Hooking up a faster N router to a N-Modem/Router...does this work?

i have this modem / router

Arris TG862G/CT

I believe it is a wireless N modem/router. (all in one)

i need this for all the services we have at home (cable, phone, internet).

currently we are supposed to be getting 50mbps DOWN...did a speedtest and get around 33mbps...on this Arris TG Modem/Router

can i hook up a faster router and get better service? is this even worth it?

is there anything i can do or should do for this???

What do you get when your wired to the router.. I take it your 33mbps was when wireless?

Wired connection is faster than Wireless...  check the speed test on wired connection and see if you are able to get 50 instead of 33.

Hook the cable line to your PC/laptop from modem and check the test.

Yes - Testing is a Wireless Speed

i will test when i get home from work.

my question is, if i buy a wireless AC router or a new Wireless N router and hook it to that device would that make sense or makea difference via a wifi test

What are you wireless clients? If they are 1x1 N then most likely Not. If 2x2 should be able to get 50ish.. I see high 40's low 50's on mine. If they are not AC buying a AC router is pointless - Most N clients are 2x2 at most so getting fancy 3x3 or 4x4 N doesn't really get you much other than maybe handle more clients at higher speeds.

Do you have lots of other wireless clients at the time.. How far away are you from the router?

What is your client you are testing with? If you want sure you can bump up your wireless AP, its as simple as turning off the wireless on your current device and connecting a new AP or wireless router as AP to lan port. If the device you get is a wireless router, to use it just as AP - disable its dhcp server, set its IP to be on your network and connect it to your current router with one of its lan ports, etc.

I would validate for sure that your getting the speed via wire first.. I see about 57mbps on my connection.

I did the test via a wired connect

I got 53 mb down

I'm not far maybe 100-150ft at most

I just want speed

I was testing with speedtest.net

Any guidance on just keeping the arris modem and router above or to get a new wifi router to tie into it

Tks

Danks

What does your wireless connection show? 

What is your wireless card on the device your testing with?  If its 1x1  does not matter if you had a 8x8 wireless super N with turbo boost speed, etc..  No that doesn't exist just making up nonsense to make a point..  Does not matter what wireless router you have if your client is the bottle neck.

Are you using 20 or 40mhz channel - you can try the 40 to see if you can get some more speed out of your wireless.  Do you have a lot of other wireless networks in your area?

i have two laptops

LG G2 cell phones

Galaxy Tab 3

laptops have Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro - wireless N card

Samsung Ativ Plus 9 - wireless ac,n card

i tested on laptop and cell and got  33mbs download...

there are other wireless networks in area live in apartment

And is your wireless set for 20 or 40mhz?  That router is a 2x2..  What is your wireless connection speed showing 300? 144?  Something else?

Have to look up what those cards are..

Fire up say http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Oh looks like they went pay - F that, just grab the older FREE version.  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/inssider.html

What do you show for interference, etc..  let me fire it up on the wife's laptop to give you an idea of what to look for, etc.

edit:  Ok here is from my wifes laptop

post-14624-0-91123200-1400072456.jpg

You can see windows reports 300, and signal strength and using 11+7 (40 mhz)  And what other network in the area might be interfering..  I have to track down this HP 1C thing - I don't have any HP printers.. But that signal looks so strong seems to be in the house??

edit2:  Ok found that HP printer, it was my Cannon HF R40 camera, it was plugged into my computer..  Wasn't even on..  Pulled the batter off and wireless went away so clearly that - going to have to look into why it says its a freaking printer, etc..  There is a new firmware update, might try that..

But anyway -- If you could fire up insidder or something like it we could see what is going on in your network..  Feel free to hide your SSID or others in your area etc..   We are just interested in see the strengths and your connection speed, etc..

okay i made a post and it got deleted but i lost it...so here goes..

im not sure what it means to be 20hz or 40hz however ive attached the screen shots now...

also would hooking up an AC router to the wireless N modem/router i have increase speed/quality?? of course if the computer had AC Network cards...

or can i hook up a high quality N router to get better speeds off the Arris TG Modem I wrote about above (Arris TG862G/CT )

post-129693-0-68044400-1400121715.png

post-129693-0-39729200-1400121724.png

Ok for one your signal is kind of low -53.  Second you have others all over your channel - 4 others on the SAME as you..And your only using 20mhz.

802.11n brought the ability to combine channels so vs using just 20mhz you could use 40mhz..  AC when all said and done will be able to do 160mhz..

Seems your very crowded so going to 40 mhz channels might not help - you need to look in your router configuration if supported or not..  I would look to see if 6 is the best channel..  Look on your graph and see what other channels are in play.

See the bottom graph on the left in my pic -- see all the other wireless networks..  I might be better off moving to 11, the strength of those are smaller.  I did get rid of that strong one on mine that was my camera.  So look at that graph and see if maybe 1 or 11 is better.  Your on 6 which is default and normally everyone sits there because they don't know enough to change it ;)

Also you seem to be running yours in b/g/n mode - do you have b or g devices?  If not change it to N only - not running in pure N will be a hit.  With N it is possible to use 400ns guard vs 800ns -- this can be a bandwidth increase of 10% or so if you can use it.  Allowing for b/g for sure will mean your not.

I would try changing your channel to 1 or 11, I would see if your router supports 40 vs 20 for your channel size and would put it into N only mode - unless you have b/g devices?  I find it hard to believe any B - so change to g/n if that is the case.

If your still not hitting your internet speed.  New AP could help yes - do your devices support 5ghz vs 2.4?  You might want to look to a dual band AP - this supports 2.4 and 5.  Notice on the graph on bottom right of my pic, this is 5ghz notice how like no other wireless networks there..  Looking up the specs of your laptop cards http://ark.intel.com/products/75440/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-7260

They are 2x2 cards that support 5ghz. Your router only support 2.4, so getting a dual band and moving to less crowded 5ghz band could really boost your performance.  Depending on size of your place, etc. you can always run more than 1 AP, etc.

What kind of budget are you looking at if you would buy a new one.  I just pulled the trigger on an AC router myself - which I have NO use for since don't have any ac wireless and no plans of getting any soon.  I got it more just for testing and play, IT is what I do and its a hobby for me as well -- so being able to play with AC with the AC card I bought will be fun - but not gong to replace the gig wire my desktop currently has, etc.

Having AC is not going to buy you more speed if your clients are N..  So it would be up to you if you spend the money..  A good dual band N would prob be the better option - but its your money..

THESE ARE THE DEVICES we have...

LG G2 cell phones
Galaxy Tab 3

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro - wireless N card
Samsung Ativ Plus 9 - wireless ac,n card

i dont mind upgrading the laptops to wireless N

i was going to dump the landline and get this wireless AC modem/router.

our apt is 1100 sq ft single flooor (3rd floor) out of 3 floors

currently running this modem - Arris TG862G/CT

With me having Comcast/Xfinity I'm not sure how best to run things....once again I pay for 50 DOWN

My budget is under $250

all of my devices are N compat just need to figure out how to configure to N only..

Your laptops are already dual band 2.4 and 5ghz cards from what I saw. Did you mean upgrade them to AC? That might be more difficult than it sounds - some makers lock the bios to what internal card they can use. So it might not be as easy as swap. And using an external card kind of sucks - they normally are not as good as internal and stick out from the laptop, etc.

The problem I see with your current router is that is only 2.4, getting another wireless router or just plain AP that is dual band and run that in conjunction with your current one might be best idea. With a smaller area to cover 5ghz should give you good coverage and would hope is less crowded, etc.

For that budget, I would prob look to something like this - its a bit more complicated than your typical wireless router used as AP. But should give you pretty much the best wireless you could hope for.

http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#appro

If your looking for an all in one sort of box, then yeah that should work - it is 3x3 and has 26 and 23 dbm outputs listed in the spec sheet, for 2.4 and 5 ghz respectively. So seems a bit higher than your typical soho router.

Where the unifi pro is 30 and 22.