculously small 10GB plan, you could have used the extra 2 characters for Gbit

• 1 month later...

Supposedly TMZ is using this service for its celebrity gossip feeds. But seriously, not sure who would need this speed. Maybe equity trading firms. Trade the News comes to mind. There exists or existed a 40GB connection in Sweden, not sure how accurate that is though.

That is insane though I'd LOVE to have that at my home. Gonna get me 1G up/down sooon. Can't wait to be honest.

This could be meant for corporate users such as colleges and universities.

Precisely what I was thinking, this is an offer more for small businesses than you're average home user. Just look at the price, it'll cost 2,100 CHF more to get this instead of my current 250Mbit connection (currently for around 80CHF.)

Just think of the torrent speeds. 10Gb links are what most ISPs use aggregated in their core networks. They're usually the highest single link-speed seen Tier 2/3 networks other than the incoming 100Gb links. That's ridiculous. 

Nice to have choice I guess?

That being said I didn't pay close enough attention to your title and thought I was going to be reading a post on a ridiculously small 10GB plan, you could have used the extra 2 characters for Gbit

You are not alone, sigh. :pinch:

So, who wants to place bets on who the 1st ISP is to offer consumers their very own OC768 ?

Isn't that 4.8 GB per second?

I only have a 1Mbit connection and paying $55/month :( 

I would have a party if I could get 10Mbit :)

First step, buy more HDD's.

Why? At 10Gbps it would be faster to load something from the internet than to read it from a HDD :rofl:.

at the compuetr store i owned, we had a 10 up/10 down for $59 a month special... upload was amazing... some people don't need it, but for those that skype, video host, or whatever, its a breathe of fresh air compared to regular ISP's.

I only have a 1Mbit connection and paying $55/month :(

I would have a party if I could get 10Mbit :)

Ya because right now you are partying like it's 1999

• Like 2

I have 30Mbit download and 5Mbit upload but it's throttled most of the time to 10Mbit download and 1Mbit upload :/

I pay $40/month for it, and it's a rip-off, but it's either this, or Nopecast.

Back in the US I had 101/35Mbps (more like 120/40). Now i'm down to 6Mbps/768kbps and I wanna cry. LOL. The fastest available here.... a "blazing fast" 16/1Mbps. Like WTF - I thought this was Europe where internet is 10x faster and 10x cheaper than USA! I was doped! :p

We should be moving and fast(er) internet is one of the criteria of the new place (y)

and here is me impatiently waiting for FTTC to finish being done around here, as I am getting 21 / 1 on dsl at present and I want MORE!!!!