Photo

Outlook Indexing SUCKS!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 expphoto

expphoto

Neowinian

Posted 15 May 2014 - 18:55

Am I the only one who things Microsoft tried to copy Apple with journaling/indexing and failed miserably? 

I keep running into computers where outlook won't find all (or any) emails that the user searches for because it's still indexing. Here's the thing, indexing runs indefinitely and never completes. Or it will complete and the issue will reoccur where it doesn't find what they're looking for. 

The only potential solutions I've found are:

• Rebuild the Index
  • Repair Microsoft Office

Both work, temporarily. Eventually this issue comes back. Does anyone have a better solution? Maybe a 3rd party searching program?

#2 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 15 May 2014 - 18:57

What versions of Outlook and Windows are you seeing the issue on?

I can't recall this happening at least on any machines I've set up using 7 and 8, with Office 2010 and 2013.

#3 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 15 May 2014 - 19:03

Something isn't working for you because indexing on Outlook usually works fine. It shouldn't run indefinitely.

#4 plasmarox

plasmarox

Neowinian

Posted 15 May 2014 - 19:04

What kind of mailbox does the user have? If it's an exchange mailbox, rebuild the mailbox. This will make a big difference.

#5 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 May 2014 - 19:22

Likewise, if using Exchange is "cached Exchange mode" enabled on the client? As if not, the searches are being funneled up to the Exchange server.

#6 OP expphoto

expphoto

Neowinian

Posted 15 May 2014 - 19:38

All our users are on cached exchange mode. All computers running Win 7 Pro with Outlook 2010 on Exchange 2010. 

I've tried rebuilding mailboxes. it works temporarily then happens again.

#7 night_stalker_z

night_stalker_z

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 May 2014 - 19:42

Have you tried the steps here: http://office.micros...A010198085.aspx ?

#8 OP expphoto

expphoto

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 22:19

Have you tried the steps here: http://office.micros...A010198085.aspx ?

Yep. No go.

#9 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 22:36

Am I the only one who things Microsoft tried to copy Apple with journaling/indexing and failed miserably? 

I keep running into computers where outlook won't find all (or any) emails that the user searches for because it's still indexing. Here's the thing, indexing runs indefinitely and never completes. Or it will complete and the issue will reoccur where it doesn't find what they're looking for. 

The only potential solutions I've found are:

• Rebuild the Index
  • Repair Microsoft Office

Both work, temporarily. Eventually this issue comes back. Does anyone have a better solution? Maybe a 3rd party searching program?

Try a new user profile that's not copied or migrated.

edit.  unfortunately i've found its actually quicker to recreate the user than fix it.  i can't remember the exact steps but you have to point the index to a new location, fully delete the old one and point it back.

#10 OP expphoto

expphoto

Neowinian

Posted 21 May 2014 - 22:56

Try a new user profile that's not copied or migrated.

edit.  unfortunately i've found its actually quicker to recreate the user than fix it.  i can't remember the exact steps but you have to point the index to a new location, fully delete the old one and point it back.

Are you talking outlook user profile or windows user profile?

One of the computers this started happening on was a fresh image, only things copied were documents, nothing to do with outlook. I don't forsee this fixing it. As for the outlook profile. Tried that. :(

#11 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 21 May 2014 - 22:59

Somethings gotta be wrong with your setup.  I have Outlook 2010 and it indexes all my email on my work's exchange server and this massive archive file that has emails back from 2002/2003ish.  When I search it is pretty snappy and I think pretty accurate too.  Generally find what I'm looking for.

#12 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

Posted 22 May 2014 - 00:10

Are you talking outlook user profile or windows user profile?

One of the computers this started happening on was a fresh image, only things copied were documents, nothing to do with outlook. I don't forsee this fixing it. As for the outlook profile. Tried that. :(

Well try going into index, uncheck outlook and hit ok, reboot, go back in and recheck.  rebooot, then rebuild.  its worth a shot but generally does not fix it.