comcast

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,650 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:25

If you’re a Comcast customer living in one of the many states where they’ve imposed no real limits on bandwidth usage for the last few years… enjoy it while it lasts.

During an investor call today (link via Ars), Comcast executive VP David Cohen said that he predicts bandwidth caps (or, as ISPs prefer to put it, “usage-based billing”) to be rolled out network-wide within the next 5 years or so.

The reason they haven’t done so already? They’re still working out exactly where they can cap things before they start getting phone calls — that is, before people start calling up to cancel. Meanwhile, making things more complicated tends to scare people away, so they don’t want to just offer up multiple plans/tiers — so before they make any changes, they need to find that plan that works for almost everyone

“I would also predict that the vast majority of our customers would never be caught in the buying the additional buckets of usage, that we will always want to say the basic level of usage at a sufficiently high level that the vast majority of our customers are not implicated by the usage-based billing plan.”

More....

http://techcrunch.co...within-5-years/

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,834 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:26

You're going the wrong way, Comcast.

#3 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

• 161 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:32

Thanks goodness we have three 1G fiber companies coming here.  I'll be glad to get rid of TWC/comcast.  Metered bandwidth is all about trying to get revenue back from losing TV subscribers.  It's wrong for them to charge such high prices for TV, cause people to want an alternative, then try to change the rules again because they do.  It's like the greed has no end.  Keep in mind most of these companies make tons of profit even with TV subscribers cancelling.

#4 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,418 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:35

I'm content with my comcast service for now, I'll bail in a heartbeat if they implement any caps, I already pay them a good amount for the service, and Netflix/Google Music, caps are a deal breaker in my house

#5 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,484 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:53

I can see a lot of customers leaving if they try that crap. 

It's just not how people use the internet any more.

#6 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,972 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:58

Ridiculous. One-third of Americans have no choice when it comes to broadband providers, meaning that they simply have no choice but to put up with it. This is why you need a strong and effective regulatory authority to prevent consumers from being abused.

#7 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,192 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:00

boycott, folks. boycott.

The Fed Govt is ruining competition in this country by allowing megacorporations to merge.

#8 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

• 3,124 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:00

I can see a lot of customers leaving if they try that crap. 

It's just not how people use the internet any more.

well if you believe most articles, most people use their mobile devices for their internet and computer usage is dying.  So by that logic they shouldn't be fazed by Comcast introducing an internet plan that's already similar to what they already use on their tablets and phones.  In my opinion, when Comcast had their caps of 250 gigs per month, a few years ago, that IMO was more than enough for 90% of their users.  I don't consider myself a heavy torrent user, but between that, Netflix, MMOs, online gaming, etc the most that I ever used in a month was like 225 gigs, and that was one month in particular, where I downloaded a lot.  Usually I never used more than 100 gigs.  I know I'm a more data heavy user than the average user, most of us likely are, so if they did implement a cap with that much usage per month, it would be fine for me personally.

That said I hope Google fiber comes to Atlanta within those five years.  Even if they eventually impose a data cap, at least we'll have competition in this market again that AT&T does NOT provide at all against Comcast.

#9 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,947 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:02

well if you believe most articles, most people use their mobile devices for their internet and computer usage is dying.  So by that logic they shouldn't be fazed by Comcast introducing an internet plan that's already similar to what they already use on their tablets and phones.  In my opinion, when Comcast had their caps of 250 gigs per month, a few years ago, that IMO was more than enough for 90% of their users.  I don't consider myself a heavy torrent user, but between that, Netflix, MMOs, online gaming, etc the most that I ever used in a month was like 225 gigs.    I know I'm a more data heavy user than the average user, most of us likely are, so if they did implement a cap with that much usage per month, it would be fine for me personally.

That said I hope Google fiber comes to Atlanta within those five years.  Even if they eventually impose a data cap, at least we'll have competition in this market again that AT&T does NOT provide at all against Comcast.

Yes and no. When people are home they use our internet connection on their phones. It's faster than mobile. 

But then we don't have comcast and it's looking like google fiber might be coming to our area in the next few years. Screw you comcast.

#10 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,192 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:03

well if you believe most articles, most people use their mobile devices for their internet and computer usage is dying.  So by that logic they shouldn't be fazed by Comcast introducing an internet plan that's already similar to what they already use on their tablets and phones.  In my opinion, when Comcast had their caps of 250 gigs per month, a few years ago, that IMO was more than enough for 90% of their users.  I don't consider myself a heavy torrent user, but between that, Netflix, MMOs, online gaming, etc the most that I ever used in a month was like 225 gigs, and that was one month in particular, where I downloaded a lot.  Usually I never used more than 100 gigs.  I know I'm a more data heavy user than the average user, most of us likely are, so if they did implement a cap with that much usage per month, it would be fine for me personally.

that's not the point. it's the principle of it.

#11 +Kyle

Kyle

Resident One Name Wonder

• 927 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:09

Comcast is the worst. Sadly I have to use them because they are a monopoly in my area.

#12 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

• 584 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:10

would this effect side companys like brighthouse?

#13 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,242 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:15

As a current TWC customer, this saddens me. My household is very bandwidth heavy, with four people who play online games, two of which also spend hours a day on Youtube, and they all also stream Netflix....throw in some Windows updates occasionally on 5 computers and it adds up quickly. Looking at my router, it's pretty common for us to go up to 250-300 GB/month.

Currently don't have any caps but we may be forced to go to the much smaller competition in this area given the TWC/Comcast merge.

#14 +Kyle

Kyle

Resident One Name Wonder

• 927 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:18

boycott, folks. boycott.

The Fed Govt is ruining competition in this country by allowing megacorporations to merge.

I don't think our government is prepared to take on megacorperations.

Boycotting is only effective if a majority of people participate; and sadly the people who understand the repercussions of these mergers are a minority.

#15 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,192 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 13:22

Currently don't have any caps but we may be forced to go to the much smaller competition in this area given the TWC/Comcast merge.

When this eventually sweeps Comcast they'll spout some rhetoric about how it's going to actually improve your service. How? they wont explain, but it's enough psychological babble to make people shrug their shoulders and deal w/ it. That's the problem. People put up w/ crap and get steamrolled all the time

Also, since i have TWC, our bill goes up every single year for absolutely no reason. I've looked into companies such as Wow!, and they were actually a few dollars more than TWC. That's a pretty sad business model if you ask me. I'll gladly switch, though, when TWC inevitably imposes some data cap or "pay for what you use" model.

Remember, these data caps are good for you!

I don't think our government is prepared to take on megacorperations.

Boycotting is only effective if a majority of people participate; and sadly the people who understand the repercussions of these mergers are a minority.

hey. gotta spread the boycotting 'seed' somehow, right? Americans do not do this enough. They just let companies run over them b/c "that's the way it is".

Our government is the one that allows these megacorporations to exist in the first place. Someone is saying "hmm, this company is absolutely gigantic and hurts competition and the free market, but, eh, i'll let it slide."