Photo

Any Office 2015 news?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Mazhar

Mazhar

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:24

I am eagerly awaiting Office 2015, is there any news about it?

#2 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:25

Yes it'll include Word

:p

edit

Most of the rival sites claim it'll be released nearer to the end of this year, I haven't seen much else....

#3 nitins60

nitins60

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:45

Is it for me alone?

I believe, Office is already a decade advanced than Users usage and century advanced than competitors.

Let them take their own time to come up with new application to easy the professional work further more ;)

#4 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:11

Wonder how long before the full suite is retired for Office 365 only, hell 90% of the people at work would be fine, guessing most users would be ok also, and they can make more money off subs 

#5 Atlanowl

Atlanowl

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:24

I wonder if there are any news about Office for Mac 2014

#6 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:47

Well, one thing is sure, they won't be releasing InfoPath 2015/6. http://blogs.office....arepoint-forms/

I don't like how they abandon stuff. They could easily release that application for free if they don't plan on improving it in the future. :( Same story with Accounting.

#7 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

• Phone: Motorola Droid Mini

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:50

Is it for me alone?

I believe, Office is already a decade advanced than Users usage and century advanced than competitors.

Let them take their own time to come up with new application to easy the professional work further more ;)

The consensus for us at work is that MS screwed up Office 2013 in trying to touch-enable it instead of just making a separate touch based version.  As a result my work at least (happily) continues to use Office 2010.  Now we'd probably continue to use Office 2010 as it isn't so much that we need feature X or Y that it lacks however standard support for Office 2010 ends in 2015 I believe so if we want to continue to get patches (specifically security ones) then we'll need to upgrade.

With MS having more time to produce touch-centric versions that are separate from the normal Desktop version (such as the release of Office for iPad) as well as the backtracking on touch-heavy Windows 8 to be more "desktop" (mouse/keyboard) friendly again the hope is that Office 2015 will once again offer a product we're happy to upgrade to.

#8 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:54

The consensus for us at work is that MS screwed up Office 2013 in trying to touch-enable it instead of just making a separate touch based version.  As a result my work at least (happily) continues to use Office 2010.  Now we'd probably continue to use Office 2010 as it isn't so much that we need feature X or Y that it lacks however standard support for Office 2010 ends in 2015 I believe so if we want to continue to get patches (specifically security ones) then we'll need to upgrade.

With MS having more time to produce touch-centric versions that are separate from the normal Desktop version (such as the release of Office for iPad) as well as the backtracking on touch-heavy Windows 8 to be more "desktop" (mouse/keyboard) friendly again the hope is that Office 2015 will once again offer a product we're happy to upgrade to.

Interacting with the UI with a mouse hasn't changed between 2010 and 2013.  At least for nothing that I've used it for.  Unless you're talking about the menu bar?

#9 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2014 - 19:57

Wonder how long before the full suite is retired for Office 365 only, hell 90% of the people at work would be fine, guessing most users would be ok also, and they can make more money off subs 

There is ZERO chance the company I work for would ever buy Office 365.  They'd never put their data on some other companies servers.  In fact, access to Office 365 and OneDrive are blocked at work so you can't even use them if you have a personal account.  They're building their own "cloud" where they own the servers but they're located in datacenters shared by the different locations instead of each location having it's own set of servers.  So they ARE adopting the "cloud" methology but they're doing it all internally, not outsourcing it to some other company that can look through the files on "their server".  I'd imagine the same is true for most large companies that make up a good portion of MS's Office income.  365 is great for students and small businesses who can't afford to build up their own datacenters but I don't think it's ever going to take off in large corporations.

#10 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2014 - 20:03

Interacting with the UI with a mouse hasn't changed between 2010 and 2013.  At least for nothing that I've used it for.  Unless you're talking about the menu bar?

So what would we upgrade for?  The point is just that there is nothing really to compel an upgrade in 2013 as most of the dev effort was focused on adding touch friendly features that we don't care about.  I didn't mean to imply that it got much WORSE for non-touch just that there's nothing to merit spending on an upgrade (there may even be a few nice tweaks but Office isn't cheap to buy company-wide so it's not worth the upgrade).  There probably won't be anything in Office 2015 to merit spending on an upgrade either as far as features, we're quite happy with 2010.  Unfortunately standard support for 2010 ends in 2015 so we'll either have to pay for extended support or upgrade.  So in all likelihood we'll upgrade to 2015 just because that buys of 5 more years of standard support which is probably cheaper in the long run then paying for 5 more years of extended support for 2010.

#11 elenarie

elenarie

Newbie .NET / game dev

• Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 27 May 2014 - 20:05

There is ZERO chance the company I work for would ever buy Office 365.  They'd never put their data on some other companies servers.  In fact, access to Office 365 and OneDrive are blocked at work so you can't even use them if you have a personal account.  They're building their own "cloud" where they own the servers but they're located in datacenters shared by the different locations instead of each location having it's own set of servers.  So they ARE adopting the "cloud" methology but they're doing it all internally, not outsourcing it to some other company that can look through the files on "their server".  I'd imagine the same is true for most large companies that make up a good portion of MS's Office income.  365 is great for students and small businesses who can't afford to build up their own datacenters but I don't think it's ever going to take off in large corporations.

You do realise what you just described is possible with Office 365 and Azure on-the-premise, right?

#12 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 27 May 2014 - 20:08

So what would we upgrade for?  The point is just that there is nothing really to compel an upgrade in 2013 as most of the dev effort was focused on adding touch friendly features that we don't care about.  I didn't mean to imply that it got much WORSE for non-touch just that there's nothing to merit spending on an upgrade (there may even be a few nice tweaks but Office isn't cheap to buy company-wide so it's not worth the upgrade).  There probably won't be anything in Office 2015 to merit spending on an upgrade either as far as features, we're quite happy with 2010.  Unfortunately standard support for 2010 ends in 2015 so we'll either have to pay for extended support or upgrade.  So in all likelihood we'll upgrade to 2015 just because that buys of 5 more years of standard support which is probably cheaper in the long run then paying for 5 more years of extended support for 2010.

You do realise what you just described is possible with Office 365 and Azure on-the-premise, right?

Yeah, sounds like O365 is the way to go.  

#13 Harrison H.

Harrison H.

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 27 May 2014 - 20:09

Small companies... Yep, that must be why large companies and governments with 10's of thousands of users are switching over to Office 365.

#14 Asmodai

Asmodai

Neowinian

Posted 27 May 2014 - 20:21

What does that matter?  I wasn't saying it wasn't possible.  I'm not trying to even say anything good or bad about Office 365 or even Azure (which I personally think is excellent btw).  The fact is my company isn't even looking at Office 365, not even considering the possibility.  Now maybe that's dumb of them, I don't know, I don't even care, it's irrelevant.  I'm pretty sure my company isn't the only one with this sort of thinking (right or wrong).  The point being is these companies WANT to buy stand alone Office products.  They have LOTS of money and are willing to PAY for stand alone Office products... even upgrade every 5 years to keep standard support.  So it would be a very poor business decision for MS to just stop selling stand alone Office to these companies.  There is a good chance that the ill will created by trying to force them to go to 365 by retiring support for old versions without releasing a new stand alone version would force an "anything but MS" solution instead.  Maybe MS will eventually get companies like mine to come around with things like Azure on-the-premises... who knows what's going to happen 2 or 3 cycles (10 or 15 years) down the road but I can tell you that trying to force them almost certainly wouldn't work so at least for the next cycle 2015-2020 I don't think it's going to happen.

#15 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 27 May 2014 - 20:42

What does that matter?  I wasn't saying it wasn't possible.

You just ranted about how large companies won't switch to Office 365 because they don't want to put their data on some other companies servers.

When you were told that it wasn't true, that you could use Office 365 with internal servers owned by your company... you say it doesn't matter?

Over 60% of Fortune 500 companies use Office 365. Your argument that it's not for large businesses, only small businesses and students, is wrong.