Sudan Woman Faces Death for Apostasy

You see Christians mocking the laws of Islam but heaven forbid if it's ever the other way around. Don't like their laws? Don't go there. Easy. I'm done.

Even the most fundamentalist Christians in the US haven't regressed as far as some of the fundamentalist Muslims. Whether it's this example or Boko Haram in Nigeria.

That being said, fundamentalists are a small but vocal minority in all major religions.

You see Christians mocking the laws of Islam but heaven forbid if it's ever the other way around. Don't like their laws? Don't go there. Easy. I'm done.

But their laws interfere with the lives of those who are born there. Did the woman decide to be born in a society where she will be sentenced to death if she does not follow her father's religion?

I can't stand when Christians force their worldview, and neither can I stand it when any other religious group does, including Muslims. I'm none of those, by the way, before you jump on me.

Also, there used to be religions that practiced human sacrifice; do you believe they would be acceptable in a modern society? And regardless, would you tolerate such a religion being practiced in certain areas of the globe, because it's "their culture, their rules?"

We shouldn't tolerate religious extremism. Plain and simple.

But their laws interfere with the lives of those who are born there. Did the woman decide to be born in a society where she will be sentenced to death if she does not follow her father's religion?

I can't stand when Christians force their worldview, and neither can I stand it when any other religious group does, including Muslims. I'm none of those, by the way, before you jump on me.

Also, there used to be religions that practiced human sacrifice; do you believe they would be acceptable in a modern society? And regardless, would you tolerate such a religion being practiced in certain areas of the globe, because it's "their culture, their rules?"

We shouldn't tolerate religious extremism. Plain and simple.

It's the law, it doesnt matter if I like it or not, thankfully I don't have to live there. I don't find that it's right but until they change that law the "woman" knew exactly what she was risking.

I dont find extreme religion to be right at any way. Nor sacrificing. But until its the law in Sudan they have to follow it. It's as good as saying I don't like a law here and just wont obey it. (With a difference that our laws are not regulated with religion)

But all-in-all I do agree with you and understand you.

• Like 2

Not really, the cultures where religious violence, exclusion, and isolation are on the decline are also societies where religious participation is in decline. If you look at America, the Christian establishment is actively pushing for bizarre things such as rape victims being forced to raise the children of their attackers. There are pushes for "Christian" marriages to return to a period prior to women's suffrage and the wife should endure whatever crap her husband subjects her too; including abuse.

Of course, you're attempting to paint Islam as somehow worse than its siblings (Christianity and Judaism)... I don't see this to be the case... Religion in and of itself is flawed and has wreaked havoc on humanity for a very long time. It is a tool used by few to oppress many. Islam isn't any worse or better than Christianity, or any other religion...

The discussion really should be about the end of religion in its entirety. Not about who is worse today vs yesterday.

Somewhat agree about all religions, although freeing this woman should be top priority for the sane and non religious right now. Ending religion entirely is a tough call, as much imo it's one of the worst and most ridiculous things in the world - you cannot deny people their beliefs or their rights to peacefully practice their own religions because if you do you are no better than the religions themselves.  

although freeing this woman should be top priority for the sane and non religious right now.

May I ask why do you think that its our place to interfere in their laws right now just because one person who didn't obey the local laws? (Even if the laws are regulated with Islamic religion)

Even the most fundamentalist Christians in the US haven't regressed as far as some of the fundamentalist Muslims. Whether it's this example or Boko Haram in Nigeria.

That being said, fundamentalists are a small but vocal minority in all major religions.

Hmmmm...

KKK, WBC, numerous cults who forces gIrls to marry old men and do as they say and have their children, numerous cults who have forced willing and unwilling/unknown mass suicides, cults who literally kidnap little girls and raise them as their own until they're old enough(biologically) to bear children and can be married off.

No of course not... There's some sick cults hiding in the land of America. Don't remember what the one with the giant church fortress they had built was, with their leader on FBIs most wanted list.

May I ask why do you think that its our place to interfere in their laws right now just because one person who didn't obey the local laws? (Even if the laws are regulated with Islamic religion)

By that logic every other civilized nation should fight and actively send in special troops to free every American death row prisoner. But it's not our business to interfere with American bar basics, so we don't.

This is a flaw inherent in Abrahamic religions at best and religion as a whole at worst...

I don't think we should be pointing fingers at Islam alone, but at religion in general. The debate we should be having is about the role of religion and its tendency to cause so much undo suffering around the world.

Stop apologising for them. This is 100% what Islam is.

I'm no Christian.

I didn't mean you Floating. I think we haven't even had a  discussion in this topic yet.

I didn't mean you Floating. I think we haven't even had a  discussion in this topic yet.

Sorry, I'm kinda generalising. Pointing out that it's actually not Christians as such that are taking the Sudan to task over this latest bit of barbarity.  Anyone should be free to judge the actions of another, even another's legal system, when it takes part in barbaric and immoral acts of "justice".

We might not be able to stop them, but we can be noisy about it.  If you stay silent about it, then you condone it.

• Like 3

This topic has gone way too long about arguing over religion while this has to do with Sudan's local laws. (Sure they are influenced by Islamic religion but still laws) How about give it a rest, she broke the law, now she'll pay the price, either you like it or not. I don't like it either by the way.

And Floating, sure we can all say what we think about it. I think I, myself, have been pretty vocal in this topic already. :laugh:

I don't think you can disconnect their religion from their laws, because their laws ARE their religion. That's what Sharia is all about, religious laws and this punishment in particular is specifically about the religion itself.

I have no problem with religion as long as it's a personal thing.  Once you try to use it to make your laws, that's when ridiculous stuff like this happens.

I don't think you can disconnect their religion from their laws, because their laws ARE their religion. That's what Sharia is all about, religious laws and this punishment in particular is specifically about the religion itself.

I have no problem with religion as long as it's a personal thing.  Once you try to use it to make your laws, that's when ridiculous stuff like this happens.

I understand and agree with you in every way. Sure it's weird and strange for us but it's been like that there for a loooooong loooooong time and who are we to judge it. While we don't agree with their "laws" they don't agree with ours as well. There's nothing we can do about it nor they can do about ours. Unless someone starts another crusade because of religion.

• Like 1

its the measure of the human not the faith they follow that drives these types of atrocities 

No. It is an extreme version of the faith they follow which drives the people in Sudan to atrocities like this.

hope this ends the stupid a** 'murica responses to all the messed up crap on the internet. But probably won't. Funny how that works.

No. It is an extreme version of the faith they follow which drives the people in Sudan to atrocities like this.

some faiths and ideologies are extreme by default. 

hope this ends the stupid a** 'murica responses to all the messed up crap on the internet. But probably won't. Funny how that works.

Why would it, why would the fact that there's a developing country that's worse than you, the so called pinnacle of freedom and civilization(in your own heads anyway) mean that the rest of the civilized world can't criticize American barbarism and uncivilized behavior ?

• Like 1