Xbox Games with Gold: June 2014

We?re pleased to bring Games with Gold to Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox One in June. Members will have subscription-based access to free games ranging from top hits to breaking indie stars. The program will launch on Xbox One with ?Max: The Curse of Brotherhood? and ?Halo: Spartan Assault.? A single Gold membership will get you access to the free games for both Xbox One and Xbox 360.

This is buried in the Kinectless SKU news.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

And you don't get to keep the games according to the fine print. :/

Xbox One:

• Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

Xbox 360:

• Dark Souls
  • Charlie Murder
  • Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition

-----

Xbox Games with Gold: May 2014

• Like 3

Nice to see them branch it out to Xbox One so soon. Anyone here played Halo: Spartan Assault? I took a brief look at it when it was first released on Windows Phone but never got around to trying it out.

EDIT: Ahh, I misread; I thought Halo: Spartan Assault was the 360 game. So even better, it's two Xbox One games and two Xbox 360 games each month; I thought they were doing one of each. :P The 360 games for next month are Dark Souls and Charlie Murder. Ooh, and a bonus game! Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition. My brother's definitely gonna want to play me on that now especially since he gave me his old arcade stick. Can't dodge it for much longer! :laugh:

A small sacrifice which enables better games in the end (Y) They can't continue with the selection they have now in the face of PS+. Keeping them is worthless when they're so old / already so popular you own them.

Glad I held off on Max and Halo though. They had terrible prices to begin with. Very happy Munky today :D Feel like we should merge every debate we've had into one super topic to close the deal :laugh:

• Like 3

They're also going to be doing the weekly deals for gold members it says, so I'm guessing gold members on Xbox One will get nice sales for things after June 9th.

Really, all these, in my mind, big announcements and you'd think they'd wait for E3 to do it, guess they have other plans.  Phil already making his mark I'd say.

I think, given what happened last year, they want E3 to be about games and games only.

Looks like MS is in full speed recovery mode as I though GwG wasn't due on XB1 until Nov time. I haven't checked the market place much but there isn't many titles to give away for free each month.

I think, given what happened last year, they want E3 to be about games and games only.

Looks like MS is in full speed recovery mode as I though GwG wasn't due on XB1 until Nov time. I haven't checked the market place much but there isn't many titles to give away for free each month.

There could be a number of games out of the ID@Xbox program that hit in June and later that they can tap into maybe, but I agree that there isn't much right now.

I haven't ditched my XBL sub since I beta tested the service but for a couple weeks when I was waiting for a paycheck during college, so I don't forsee that being an issue :P

As I said in the other thread I'm excited about this as there are a handful of early release games I haven't bothered to pick up yet so I'll likely cash in big between this and the deals program.

Yippy skippy...game rentals like PSN+. We get to keep the games on Xbox 360, but rent them on the Xbox One. So confusing.

Yippy skippy...game rentals like PSN+. We get to keep the games on Xbox 360, but rent them on the Xbox One. So confusing.

Not sure how it's renting if you're playing them for free. Being able to continue playing them is a legitimate benefit of having a gold account.

If MS wants to offer new and time relevant content, even have release day content being free, they pretty much have to. I don't think it's that great if the future simply holds games you played 3 years ago.

For anyone that has dissed the PS+ method just wait till you start getting new games for free the day they are released, or content that's within <12 months old. Don't think you'll be singing the same song then.

*Insert obligatory "who doesn't have Gold" comment here* :p If you've subbed for 11 years, are you going to stop now?

This is good news. Better games and more of them (Y) For all we know they will make the games permanent again once the game library expands.

I think it's fine for me in a sense since I personally don't replay lots of games I get, so "renting" is fine as well.

If MS wants to offer new and time relevant content, even have release day content being free, they pretty much have to. I don't think it's that great if the future simply holds games you played 3 years ago.

For anyone that has dissed the PS+ method just wait till you start getting new games for free the day they are released, or content that's within <12 months old. Don't think you'll be singing the same song then.

Totally agree. The fact of the matter is it will lead to much better games being available.

That's a bit unfair. Some people like the thought of actually owning the games in some form.

I like that idea myself, I just don't fall into the camp that is against Sony's method (I own their console and pay for ps+ quite happily after all :laugh:)

*Insert obligatory "who doesn't have Gold" comment here* :p If you've subbed for 11 years, are you going to stop now?

This is good news. Better games and more of them (Y) For all we know they will make the games permanent again once the game library expands.

This is another situation where in a perfect world, I think everyone would prefer ability to keep the games regardless of your subscription, but then reality sets in.

I'm not shocked at all that it came to this. You can't expect MS or Sony to just give us free games that were released recently without some way of making it profitable for them in the long run. Tying them to a subscription is probably the only way a system like this could last.

Nice to see them branch it out to Xbox One so soon. Anyone here played Halo: Spartan Assault? I took a brief look at it when it was first released on Windows Phone but never got around to trying it out.

It's a decent twin stick shooter set in the Halo universe with a good mix of really easy and really hard missions. Takes about two-three hours to complete on X1, which includes the extra five missions. As a freebie it's definitely a good deal!

This is proof of why we need competition.

Last gen we had the PS3 stumble and we ended up with a great platform\exclusives with some great incentives that lead the charge onto their very gamer-conscious next console.
This gen we had the XB1 stumble and we are starting to see the changes that people really wanted out of MS and we now have Phil Spencer to lead the gamer-conscious charge for the new console.

Removing the paywall, cheaper SKU, and Games with Gold for XB1. It's a great start to this generation so far!

• Like 3

Perfectly right, though i sense a consolidation coming on for the next cycle...something tells me MS and Sony have had too much drama over the last six months and may consider joining forces next time around. Just a hunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like we won't see the Xbox One games until the June update hits:

Next month, Xbox Live Gold members can look forward to a total of five free games on Xbox One and Xbox 360. As Head of Xbox Phil Spencer recently announced, June?s system update will debut Games with Gold on Xbox One, with Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Halo: Spartan Assault. We will announce specific dates that these games will be available soon.

image?url=8Oaj9Ryq1G1_p3lLnXlsaZgGzAie6M  image?url=8Oaj9Ryq1G1_p3lLnXlsaZgGzAie6M

On Xbox 360, Xbox Live Gold members will receive a bonus third title in June to celebrate the one-year anniversary of Games with Gold. Starting Sunday, June 1st, Dark Souls (normally US $19.99) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through June 15th.

Then on June 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download two titles, Charlie Murder (normally US $9.99) and Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (normally US $29.99) , for free through June 30th.

boxartsm.jpg  boxartsm.jpg  boxartsm.jpg

*Titles are available as free downloads for qualifying Xbox Live Gold members in all markets where Xbox Live is available. Some regions may offer different titles depending on market availability

http://majornelson.com/2014/05/30/xbox-live-games-with-gold-for-june-2014/

Not a huge deal. Looking forward to Halo!

I actually almost purchased both games for the One, so this is a good deal no doubt. Glad I held off. (Y)

Now hopefully Peggle 2 is next month, although not holding my breath on that one.

Looks like MS is in full speed recovery mode

They are doing a good job too. In my very humble opinion they are taking the decisions they must take.

Nice, sounds like they copied PS+ and offering both X1 games at the start of the month. No more split offer / waiting :D

Xbox One Games with Gold Are Now Available for Download

Good news for Xbox Live Gold members: Games with Gold and Deals with Gold for Xbox One are now available. As detailed last month, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood and Halo: Spartan Assault can be downloaded from the Xbox Games store for free with your Xbox Live Gold membership.

image?url=8Oaj9Ryq1G1_p3lLnXlsaZgGzAie6M  image?url=8Oaj9Ryq1G1_p3lLnXlsaZgGzAie6M

Additionally, Xbox One Deals with Gold is also live; purchase Crimson Dragon at 50% off.

When the June system update is rolled out soon, you?ll find a new hub in Xbox One for exploring all of the great benefits available to Xbox Live Gold members, including Games with Gold and Deals with Gold. We?ll update you when the system update becomes available.

Don?t forget, two more Games with Gold for Xbox 360 will become available on June 16th.

Titles are available as free downloads for qualifying Xbox Live Gold members in all markets where Xbox Live is available. Some regions may offer different titles depending on market availability.

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/03/xbox-one-games-with-gold-are-now-available-for-download/?linkId=8404991

• Like 3