Why is the PS4 outselling the Xbox One? Microsoft weighs in

Simple:

"The Xbox One hasn't sold as much as the PS4 because the PS4 is available in more regions and it's cheaper. We're looking to even the playing field by offering the Xbox One without the Kinect for the same price point and launching in Japan and 25 other markets in September."

Hey look at that. I said clear, concise statements that are true. Used no spin. AND I clearly stated how Microsoft is going to get back in the game. As a person whose personality and profession are the farthest you can possibly be from a marketing CO, it took me all of 15 seconds to formulate that response.

Well then maybe you should be a chief marketing and strategy officer. You clearly have a talent for it.

Another reason why the Xbox One has fallen behind the PS4 in terms of sales so far is because, according to Mehdi, Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

Except Sony is still selling plenty of PS3s as well. 

Given the bungled start and now the removal of the Kinect I think the One's numbers aren't all that bad. They could have been much worse.

Simple:

"The Xbox One hasn't sold as much as the PS4 because the PS4 is available in more regions and it's cheaper.

Oh man, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that. I'm curious, outside of the US/UK, in what region will having the One present make this generation really close?

On a personal level, now that MS has dropped the anchor that is Kinect, I may look into getting one later this year. Does anyone know that with their deal with NFL will the One display the RedZone channel (with Gold, I imagine)? I'm thinking of ways to avoid getting cable for another football season.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-is-the-ps4-outselling-the-xbox-one-microsoft-weighs-in/1100-6419622/

Argue about the sales force of the combined "smaller nations" all you want, but man, that PS3 comment. Sounds bitter as heck.

Where does Yusuf actually say smaller nations? I couldn't find it. I don't think what he's saying here is all that bad, except the part about people holding on to their 360s...that's saying the X1 isn't compelling enough to move on from the 360. And as someone whose photo should be hanging on Yusuf's wall (I bought Nutsjitsu day one for crying out loud), i still have to say i sold my 360 just as quickly as i did my PS3 when i decided to pull the trigger and get the X1. There's no shame in it - PS4 is selling better, all MS needs to say is we're aware and we'll do our best to close the gap and take the lead while listening to gamers and seeing what we can do.

Where does Yusuf actually say smaller nations? I couldn't find it. I don't think what he's saying here is all that bad, except the part about people holding on to their 360s...that's saying the X1 isn't compelling enough to move on from the 360. And as someone whose photo should be hanging on Yusuf's wall (I bought Nutsjitsu day one for crying out loud), i still have to say i sold my 360 just as quickly as i did my PS3 when i decided to pull the trigger and get the X1. There's no shame in it - PS4 is selling better, all MS needs to say is we're aware and we'll do our best to close the gap and take the lead while listening to gamers and seeing what we can do.

That was more a little sarcasm on my front - Obviously the higher ups at MS decided to launch in the countries they would be forecasted to sell the most. The remaining countries won't suddenly substantially increase the gap towards the PS4, at least not to the point of parity some people seem to be thinking. The main issue as well anyway is that even sales from these countries may now be "damaged" as the PS4 launched in them and will have somewhat of a foothold. It's been since last November, and MS still haven't released. I think most people thought a few months for the initial rush, maybe 6 months tops...

Again with the "More markets than we are in" excuse. Who's fault is that now? Sony's? AMD's? No, MS, it's yours.

Also

Another reason why the Xbox One has fallen behind the PS4 in terms of sales so far is because, according to Mehdi, Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

Source? What the...

I and most of my friends who own an PS3 have nothing bad to say about the PS3.

"People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short-term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360," Mehdi said. "We could point to any number of things."

Is this guy on drugs or something? No need to upgrade? What? It's a friggin' console and the PS3 still recieves updates and has in the past.

I have nothing against MS but for the love of god, don't let this guy talk again.

• Like 2

Honest question, not trolling: are the Ones outselling the PS4s in any region? I think i remembe reading that Ones were outselling PS4s in Aus, but that seemed to have more to do with a PS4 supply issue.

If not, then it's entirely speculation to argue when the One enters new regions people will go and buy it. I don't know how many people in the regions where PS4s are available but Ones aren't have been holding out for the launch of the One.

What do you guys expect him to say? That PS4 is doing better because it has better games, better performance & has been cheaper since launch?

Obviously he is not going to say that.

In other words, the PS4 is better all the way around and always has been, IMO. ;)

Oh man, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that. I'm curious, outside of the US/UK, in what region will having the One present make this generation really close?

On a personal level, now that MS has dropped the anchor that is Kinect, I may look into getting one later this year. Does anyone know that with their deal with NFL will the One display the RedZone channel (with Gold, I imagine)? I'm thinking of ways to avoid getting cable for another football season.

The point of my quote isn't that I think the extra territories will make a difference. In fact, I don't think Japan or any of the "tier 3" countries will close the gap. The point was to give an example of a possible PR response that isn't filled with arrogant spin and BS.

It's plausible that lowering the price in all regions and releasing in more territories will do something to drum up sales. It's a PR/marketing officer's job to make that sound optimistic and sell that to consumers. Something in which Yusuf completely failed.

Honest question, not trolling: are the Ones outselling the PS4s in any region? I think i remembe reading that Ones were outselling PS4s in Aus, but that seemed to have more to do with a PS4 supply issue.

If not, then it's entirely speculation to argue when the One enters new regions people will go and buy it. I don't know how many people in the regions where PS4s are available but Ones aren't have been holding out for the launch of the One.

PS4 was completely sold out in Australia the first 3-4 months and the Xbox One had more sales. The PS4 sold more units from Feb (While the PS4 was still sold-out in Australia, but Sony sent a few PS4 shipments over)

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/02/the-playstation-4-has-now-overtaken-the-xbox-one-in-australia/

Sony just announced in a press release that now, as stock begins to filter into Australia, the PS4 has now overtaken the Xbox One in overall sales to date, from the November launch till the week ending 2 February.

It was always an interesting situation. Most reports suggested the PS4 had secured far more pre-orders than the Xbox One, but a shortage of stock enabled Microsoft to take an early lead. Now that units are coming into Australia more frequently, the PlayStation 4 appears to be going from strength to strength.

Sales data supported by Smarthouse (NPD Group Australia)

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Outsells-Xbox-One-Australia-Microsoft-Says-They-Sold-More-Accessories-62335.html

And Sony Australia.

?It has been an enormous 12 months for PlayStation in Australia"... "The arrival of PS4 at the end of 2013 has further strengthened the love affair Australian gamers have with PlayStation. PS4 has been an astronomic success in Australia; a story that is replicated around the globe.

"As the world's most powerful home console, PS4 truly represents the next generation in gaming."

PS4 is the market leader in Australia also.

I know Microsoft now backpedalled on both but the reason they did is because the ps4 sold more so i'm happy i did not buy a One so far. I'm still kinda mad and still leaning toward the ps4 for that. It might change next fall but i'll take more than Titanfall it's a nice game but nothing to write home about imo.

So you will punish MS after they change things for the better?

I mean that's your choice, but I have a hard time doing that since it pretty much means companies never get the right message about the choices they make. If I like a product, but a bad choice kept me from buying it, I'm fine with buying it if that choice changes. However, if I didn't like the product in the first place, it wouldn't matter what choices they changed.

Its not outselling the ps4 anywhere and it will not outsell it in any region.

Now none of that means it can't sell well in other regions, but then I get the impression that the other regions just don't sell many consoles in general. Everyone keeps saying that the other regions don't count for much sales wise, so I would guess Sony isn't selling much outside of the same 13 regions.

So you will punish MS after they change things for the better?

Not really what i meant.

All this just makes me look at the PS4 as an option more seriously even after the backpedalling.

Not really what i meant.

All this just makes me look at the PS4 as an option more seriously even after the backpedalling.

so your saying that the backpeddling actually made you more interested in the ps4?

I hope one of the planned surprises of MS' E3 conference is Spencer firing Mehdi on stage.

• Like 3

so your saying that the backpeddling actually made you more interested in the ps4?

Hum no.

It puts the One back on track as a console i could potentially buy as my next gen system. Something it was not when it was more expensive.

But now that i already leaned toward the ps4 because the price drop and/or kinect less version was supposedly not coming according to fans then it will take a little bit more than just that to make me change my mind which was mostly already set.

Still the kinect less version is a great news as now the One is an option which it was not before. I'll make my final decision at E3 of this year. It was the plan all along anyway to wait until fall 2014.

E3 gonna be exciting this year.

The big problem I see the X1 still having is that the PS4 still performs better for the same price. What does the X1 give me over the PS4 when it comes to game performance which is what I really care about.

• Like 2

The big problem I see the X1 still having is that the PS4 still performs better for the same price. What does the X1 give me over the PS4 when it comes to game performance which is what I really care about.

The answer is nothing. There aren't any games out that really test either machine.

The answer is nothing. There aren't any games out that really test either machine.

All multiplatform games test the systems now, that is why the PS4 has better graphics on them. Both systems aren't fully optimized so the graphics will improve over time but no one should expect the type of improvements the PS3 had over its life. PS3 used completely custom hardware and had terrible development tools at the beginning the current gen consoles use PC architecture and good development software from the beginning.

I can't stand the Xbox One's interface.. It doesn't keep my from playing it, but it's really confusing..  I feel like I have to dig and do more clicks than I should to just get to settings..

fcad6257-18a4-4cf1-9dd5-82f8d25dacdc.png

Press that button, choose settings.

<snip>

I thought that was the case.

but then I get the impression that the other regions just don't sell many consoles in general. Everyone keeps saying that the other regions don't count for much sales wise, so I would guess Sony isn't selling much outside of the same 13 regions.

These are the other regions:

? Argentina
? Belgium
? Chile
? Colombia
? Czech Republic
? Denmark
? Finland
? Greece
? Hungary
? India
? Israel
? Japan
? Korea
? Netherlands
? Norway
? Poland
? Portugal
? Russia
? Saudi Arabia
? Singapore
? Slovakia
? South Africa
? Sweden
? Switzerland
? Turkey
? UAE

The Scandinavian markets might offer a boost. The Japanese don't really go for the Xboxes, despite being a big gaming market. I'm not really familiar with the gaming habits of the Middle-East or East/Central Euro countries. Pricing in S. America are prohibitively high, apparently.

I'd wager that if any of these were huge markets they would have been included in the initial release date.

Thanks!

No problem. I had the same experience as you, then I realized that I could get to it that way. Not sure if it was like that at release or if they added it in later, but it's nice.

This statement alone: "Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade."

...is probably the worst out of all of it. The correlation doesn't even make sense, and only leads one to believe the Xbox One is not good enough to be worth upgrading to on its own merit.

If you ask me, I'd say their hiring process is broken if people like this can make it through...

What do you guys expect him to say? That PS4 is doing better because it has better games, better performance & has been cheaper since launch?

Obviously he is not going to say that.

No, but any 6 year old who's watched Bambi could tell you that if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all.

The big reason is they didnt realize half the people were not ready to accept Kinect as part of the experience and system like the controller and instead assumed since its 100 dollars more "why should i pay 100 dollars for something i dont want".   Even if it launched at 399 it would of been why not sell it for 349.99 instead of charging me for kinect!