Microsoft to sell Xbox One without Kinect for

I'm now waiting for all the people who said they're going to buy it once it comes without Kinect to now buy one.   Pics or it didn't happen guys.  ;)

I'm gonna get one but not for $399 I wont. My Xbox 360 still working great and i'll stick with it till it hit the magical $250-300 price :p - maybe even $350 (so my wife can kill me for spending "that much money on a toy" ;) )

• Like 1

I'm now waiting for all the people who said they're going to buy it once it comes without Kinect to now buy one.   Pics or it didn't happen guys.  ;)

Maybe -T- can now sell his Xbox One to one of these people? 

This was always going to happen, it's the only way to get the price of the console down. MS was caught with their pants down when Sony put out the PS4 specs at the price the console is selling for, only way back in was to make a decision to go against their original plans. It's just business. Had a feeling they might undercut a little to compensate for the consoles innards, but price parity is the biggest requirement.

• Like 1

But I thought that Kinect was required for the full Xbone experience... now they tell us that isn't so!?

It is still required for the "Full" XB1 experience, without Kinect, you don't have voice control, biometric sign-in, etc.  Thus it is not the "Full" XB1 experience.

It is still required for the "Full" XB1 experience, without Kinect, you don't have voice control, biometric sign-in, etc.  Thus it is not the "Full" XB1 experience.

No xbox record that too...

• Like 2

Those people were just being talking heads, they still aren't going to buy it, because there were just adding FUD to the mix from the beginning.

Maybe -T- can now sell his Xbox One to one of these people? 

This was always going to happen, it's the only way to get the price of the console down. MS was caught with their pants down when Sony put out the PS4 specs at the price the console is selling for, only way back in was to make a decision to go against their original plans. It's just business. Had a feeling they might undercut a little to compensate for the consoles innards, but price parity is the biggest requirement.

Retailers can undercut if they feel the need, they've been doing it before.

Surely you can use the controller to record stuff anyway?

If not, patch up the OS with a trigger like holding in the XB button for 3 seconds to mimic PS4's share button.

Other than Xbox On, this is pretty much the only thing I do with Kinect. It is a nice feature.

If not, patch up the OS with a trigger like holding in the XB button for 3 seconds to mimic PS4's share button.

Good Idea! but why do that, if you didn't want Kinect, then obviously you didn't want the features that Kinect provided.

Good Idea! but why do that, if you didn't want Kinect, then obviously you didn't want the features that Kinect provided.

But the kinect isn't necessary for those features to work, as demonstrated by the PS4's share button.

On the subject of the DVR features though, hopefully they do get patched in because I only have the auto-30 second clips available to me without Kinect, which sucks. And hopefully the unplugged kinect icon will be gone too!

Because you do should not need a camera/microphone to record/share game footage. Never heard of anyone on the PC using a webcam to record things, and obviously as pointed out the PS4 can do it, so if MS can't already a simple patch will fix that (such as tieing the function to the long press of the guide button?).

I don't blame Microsoft at all - instead, I blame both developers AND users.

Please explain what you blame "users" for?

Voice control is one thing and only needs a mic, it's the motion, the passing fad, that MS wrongly invested heavily in IMO. Are there any numbers on how many people actually play Kinect games regularly and if it's something gamers actually "want" in large numbers?

Because you do should not need a camera/microphone to record/share game footage. Never heard of anyone on the PC using a webcam to record things, and obviously as pointed out the PS4 can do it, so if MS can't already a simple patch will fix that (such as tieing the function to the long press of the guide button?).

A long press of the guide button brings up the "Turn off" prompt. They could probably use one of the smaller buttons on either side though and say hold it for x seconds to record instead of doing whatever they normally do.

Send it back for warranty repairs, even if its not going to be bundled or you dont plan to use it. You shouldn't let companies sell you a item that doesn't work.

The hardware is fine, the voice-recognition and auto-sign-in don't work. Not something that can be fixed by RMA.

It is still not cheap enough considering you can get the xbox titanfall bundle with Kinect for the same price in the uk

As George said to me retailers will start undercutting, at least in the UK where retailers pretty much do as they please with RRPs.

the beauty of  "Xbox, record that" is you don't have to stop playing. If you are still in the heat of the battle, buttons are not an option.

the beauty of  "Xbox, record that" is you don't have to stop playing. If you are still in the heat of the battle, buttons are not an option.

PS4 records the last 15 minutes at all times so you never need to worry about missing out in the moment (unless your moment lasts 16 minutes  :s). I was under the impression the XB1 done something similar.

PS4 records the last 15 minutes at all times so you never need to worry about missing out in the moment (unless your moment lasts 16 minutes  :s). I was under the impression the XB1 done something similar.

honestly, I don't know. I don't have One yet.

I agree with other posters that whats the XboxOne now without Kinect?  Its basically a less powerful ps4 with some exclusives.

Well, they are close enough in power, so that isn't really a concern. So now what sets the Xbox aside is the exclusives and it's media functionality with the HDMI in and snap. But making Kinect not mandatory is going to, IMO, put the nail in the coffin on Kinect. No Kinect 3.0 for the Xbox Two.

honestly, I don't know. I don't have One yet.

X1 can only auto-record 30 second achievement unlocks or flagged moments in games without kinect, i.e when you rank up in BF4. I think it can also do it when it thinks something "cool" happened, i.e you have a kill streak etc. I get loads of them when I play and it can be random when it chooses to record, sometimes you're not really doing anything.

To record for 5 minutes you need to use the "Xbox, record that" command with Kinect.

The guide button is capable of multi-press commands so it wouldn't be too much to ask to add another or to customize it like you can the share button on the DS4. There's no delay and it's quicker than voice commands.

X1 can only auto-record achievement unlocks or flagged moments in games, i.e you will get 30 seconds recordings when you rank up in BF4. I think it can also do it when it thinks something "cool" happened, i.e you have a kill streak etc. I get loads of them when I play and it can be random when it chooses to record, sometimes you're not really doing anything.

To record for 5 minutes you need to use the "Xbox, record that" command with Kinect.

The guide button is capable of multiple button press commands so it wouldn't be too much to ask to add another or to customize it like you can the share button on the DS4. There's no delay and it's quicker than voice commands.

Ah right, maybe they can improve on that over time. From my understanding the PS4 offloads continual recording into the RAM, and then on hitting share moves the last 15 minutes to the hard drive (that's it saved permanently now). That way the hard drive isn't being constantly recorded to every time you play a game. With 8GB I'm sure the XB1 can do something similar, I assume it's a little trickier with the 'three OS' overheads though.