Do you donate to charity?

Charity  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you donate to charity?

• Yup
    • Nope

Simple poll. Sound off below why you do/don't/can't/won't.

(Note: donate doesn't have to mean money, it can be clothing, food, or even volunteering is a form of donating (i.e. your time))

yup, clothes and money mostly, don't have the time, too busy doing nothing :p

Mostly to the childrens ward at my local hospital, after they managed to save one of my twin daughters, and a couple of breast cancer charities my wife donates to, as she is large breasted and is worried she might be at risk

as she is large breasted and is worried she might be at risk

Does being large-breasted increase risk?

Nope, I never got given hand outs and I've done fine.

My taxes go into paying for medical research so I don't bother donating to ones which are crowd funded/donations based. 

Save the African kids, Red Cross, etc I don't donate to because I think they are useless. Save the Kids builds a reliance on western nation donations for the kids of Africa, it may help them temporarily but long term its doing more harm than good.

Red Cross I don't donate to because I've seen the clientele they assist, its typically junkies basically no-hopers who have no interest in going clean or living a proper life they just want free food/stuff while they spend all their money on drugs. (Obviously not all cases are like that for the Red Cross and I'm sure they actually help people who deserve help)

I've had people ask for money for saving a rain forest, some reef, etc etc. It seems like everyone and everything these days wants a donation.

Does being large-breasted increase risk?

not sure about the statistic, but breast cancer has taken many of her relatives, and they've all been dd cups or larger... naturally that sort of thing gets into one's head, despite my attempts to comfort her.

dont donate any money becuase I dont see any changes. They spend more money tv adverts than they do helping. Plus in the end behind every organization, theres a guy getting rich from it, and the people probably recieve less than half of the donated money.

Money, no, clothes and other stuff, yes. I rather give money to the people on the street, that way I know the money are really going to them (whatever they choose to do with them afterwards is their choice).

I've given money to schools and students for books, etc.

I'm not really concerned with what they did with the money - giving is giving, if I wanted to give them money in return for doing something, I'd hire them for a job.

I donate financially and with time to charities.  What that entails for me:

• At worthy venues, sponsoring or becoming a patron
  • At worthy venues, dropping money into a collection box
  • Buying a meal (take-away) for homeless people (this to me is a better solution than giving money)
  • Donating my time - meaning that I DJ for free or reduced rates for charities, bearing in mind my usual evening rate is around ?350

I used to have a standing order for a charity, but they pestered me again and again for more, that I dropped them.

With reference to the DJing, what I WILL NOT do is pander to those "my kid has {insert affliction here} will you DJ for free?" questions.  They don't need a party, it's more a case that the parent wants to have a party and uses the kid as the excuse.  Then they say "Oh but it's for charity", fine, what's your registered charity number.  People who ask for freebies don't get them.  What I am reactive to is "Hey, I've been to a few of your gigs.  My son is kinda ill and it's his birthday, is there anything we can do?"

I might later, when I have accumulated more money, and therefore have more to give away. I doubt that much of the little sums of money that I could donate would actually go to those who actually need the money - so I don't currently donate. I don't donate clothes - I use them until they're well and truly dead. Books I hoard :D

Once I have a worthwhile amount of money to donate, I'll very carefully select which charity/foundation I donate it to - I want the vast majority (>99%) going to those that need my donation, rather than propping up the luxury lifestyle of the CEO and the advertising and collection agencies.

I suspect my money will be going to either a local animal shelter, a school, or a well managed and transparent medical research foundation.  

I give away clothes that I don't wear (washed and ironed correctly) and since we have this system here that when you take away beer cans ( and others for example) you'll get 0.08 cents from one I usually give away those to the homless I see going trough garbage. Think what you want about them but in the end they are humans after all, I know they can easily go and get more alcohol for it but maybe, just maybe, someone of them really needs and buys food for it. (I usually have tons of cans laying around, last I took them away myself I got over 16 euros for them lol)

It aint much but..oh well

• Like 1

I don't donate as much as I should. Humble Bundles count, don't they?

heh. Sure.

Yes, she did a mean pole dance.... oh wait.

I can't remember if I have or not, I might have... actually I donated a laptop one time, so yes I have.

• Like 1

Oh, if giving stuff away counts then yeah all the time.  Anything I don't want anymore, I just put on facebook and say "Meh, gimme a shout if you want this" from furniture to books, hardware and whatever.

This is open to all my friends, and sometimes in community pages.  There's one person specifically who wouldn't ge allowed, simply because she claims EVERYTHING and then you find she has put it on eBay.  That's not the point, it's so people get use - not money - I found that rather offensive.

• Like 1

Nope, I never got given hand outs and I've done fine.

One could argue that knowing about hardship could encourage one to want to help others, not necessarily reject the idea of charity all together.

Oh, if giving stuff away counts then yeah all the time.  Anything I don't want anymore, I just put on facebook and say "Meh, gimme a shout if you want this" from furniture to books, hardware and whatever.

This is open to all my friends, and sometimes in community pages.  There's one person specifically who wouldn't ge allowed, simply because she claims EVERYTHING and then you find she has put it on eBay.  That's not the point, it's so people get use - not money - I found that rather offensive.

I'd name and shame her, but that's just me, low life's like that need to be warned about so others don't end up being taken advantage of

One could argue that knowing about hardship could encourage one to want to help others, not necessarily reject the idea of charity all together.

Not really, my family didn't have much growing up and we lived in a rough neighborhood. You kinda lose hope when you see people walk into a red cross with a shopping cart and then come outside with it full of food, go to the park next door to shoot up and then pass out on a park bench with a trolley full of food next to them.

dont donate any money becuase I dont see any changes. They spend more money tv adverts than they do helping. Plus in the end behind every organization, theres a guy getting rich from it, and the people probably recieve less than half of the donated money.

Perhaps you don't see any changes because you're not looking. Here are some resources to show where charity does make a difference:

http://annualletter.gatesfoundation.org/en

http://www.givewell.org/

• Like 2