xbox one kinect microsoft dashboard update yusuf mehdi

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:33

The big story of the day is how Microsoft will be selling the Xbox One without the Kinect starting this June. Good! But what about the user interface? The Xbox One's UI was designed to be "best" used with Kinect, and thankfully Microsoft will be addressing this matter.

"We do want to find ways to give you some of those shortcuts and make some of the things that we have with Kinect easier with the controller," Xbox's marketing lead Yusuf Mehdi told Engadget. "You can expect to see us do a bunch of things over the coming months to make the experience easier and easier, even if you don't have a Kinect."

All I want is auto-sign-in by default. It's really annoying having to sign-in into my one account every single time I turn on the Xbox One. Which isn't often, but you know what I mean.

The Xbox One price drop isn't just to boost sales, says Microsoft [Engadget]

http://www.destructo...ed-274807.phtml

#2 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:44

Pretty obvious step.

When you remove something that was integrated into the OS, you have to fill the holes.

Hopefully, it doesn't take too long for them to get up to speed.

I also hope this does not delay other upcoming updates.

#3 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:12

Auto sign in

Remove the warning kinect isn't plugged in

DVR shortcuts on the controller

All I want as far as OS/UI concerns go (Y)

#4 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:36

Auto sign in

Remove the warning kinect isn't plugged in

DVR shortcuts on the controller

All I want as far as OS/UI concerns go (Y)

The Kinect unplugged warning has to go, it's just annoying if the peripheral is no longer needed. I expect the coming update will remove it. I am actually secretly hoping the update will revive my own Kinect before i have to send it in for replacement. Here's to hope!

#5 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 May 2014 - 13:40

I'm not sure how they could dedicate controller buttons to dvr shortcuts.

There is no share button on the X1 controllers. The menu and view buttons usually already have assigned values while in a game. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

#6 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:18

I'm not sure how they could dedicate controller buttons to dvr shortcuts.

There is no share button on the X1 controllers. The menu and view buttons usually already have assigned values while in a game. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Same way they do for Snap? Double tap / triple tap customisation options on either the guide button. Or the View/Menu buttons.

#7 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:32

Same way they do for Snap? Double tap / triple tap customisation options on either the guide button. Or the View/Menu buttons.

That could get messy if they try to implement several controls that require multiple button presses.

My thinking is that the easiest way might be to just create a single button combo that loads up the snapped view of apps, then you would select the app you want to use.

As far as replacing the 'Xbox, Record that' function, I'm much more stumped about that. Another button combo could be used, but then that is really messy when your trying to create a clip while playing a game.

Maybe the 'view' button will need to remapped to that function or to launch the game dvr and made off limits to game developers.

#8 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:51

I'm hoping they don't remap the "Xbox record that" or "Xbox go to" options. If you want those, get a Kinect

#9 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:58

I'm hoping they don't remap the "Xbox record that" or "Xbox go to" options. If you want those, get a Kinect

Why do you care? You are selling your Xbox One.

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry596397739

#10 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:09

I just realized that no one commented on the fact that the thread title is that Kinect has been ditched.

I know some people have pointed out that Kinect has not be ditched.

#11 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:16

I just realized that no one commented on the fact that the thread title is that Kinect has been ditched.

Yep, but we know the Xbox naysayers have to produce clickbait titles, otherwise it would be logical news. Destructoid has been going downwards for a little while now too with many of their good staff leaving for greener pastures. It doesn't surprise me.

#12 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:18

Makes sense. The UI is in desperate need of some streamlining for controller input.

For all intents and purposes, it is being ditched. Its usefulness will now mimic the original's for the 360, and unlike the original, it's completely useless for the homebrew scene due to the proprietary connector. We won't see mainstream games, outside of dance/kinect-sports games, use it in any meaningful way.

#13 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:30

Why do you care? You are selling your Xbox One.

http://www.neowin.ne...#entry596397739

If it matters, my dad still has his. I didn't realise this prevented me having an opinion

#14 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:34

...the proprietary connector...

Yes, that was a d*ck move IMO. At least on the Xbox 360 there was an adapter for it to make it work on regular USB ports.

Same could happen for this Xbox One Kinect, but then again the "for Windows" variant had all kinds of fixes that weren't implemented on the Xbox 360 one and with better SDK support.

MS shouldn't make two different versions if they want developers to support it for multiple platforms.

<= Seriously, ###### happened to my profile...? Is that a 1337 joke?

#15 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:48

If it matters, my dad still has his. I didn't realise this prevented me having an opinion

Your bitterness in the first comment was clearly a personal one, not a reflection of your dad's opinion/ownership. Nobody is removing the voice commands, so why does it matter to you if they enable features with a controller?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!