Do you donate to charity?

Charity  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you donate to charity?

• Yup
    • Nope

Not really, my family didn't have much growing up and we lived in a rough neighborhood. You kinda lose hope when you see people walk into a red cross with a shopping cart and then come outside with it full of food, go to the park next door to shoot up and then pass out on a park bench with a trolley full of food next to them.

That is an odd experience. You've seen an example of someone misusing charity, but what about kids who had a meal or families who were able to feed themselves after a provider was laid off?

I'm not judging your view, I agree that when you see charity misused it is upsetting, but it is worthwhile to remember that that a lot of people who receive are sincerely desperate. Not everyone one is a scammer.

I am on good terms with a local church, despite my atheism and general dislike of religion, I donate my time there because they do good work. I like being a part of that. I leave my ideology/views at the door and help out. The pastor is a pretty cool guy. We discuss belief and atheism every-so-often, and I've even had a few beers with him. A lot of the people who come in aren't looking for a handouts; they are generally proud and have to be convinced to take what they really need. These are families who've had the bread winner lose their job or an injury or illness render one parent incapable of working.

Again, I am not insulting your perspective, but I think it is worthwhile to appreciate not everyone is a hopeless case. A small amount of charity or kindness can go a long way. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd name and shame her, but that's just me, low life's like that need to be warned about so others don't end up being taken advantage of

Everyone knows who she is in the circle of friends, she is mocked for it, and her attitude towards not working but claiming benefits.  As such, nobody does ###### for her!

• 2 weeks later...