LG 34UM95-P Ultra wide monitor review

Rather than repost a wall of text here I thought you guys might like to hear about my experience with LG's warranty support regarding my 34UM95 which developed backlight bleed 2 weeks after purchase.

I've posted about it on Reddit here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/28vyaw/so_i_was_really_pleased_with_my_lg_34_ultrawide/

Replied but will reply here too:

Wow this sucks. My problem is a little different (and not solved yet) I bought a 40" Samsung Smart TV that is supposedly an older model (UE40EH5300W) and at a decent price of just ?359 but it has backlight flickering and color bleeding after being on for more than an hour. Although I bought it just 11 days ago and received it a couple of days later I can't really return it because I bought their last one and they don't plan on restocking. Plus I don't want a refund, I want this TV, not another (because it's also a Smart TV, for that money! :D).

So now I am busy with Samsung who have confirmed the issue with Remote Assistance, and will send out a guy to either repair or replace. Not a warranty issue here, although they did remind me of my consumer rights to the retailer, they are still going ahead with the warranty process.

Hope it gets sorted for you man.

As an example of the problem, yesterday I watched Colombia v Uruguay and I could only stomach the first half before it became unwatchable (due to the TV, not the performance of the game) :P

Luckily I have a 32" LED in my bedroom (which is also Samsung) so I just watched the second half on that lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anybody who has one of these say if you've tried to connect from DisplayPort (normal or mini) on the PC to one of the Thunderbolt ports? I'm looking at getting one of these when they eventually become available again, but need to run 2 computers, and want to avoid the 50Hz limitation of HDMI.

All of the research I've done on this has been inconclusive as to whether it should work. There are many discussions about trying to connect an Apple Thunderbolt display to both Macs and PCs, with many examples saying it wast tested and found not to work. However, there is also information saying that you can't daisy chain an Apple Cinema (Displayport) display directly to their Thunderbolt display, whereas the reported workaround is to put another Thunderbolt device (eg. storage device) in between. So I don't think relying on results of connecting Apple products is a good test of Thunderbolt <-> Displayport connectivity.

I did find one discussion where somebody states they have successfully connected an Apple Thunderbolt display to a Displayport KVM.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/25791827?ac_cid=tw123456#25791827

That would seem to indicate that it's possible to connect a Thunderbolt display (eg. the Thunderbolt ports on these LG displays) to a Displayport output (eg. a PC). But it's the only example I can find so I don't have confidence in it.

Hence my opening question. I'd like to confirm if somebody who has actually tried it with this monitor, and if so, what were the results?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the review! I've ordered this 5th Aug and still waiting for it. I was torn between getting this or going for eyefinity as I will be using this monitor for both games and Uni. Currently doing a Town Planning degree so usually I'll have a few maps open as well as Word to write up the report/findings so fingers crossed this makes my life a little more easy.

Coming from a 30" 16:10 1600p monitor so I'll see how it goes. And here is a review by Linus:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have quite the same configuration as you : LG 29EA93 (29" IPS, almost exactly the same...) on a Ergotron MX with a i1 Display Pro.

My issue is that I fail to do the hardware calibration (which is said to be working on my screen).

My i1Pro is working since it is usable wiith the XRite software.

When I launch the "True Color Finder 2.6.2" software, I have  2 dropdown lists, one to select the peripherical, and the i1Display Pro is selected (so it is recognised), and one for the monitor, and the 29EA93 is recognised too.

But when I click the "calibration" button, the software says it cannot communicate with the calibration tool.

Is there a specific driver to install? I installed the one given with the Xrite software, but since True Color Finder asked me to uninstall the Xrite Software, I don't know... Where did you find your driver ? Are you using the same version of True Color Finder ?

Is there a specific param to enable on the screen options? 

Dos it work with only one type of connection (I'm using display port)? Would be quite strange since it's supposed to be "built in" calibration.

Thanks if you can help me !

Pitouli

Hi, I have quite the same configuration as you : LG 29EA93 (29" IPS, almost exactly the same...) on a Ergotron MX with a i1 Display Pro.

My issue is that I fail to do the hardware calibration (which is said to be working on my screen).

My i1Pro is working since it is usable wiith the XRite software.

When I launch the "True Color Finder 2.6.2" software, I have  2 dropdown lists, one to select the peripherical, and the i1Display Pro is selected (so it is recognised), and one for the monitor, and the 29EA93 is recognised too.

But when I click the "calibration" button, the software says it cannot communicate with the calibration tool.

Is there a specific driver to install? I installed the one given with the Xrite software, but since True Color Finder asked me to uninstall the Xrite Software, I don't know... Where did you find your driver ? Are you using the same version of True Color Finder ?

Is there a specific param to enable on the screen options? 

Dos it work with only one type of connection (I'm using display port)? Would be quite strange since it's supposed to be "built in" calibration.

Thanks if you can help me !

Pitouli

I don't know if the combination of your EA93 and colormeter is supported. I had the 29EB93 and that combination worked just fine though. I reckon it's incompatibility with the software+probe+LUT on the EA93 most likely.

Worth noting that you should not have any Xrite software installed. The LG software contains all the drivers needed and anything else installed will conflict.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I've got a discussion with a German retailer. I've been sent a rev. 0.1 model which has DP 1.2 flickering and clicking noises. 

I uploaded proof on youtube:
You can see the screen flickering on 1:53 and 2:46. My iPhone didn't picked up the sound but it is actually loud. 

On this video the screen randomly blanks out and turns on again

I've reported this after the first day of arrival. His respons tot his was:

Hello,

in this case, please send back the defective device to our servicestation in Germany.

Please send it to:

Paketfabrik
Gartenstr. 2-12

14482 Potsdam

Please add a copy of the invoice and note the kind of error on its back.
We will refund the money.  We can not guarantee, that we will receive the rev. 0.2. for exchange.

Kind regards!

Frank Leube
electronis.de team

Your Personal Electronic-Store

WICHTIG: Bitte lassen Sie IMMER den KOMPLETTEN MAILVERKEHR in Ihren Antworten
stehen, da wir die Email im Team bearbeiten.

UNVOLLST?NDIGE MAIL K?NNEN WIR LEIDER NICHT BEARBEITEN!

-------------------------------------------------------

I responded:

Hi Frank/Electronis,

If i sent this back, do I have to pay for the shipping costs? 
Frankly, I don't want my money back. I just want to have a good LG 34M95-P.

Let me know how to return this Dead on Arrival product without the costs for sending it back. 

Kind regards,

His reaction:

the law states that as of 6/13/14 Online clients themselves are responsible for return shipping. 

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Mit freundlichen Gr??en

Lutz Fadtke
*Customer Support*

electronis.de team

That is completely ######? Ain't it? A product received Dead On Arrival on should be returned cost-free, right? 
Why should the customer pay for returning a defect product? 

Hi Guys,

I've got a discussion with a German retailer. I've been sent a rev. 0.1 model which has DP 1.2 flickering and clicking noises. 

I uploaded proof on youtube:
You can see the screen flickering on 1:53 and 2:46. My iPhone didn't picked up the sound but it is actually loud. 

On this video the screen randomly blanks out and turns on again

I've reported this after the first day of arrival. His respons tot his was:

Hello,

in this case, please send back the defective device to our servicestation in Germany.

Please send it to:

Paketfabrik
Gartenstr. 2-12

14482 Potsdam

Please add a copy of the invoice and note the kind of error on its back.
We will refund the money.  We can not guarantee, that we will receive the rev. 0.2. for exchange.

Kind regards!

Frank Leube

electronis.de team

WICHTIG: Bitte lassen Sie IMMER den KOMPLETTEN MAILVERKEHR in Ihren Antworten

stehen, da wir die Email im Team bearbeiten.

UNVOLLST?NDIGE MAIL K?NNEN WIR LEIDER NICHT BEARBEITEN!

-------------------------------------------------------

I responded:

Hi Frank/Electronis,

If i sent this back, do I have to pay for the shipping costs? 
Frankly, I don't want my money back. I just want to have a good LG 34M95-P.

Let me know how to return this Dead on Arrival product without the costs for sending it back. 

Kind regards,

His reaction:

the law states that as of 6/13/14 Online clients themselves are responsible for return shipping. 

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Mit freundlichen Gr??en

Lutz Fadtke

*Customer Support*

electronis.de team

That is completely ######? Ain't it? A product received Dead On Arrival on should be returned cost-free, right? 
Why should the customer pay for returning a defect product? 

Actually as a consumer it is your job to check the laws/return policies of the place you buy from to ensure you're happy with the conditions of purchasing. By completing the purchase you agreed to abide by any laws/policies laid out before you and thus shall damn well follow them.

If you want to get it to them for free, strap it to your back and enjoy a nice long walk ;)

Absolutely beautiful!  Awesome review.  Love your station settop.  Display is very crisp.  I've never really trust LG product but looks like they are making strides.

Can you tell me how you achieve this?

SLx9wCJ.jpg

W0kAhL4.jpg

I am refering to the dependant split screen output on the right.  I mean it's in its own window.  Normally these apps you can't output to a separate window, are they?  I am asking cos I want to do some 3D design with the work window and the output window onto a different monitor.  I have two monitors.  I would like the final render output window in a separate monitor.  This set up looks like it's possible after all.

After I post, I notice you later complain about the monitor.  So I guess I was right that LG isn't really a reliable enough product.. But the review is still great.  You must have one great camera for the picture to look so good.

EDITTED:  Looks like I can't edit the above post.

The split screen mode is available but I don't use it, I just scale each window how I want as I prefer it that way and I work better with it :p

Yeah the complaint was with LG's support which is pretty bad but LG Germany did me right by sending a free monitor in the end which is great and I've recently received teh curved model too which is due a quick comparison review on Petapixel. That will be published this week I believe. It was destined for Neowin but it seems LG's marketing arm are interested in getting it on Petapixel as that's where the original review was published.

The split screen mode is available but I don't use it, I just scale each window how I want as I prefer it that way and I work better with it :p

Yeah the complaint was with LG's support which is pretty bad but LG Germany did me right by sending a free monitor in the end which is great and I've recently received teh curved model too which is due a quick comparison review on Petapixel. That will be published this week I believe. It was destined for Neowin but it seems LG's marketing arm are interested in getting it on Petapixel as that's where the original review was published.

i wish  i had the  money for a monitor like that  cause ide  switch  to it  over my 39"  1080P  Magnavox  LED  TV  for my computer screen   .  what is the  screen resolution of the curved display over the one you currently have do you know

i wish  i had the  money for a monitor like that  cause ide  switch  to it  over my 39"  1080P  Magnavox  LED  TV  for my computer screen   .  what is the  screen resolution of the curved display over the one you currently have do you know

Same resolution (3440x1440) :) Almost everything is the same in fact, just the curved doesn't have the hardware LUT for colour calibration.

• 4 months later...

I have the same monitor as you now. In device manager it says generic as ther driver.. is that normal? Also whenever the pc wakes up from sleep all of the windows are resize and located to the left of the screen..

• 7 months later...