KDE ships version 5.2 of plasma next workspace

Do you have to download Kubuntu in order to try this? Because that distro won't even run on my computer now unlike regular Ubuntu.

this is weird. why wouldnt it run? any details?

i think all download sources are given in the link in my first posting, no need to use kubuntu afaik, you can also install it using another distro.

this is weird. why wouldnt it run? any details?

i think all download sources are given in the link in my first posting, no need to use kubuntu afaik, you can also install it using another distro.

Yeah I know, I've tried a lot of distro's and none had any problems running. Kubuntu with this new KDE would just get so far and then stop. I left it for like an hour thinking it was just doing something but it was frozen. The weird thing is that most of the times I booted off the DVD, it showed all kinds of text as it booted. One time I think it showed the Kubuntu logo as it booted and then it just stopped.

Yeah I know, I've tried a lot of distro's and none had any problems running. Kubuntu with this new KDE would just get so far and then stop. I left it for like an hour thinking it was just doing something but it was frozen. The weird thing is that most of the times I booted off the DVD, it showed all kinds of text as it booted. One time I think it showed the Kubuntu logo as it booted and then it just stopped.

hmm.. i am no fan of suggesting doing an md5 check but if you really get different moments of the system stopping, thats probably worth a try.

hmm.. i am no fan of suggesting doing an md5 check but if you really get different moments of the system stopping, thats probably worth a try.

Yeah I guess I could try that. The thing is I first tried with a bootable USB stick and it got stuck so I made a DVD thinking the USB stick was made right but it got stuck too.

a few updates on the system settings from the kde forums. its a concept afaik, but imho looking so good, i better start praying this makes it into the final release.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Those last screen shots really get me exiting about what an iOS 7 inspired OS X might look like. Compared to what KDE looks like now  it's a huge step forward. The current icons, toolbar buttons and window controls look really dated.

a few updates on the system settings from the kde forums. its a concept afaik, but imho looking so good, i better start praying this makes it into the final release.

That's a pretty spiffy concept, the system settings program is a relic.

Those images look great, the only thing that really stands out as needing improvement is the grey buttons and the weird 3D effect they've got going on.

Concept art looks a lot cleaner & refined compared to the pastel abominations posted originally.

As an Azure user though, I can't help but see a borrowing of UI concepts from Microsoft's cloud web portals.

on 23th may there was a new iso released

http://files.kde.org/snapshots/

the breeze theme is shaping up. i quite like the dark option, it still looks slick and usable, while i cant use the dark option of oxygen at all

PL8XNaG.jpg

ouM7DLV.jpg

other than that? not much new as far as i can see.

image snip

those actually look really nice. i've always thought KDE went overboard with the flashy-ness and that drove me away. i may actually give it a chance again if this becomes the theme

Yeah, KDE apps have always looked ugly to me and I'm not sure why, it's not the theme because changing it never helps.

I'm not sure if there's just too many controls, or not enough spacing between them, but they always look busy.

Downloaded the neon5-latest.iso burned the image to a DVD using ISOBurn, and fired up the live DVD. Not too shabby, but it still needs refinement. Smooth transition when moving across the desktop with fluid movements of the menus and sub-menus. The Live CD is slow which is expected. Basically it is Ubuntu 14.04 with KDE plasma next integrated into it. I am not really a KDE fan (I use XFCE currently), but I appreciate the work on this DM. Try it, if you have time... it is an interesting feel.

I've never been a fan of KDE (Always prefered Gnome) and going by that nothing has changed. I'm sure it has its merits and all but just not my cup of tea (still).

Well, I got Kubuntu to run live and install on a virtual machine. The only issue is that I can't use the full strength of my GPU for the desktop effects. It just gives you a basic driver with no OpenGL. I'm wondering why still it won't install on the computer itself.

Downloaded the neon5-latest.iso burned the image to a DVD using ISOBurn, and fired up the live DVD. Not too shabby, but it still needs refinement. Smooth transition when moving across the desktop with fluid movements of the menus and sub-menus. The Live CD is slow which is expected. Basically it is Ubuntu 14.04 with KDE plasma next integrated into it. I am not really a KDE fan (I use XFCE currently), but I appreciate the work on this DM. Try it, if you have time... it is an interesting feel.

Why didn't you try Kubuntu? It's Ubuntu with KDE integrated. Is neon supposed to be better?

klipper

vkP0i44.jpg

if my eyes serve me right and given the chance this mockup gets implemented, means klipper will get a search function!! :D

Why didn't you try Kubuntu? It's Ubuntu with KDE integrated. Is neon supposed to be better?

This iso is just the plasma integration demo. The DE wasn't the issue for me. I only wanted to try the new plasma workspace. As a matter of fact, there was no way to install this, if I remember correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

after many weeks of running kde5 (plasma next/project neon) next to kubuntu 14.04 with kde4  by the moment i can only say i am heavily impressed. updates are coming in on a daily base and its getting better and better and better. i am colsely in talks with the guys on kubuntu-devel and project-neon via irc and they help you out a lot. i even managed to report a bug, after 6 hours it was marked as solved and i got an update and indeed it was solved. TAKE THAT BALLMER!!!! :woot:

after i had BIG problems to run the desktop compositor on opengl 3.1 or even 2.0 (3.1 makes no problem for my graphics card on kde4) and was forced to chose xrendr thats not a problem now anymore, 3.1 runs stable. as you see on the screenshot the german language support is also already half-included

Jyh8tXv.png

looking at the interface, the iconset is deffo getting there and even for someone like me who usually loves more colorful iconsets, this has its advantages

0PeNVGg.png

so if anyone uses kubuntu 14.04 or any kde based distro and wants to get the latest kde5 easiest way is to add the following repos:

ppa:neon/kf5

then install all the project-neon pased packages. after that you can chose on your login screen if you want to run the normal kde4 or kde project neon. (project neon install WONT affect any of your current desktop).

and: project neon is FAAAAST. i was a big sceptic when i read they wanna beat xfce performance and memory wise, but even by now they are doing this (debugger still running).

yes, its that impressive!

sure, there are still a few glitches, but they are updating it daily, and bugfixing is impressive.

anyone a bit interested in linux should give it a try. its really worth it.

latest hint: if you like me had a running and very well working kde4 desktop and want to keep all the app settings also on kde5, there is a very easy way to do it:

(make all files and folders unhidden first!)

copy the .config folder from your home directory to /home/.project-neon5-kde

in that directory youll find a config folder (without ".") rename that one as a backup.

then rename the copied .config folder to config

--> by that step you have successfully applied all app settings from kde4 to project neon.

i have done this today because i think by now project neon is stable ennough to browse the web, do some chats, etc. and i didnt want to set up all apps again so i took all my settings over.

very easy and no problem at all.

what is still not working and confirmed by developpers is the akonadi services. kmail wont work atm. use thunderbird for example as a backup.

i hope you get a bit of an idea from the screenshots, the feeling of running this is even better.