Photo

Do i have to have Water Cooling if i am going to Overclock?

water cooling

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Pigdon

Lee Pigdon

Neowinian

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:41

As the title reads really. I have no exerience in Water Cooling at all. I am also sceptical regarding fitting one in to my Corsair 400r case as some people have said the 240mm Radiator mount at the top of this case can obstruct the power port for the CPU when its top left of your Mobo (like my mobo). Can anyone help me out with my concerns.

Thanks.

#2 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:44

Do you need it? No. It can be a help depending on how much you want to overclock. At some point you reach a ceiling heat wise. At that point water becomes an option... Or liquid nitrogen.

#3 Kelxin

Kelxin

Neowinian

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:45

You don't "have" to wear saftey glasses when you weld, you don't have to wear a cup when you play football, you honestly don't have to do anything.  Is it safer?  yes.   Is heat bad for a processor?  Definitely, the hotter the chip gets and stays, the more likely that the silicon is going to break down faster.  Is watercooling better than every other cooling solution?  yep, thats why people do it.

#4 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:47

Water Cooling is not a necessity, but for a high overclock, it is recommended.

Get a closed circuit water cooling system, like Corsair H80, H100, etc. It's so easy to set up, and it cools my i5 3570, overclocked to 4.1Ghz, I get 50c on load. So, it's nice to have, but not a requirement.

With a Corsair H80, you can mount it to the back fan of your case.

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:50

No, air can cool as well as water unless you're going extreme with custom water cooling setup.

You need water cooling if you want to play on the computer without wearing a closed headset.

#6 OP Lee Pigdon

Lee Pigdon

Neowinian

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:54

Water Cooling is not a necessity, but for a high overclock, it is recommended.

Get a closed circuit water cooling system, like Corsair H80, H100, etc. It's so easy to set up, and it cools my i5 3570, overclocked to 4.1Ghz, I get 50c on load. So, it's nice to have, but not a requirement.

With a Corsair H80, you can mount it to the back fan of your case.

You mean replacing my rear exhaust fan? In which case (no pun intended) i would have to fit an exhaust fan elsewhere?

No, air can cool as well as water unless you're going extreme with custom water cooling setup.

You need water cooling if you want to play on the computer without wearing a closed headset.

Due to noise?

#7 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:56

Water cooling isn't exactly quiet. You still need fans to cool the reservoir.

You mean replacing my rear exhaust fan? In which case (no pun intended) i would have to fit an exhaust fan elsewhere?

Air can still travel through the back, just that there's this big thing on the back.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:58

Yeah, big slow fans working on far more efficient radiators(btw you cool the radiators, not the reservoir ;)) and equally efficient air cooling solution is far more noisy, especially when you go up the the triple fan corsairs or the ones with external radiator towers.

Due to noise?

Yes, water cooling is primarily for making silent computers. At least today, with very efficient air coolers, but again, noisy.

#9 OP Lee Pigdon

Lee Pigdon

Neowinian

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:03

Air can still travel through the back, just that there's this big thing on the back.

Ill take a look at the possibilty of the H80 and possibly use the top fan mounts for X2 120mm Red LED fans.

#10 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:04

Yeah, big slow fans working on far more efficient radiators(btw you cool the radiators, not the reservoir ;)) and equally efficient air cooling solution is far more noisy, especially when you go up the the triple fan corsairs or the ones with external radiator towers.

Radiators, that's what I was thinking of.

But my H80i is about quiet as my XIGMATEK Black Knight. But both fans, I had them underpowered.

#11 OP Lee Pigdon

Lee Pigdon

Neowinian

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:08

Radiators, that's what I was thinking of.

But my H80i is about quiet as my XIGMATEK Black Knight. But both fans, I had them underpowered.

Does that H80i use the new Link technology?

#12 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:13

The i series all do, I believe. I have a H80 and it's not PWM; I have to press a button on the CPU block to change the pump & fan speed. I could buy a controller, but it's ~ £80 which is the cost of a new i series module. I ended up getting a refurb H80 for < £40 from Scan, as I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. After about a week I went back to a HSF.

Regards the original question; it's more a matter of noise. I have a Dark Rock Pro 2 on my i7 2770k which is OC'd to 4.6Ghz. I prefer that to the H80, as the H80 is louder when set to achieve the same temperature delta as the DRP2. There's also less risk involved with a HSF, due to the lack of fluid which COULD (but likely won't) leak.

And a pump, which can get quite noisy.

#13 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:14

The i series, yes.

#14 OP Lee Pigdon

Lee Pigdon

Neowinian

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:16

The i series all do, I believe. I have a H80 and it's not PWM; I have to press a button on the CPU block to change the pump & fan speed.

Regards the original question; it's more a matter of noise. I have a Dark Rock Pro 2 on my i7 2770k which is OC'd to 4.6Ghz. I prefer that to the H80, as the H80 is louder when set to achieve the same temperature delta as the DRP2. There's also less risk involved with a HSF, due to the lack of fluid which COULD (but likely won't) leak.

And a pump, which can get quite noisy.

I would be lieing if i said i was not worried about leakages.

Mixed reviews here has given me lots to think about.

#15 spikey_richie

spikey_richie

XXXIII

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:17

Another thing to mention is that a HSF will also cool the chips on the motherboard around the base of block. A water block won't do this, and if you're OC'ing you want to keep those chips and caps cool.

I would be lieing if i said i was not worried about leakages.

Mixed reviews here has given me lots to think about.

Be Quiet have just released the Dark Rock Pro 3. Worth looking at some benchmarks vs a water block.

http://hexus.net/tec...ark-rock-pro-3/