Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zoom7000

Recommend a New PC for Network Support Office

4 posts in this topic

I've just got a new job managing a primary school network and want to get a new PC for my broom cupboard office, to help manage the network. I'll be running Windows 8.1 with multiple Windows 7 VMs manage the network. I'm looking for at least a Core i7 with maybe 8-16Gb RAM and at least 1TB HDD although I could setting for 500GB. I also want a decent amount of USB 3.0 ports as there will be loads of file transfer stuff to external HDDs going on. Also, just to future proof myself for a few years at least!

I was initially looking at space saving PCs and came across the Lenovo Tiny PC M93p with the RAM upgraded. My supplier quoted me just over

1 person likes this

Consider a few things:

A powerful all in one. 

A dedicated small sized vm server and a computer. 

A laptop and a small vm server

A really powerful one sounds great until you are doing things that require a bit of power. 

1 person likes this

What about support for the machine you'll be needing? How about getting a Dell or HP with support? They have good office machines that can also be beefed up. How many VM's do you plan on running on that same PC?

Yes, that is why I want a ready build because I'll be needing at least a 3 year on site warranty. I'm looking to run 3 VMs on the PC. 1 for day to day network management, 1 for general testing and 1 for package building. So, it'll need to be pretty beefy!