Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Anti-World Cup protests across Brazil

Latest showing of sour national mood towards tournament in country racked by strikes, crime and anger at wealth disparities

Anti-World Cup protests in 12 cities have marked the worst day in another awful week for Brazil as the government struggles with strikes, crime and public unease less than a month before the tournament kicks off.

Co-ordinated demonstrations in Rio de Janeiro, S

Posted

Not good :/ And we need a World Cup mega poll :p

Posted

Not good :/ And we need a World Cup mega poll :p

I'll create a World Cup poll. I'm also thinking of creating a thread for each World Cup match, similar to what Argote and I did in 2010.

Germany is going to win the World Cup anyway.

Posted

tl;dr. Why are they protesting?

Posted

tl;dr. Why are they protesting?

Corruption, crimes, poverty, world cup benefits that are vain promises that will help Coca-Cola & McD .

The brazilian people have realized that 'Panem & Circenses' is not really a good idea: ask the Greek or any other country who are stuck with useless 90000+ decaying stadiums

Posted

I'll create a World Cup poll. I'm also thinking of creating a thread for each World Cup match, similar to what Argote and I did in 2010.

Germany is going to win the World Cup anyway.

(Y) yep and that's also a good idea with a multipoll for the score etc 

Match 1, Match 2 etc.

Posted

Yes, there had been mistakes in building some arenas, like the Amazonia and Pantanal, even the Baixada.

stadium_grid4.jpg

There is no soccer tradition in these regions. Theirs soccer teams are a bunch of few.

They are multi-porpose arenas but seems to be convicted to oblivion.

Corruption, well, maybe. Who can say with 100% sure that was not. But at this time no evidences appears. And belive me, if there was only a thin suspicion the corporate oposition media would be already blamed the federal power.

Poverty, well, if you dont know, in the last 10 years more than 30 million peoples (Total population: 200 million) left the extreme poverty and not only that, they became what we call media class. Not a single person in Brazil is starving at this moment. The unemployment rate (5%) is the lowest in the country history, against 10% in France, 6,8% in UK, 6,7% in Germany, 12,7% in Italy, 26% in Spain, all of them following the liberal agenda.

Vain promisses... since 2010 the federal government agencys put R$ 17,6 billion (US $ 7,8 billion) in this World Cup. For the arenas and the surroundings areas, airports, mobility, security, telecommunications. In the same period, R$ 968 bil (US$ 430 bil) was put in education and health. We can make 54 world cups with that money.

The 2013 streets protests were massive. They were initially protesting against the public transportation tax increase  (not a federal accountability) and quickly became incorporated by many claims that have nothing to do with the world tournament. The taxes raises were reverted and we have now in the streets a few rightful movements and a lot - and I mean a lot - of riots with political agenda.

There will be presidential elections later this year.

And, as we say, "Its the election, imbecile, not the World Cup."

And by the way, did you guys  saw this http://motherboard.vice.com/read/exclusive-how-an-fbi-informant-helped-anonymous-hack-brazil How FBI Informant Sabu Helped Anonymous Hack Brazil

Posted

Brazil is just following the blueprint that Portugal created for Euro 2004: massive white elephant stadiums that are a toxic burden that we cannot get rid off, with a healthy sprinkling of corruption.

Posted

Just wait until the Olympics come. You think the World Cup is a white elephant...

Posted

FIFA are worse than the mafia...

They should all jail them up..

Posted

The meeting between the German team and the Patax