Photo

Now that the Kinect has been 'unbundled', you are...

xbox one kinect microsoft

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Xbox One purchasing decision after 'unbundling' announcement

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:44

Pretty simple poll. A lot of people said they were going to wait until the Kinect was unbundled before purchasing a One. Well, that time has come so how do you feel now?

Personally, it has greatly increased my interest in a One. I was reasonably confident that the Kinect would get the flick and the price would come down. I'll wait until I find a good bundle or deal and, finances permitting, buy one.

Your turn.

#2 Stokkolm

Stokkolm

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 1520

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:01

I voted not influenced because I already planned to get one bundled with the Kinect and I will still get it that way.

#3 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:03

I voted not influenced

(I won't go into detail)

#4 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:11

Not influenced.

Would rather not have an Xbox one at all. So Kinect or not, makes no difference to me.

#5 Polonium

Polonium

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:24

I'm not willing to spend the same amount of money as a ps4 when the One has the issues it has.

When this drops to £200 I'll consider it but it needs more than halo and gears as exclusives.

#6 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:28

Not influenced - still plan to get one with Kinect when I can

#7 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:42

Not influenced as i already own an Xbox One, however given I have no room to actually make use of any games that require the Kinect i think its a great thing in general.

The console will be cheaper, plus those people who want a Kinect for the voice commands, TV stuff, Skype and random games can still purchase one.

#8 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:23

Not influenced because i am not even considering of getting one

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:17

Not influenced as i already own an Xbox One, however given I have no room to actually make use of any games that require the Kinect i think its a great thing in general.

The console will be cheaper, plus those people who want a Kinect for the voice commands, TV stuff, Skype and random games can still purchase one.

^ what he said :yes:

#10 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:19

No change, still getting one either when my economy comes around and/or it's release here.

#11 Roberticus

Roberticus

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:42

No change, current game library does not fulfill my needs.

#12 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:43

No change. Wasn't getting one before or after.

#13 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:44

Not influenced, i don't plan on getting one

#14 tuckeratlarge

tuckeratlarge

You can't polish a turd

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:50

Although I voted more likely, I have no plans on getting either a Xbox One or PS4. They are way too low spec to be considered 'next gen' consoles over and above the 360/PS3 and therfore too expensive for what you get.

To be honest we don't play on our 360 anymore. Its sat gathering dust. We no longer use it for a media player as the telly does a better job - HD mkv anyone?

#15 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 May 2014 - 15:08

Not influenced - when I DO get an XB1, it WILL include Kinect (due to functionality it brings to the console outside of gaming).

Apparently, for the majority of critics, their criticism had two motives - bring pricing parity with PS4, and also make PS4 look better (due to design differences between the two core consoles).

Despite the "core" price imbalance, the two consoles weren't really identical even in terms of block diagrams, were they?  Because XB1 included Kinect, while PS4 did not (and does not) include Move, any comparison of the two was mostly apples vs. grapefruit - and horked quite a few "comparison shoppers" - not to mention analysts - off.  How do you compare dis-similar consoles?  The answer to that is quite simple - you don't!  However, folks insisted - despite the impracticality - and analysts threw in their two cents as well.  How can we compare dis-similar (in terms of features) hardware and make our forecasts?

Yes, comparisons were easier when we had PS3 Slim and XB360 Core - however, the job of Microsoft and Sony is NOT to make comparison shopping strictly a matter of price.  The deciding factor is supposed to be about VALUE - not necessarily price.

PS3 (the original) brought BD playback (which XB360 lacked) and greater usage outside of gaming.  Microsoft's response?  Swap DVD-9 with BD in XB1, and include full-capability A/V and motion-sensing via Kinect - for less than PS Move.  As was noted, back in the XB360/PS3 era, Kinect even then cost less than PS Move.  (Why didn't Sony include PS Move with PS4?  That's easy enough to explain - they could not match Kinect on a cost basis - therefore, Move remains a high-priced (and slow-selling) option.)

Doubtless a low-weighting factor was the death of the old XB360 Core SKU AND the $99 XB360 deal - especially during a bad economy.  However, how much REAL difference has that made in terms of attach rates - for either PS4 or XB1?

tuckeratlarge - How are you getting those HD MKVs to the TV - streaming?  XB360 (or XB1, or PS3/PS4) can do that - so that means you are streaming from the PC instead.  (When I pull the trigger, that will be a major non-gaming use FOR the XB1 - streaming throughout the house - to everything; two HDTVs with wi-fi, two desktops, a tablet, and all other hardware that may be on the home LAN at a given point in time.)  That frees the desktop - mine - up for other tasks.  You are basically justifying making the "cheap choice" during a bad economy.  Fine - I have no issue with putting off purchases due to the bad economy - but please, don't blow smoke up my posterior.