First as a reference here are two threads on the official Apple Community forums with people who have pretty much the same issue I am having.
In my own words...
It used to be when I did an smb mount of my Windows 8 computer from my Macbook Pro I could mount any sized folder in seconds. Now it takes upwards of 10-15 minutes for folders on my Windows 8 computer to finally resolve themselves in the OS X Finder.
Once they do mount, copying over files is as fast as they should be. My Gigabit network performs as normal once it resolves.
It is just the initial connection and mount now takes way, way longer than it should.
FYI, it is the same experience whether I am using my WiFi or Hardwired connection.
I just spent the last hour trying a multitude of different solutions found in the linked threads at the Apple Support Community to no avail.
This seems to have been an issue with the introduction of OS X Mavericks. Really has been an issue with 10.9.2. I did update to 10.9.3 hoping it would fix things, but slow as ever.
Anyone experience a similar issue and even more important anyone know of a solution?
I can verify
- I also have a Synology Disk Station, but I do not even have Cloud Station installed, which was one fix a few other people reported working (disabling it). The other thing is my Disk Station mounts super quick as it normally would, so no issues there.
- I also have disabled Real Time protection on my AV Solution just to see. Nothing.
- Tried a whole myriad of Terminal commands in the threads above.
- Also did a Repair Boot and did a Verify / Repair Disk from the Disk utility. Nothing.
- The only thing I did not try that was suggested was to delete my Library's cache completely as I know that can cause some funkiness once I do it, but I am willing to go ahead and do it if that is recommended.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I am thinking there has to be plenty of people here who regularly mount Windows 8 folders in OS X.
It is super annoying at this point, especially since it worked smooth as can be just a few weeks back.