Now that the Kinect has been 'unbundled', you are...

Xbox One purchasing decision after 'unbundling' announcement  

110 members have voted

1. 1. ...

• ...more likely to purchase an Xbox One
    • ...less likely to purchase an Xbox One
    • ...going to purchase both separately
    • ...not influenced in anyway

Just a quick comment about the premise of this poll. I suspect that most people that listed the kinect being something that kept them from buying an X1 will not really be moved by the change. Combine the fact that now they can say the ps4 is more powerful at the same price and they will ignore (or just don't like) the exclusives that are already known for the X1 (I'm not talking about Gears or Halo, but the new IP like Sunset Overdrive), the X1 basically got no more appealing then it was before. Heck even people here are saying that all that has changed is that they will consider getting one, not that they are getting one.

The price drop talk will continue, but now it will be for MS to drop to say $299 without Kinect.

As GotBored mentioned, this move will probably result in a small sales spike, but nothing big. Anyone that actually likes X1 games will be getting one anyway. It still comes down to the games. Price matters, yes, Kinect being bundled or not matters, sure, but both of those are trumped by the games. If there are fun exclusives, people will buy the console at some point.

I'm not even sure Move had many party games, so the requirement to have more than 1 set of controllers may not come into it. I don't think the navi controller was even utilized that much either.

Move did have party games.

Already have my X1 and loving her more than ever. Time to de-gunk that big USB 3.0 port on the side :drool:

I already have one but if I didn't have one I would have opted for the $450 Forza + Kinect bundle, it's a much better value and you can still sometimes find the bundle for $450 at some retailers but that's getting harder.

The $400 standalone price isn't a very good one. It should be $350 standalone or include a game at $400. But maybe that was just the point. To have a cheaper SKU for people buying it from someone ELSE. As it is now the $500 bundle gives you the game and the Kinect. While I have little love for Kinect that bundle just makes more sense at the current price point. It's like paying $60 for a Kinect (the bundled game options are available for cheaper now than $60 now).

I already have one but if I didn't have one I would have opted for the $450 Forza + Kinect bundle, it's a much better value and you can still sometimes find the bundle for $450 at some retailers but that's getting harder.

The $400 standalone price isn't a very good one. It should be $350 standalone or include a game at $400. But maybe that was just the point. To have a cheaper SKU for people buying it from someone ELSE. As it is now the $500 bundle gives you the game and the Kinect. While I have little love for Kinect that bundle just makes more sense at the current price point. It's like paying $60 for a Kinect (the bundled game options are available for cheaper now than $60 now).

Sadly, $400 is a reasonable price for a device like an X1 or a PS4 right now. When Samsung can get away with selling a 64GB tablet for $750 then it's hard to make a case for a $300 multimedia games console. Think of your X1/PS4 and think of a PS2...the latter was $300 bare if you remember back in 2000.

More likely but not a whole lot more likely. 

I'd only buy one this year if a personally intriguing and nicely priced holiday bundle comes around. Or maybe next year's holiday... No hurry.

Sadly, $400 is a reasonable price for a device like an X1 or a PS4 right now. When Samsung can get away with selling a 64GB tablet for $750 then it's hard to make a case for a $300 multimedia games console. Think of your X1/PS4 and think of a PS2...the latter was $300 bare if you remember back in 2000.

And nothing in the XB1 console is cutting edge technology like the DVD player in the PS2 was. $400 is a hard price to justify for the XB1 when the ps4 with 30% faster hardware (and a more compact case without an annoying power brick). It's not that it's a terrible price, it's just that the PS4 offers more for the same amount and the previous $450 Kinect + game bundles were MUCH better values than this $400 bare bundle.

It probably would have been better if they cut the MSRP of the bundle to $450 and actually advertised it instead of doing that ridiculous add to cart to see the $50 off crap. It's a much better value than this standalone system. I DO like the Kinect unbundling, but the value should have been better, either at $350 or include a game at $400.

And nothing in the XB1 console is cutting edge technology like the DVD player in the PS2 was. $400 is a hard price to justify for the XB1 when the ps4 with 30% faster hardware (and a more compact case without an annoying power brick). It's not that it's a terrible price, it's just that the PS4 offers more for the same amount and the previous $450 Kinect + game bundles were MUCH better values than this $400 bare bundle.

It probably would have been better if they cut the MSRP of the bundle to $450 and actually advertised it instead of doing that ridiculous add to cart to see the $50 off crap. It's a much better value than this standalone system. I DO like the Kinect unbundling, but the value should have been better, either at $350 or include a game at $400.

I think you're just prejudiced against the X1, have to say. DVDs were not cutting edge in 2000, i had one in my PC early 1999. But let's not turn this into a PS2 vs. X1 debate...my point is that i think $400 is a fair price and for $100 the X1 offers a lot more than $300 consoles offered in 2000/2001.

Not influenced, don't plan on getting a game console.

• Like 1

Just a quick comment about the premise of this poll. I suspect that most people that listed the kinect being something that kept them from buying an X1 will not really be moved by the change. 

The price is coming down because of the unbundling. People didn't want Kinect and didn't want to pay for it, now they don't have to.

It'll be my second Xbox One, after the One in my living room and I'll be buying the console and Kinect separately.

I have no direct need for the Kinect for my second console as it will be a LAN party box and essentially only be on in those circumstances, but I will rebuy the Kinect for it, if the must have games start showing or I decide to use it in the bedroom when more of the TV service apps start to launch around here.

Not influenced by consoles. Havent owned one since the original Playstation. Find them waste of time and money.

Not influenced.  There is nothing about the new consoles that I find are worth the money that either Microsoft or Sony is charging for them.

Interesting to me that this big push to unbundle the console and Kinect is resulting in a fairly mediocre change in consumer opinion. At least here on Neowin it is. I figured this would be the case since really most people's decision to buy the console wouldn't be based on the Kinect but the games it provided.

BTW, I was already kinda okay with buying it bundled... so really my decision to buy it was not really influenced by the Kinect either.

Does it make all the people who aren't interested in buying consoles at all feel better to go into this thread and proclaim their disinterest in buying them? Or is this a result of the free shirt offer when you reach 25k ...

• Like 2

Not influenced. There simply aren't any games that have piqued my interest yet. 

Same. Kinect was a deal-killer for me (motion controls are failed gimmick from last gen) but now I'm just waiting for a good game to finally buy an X1.

HDMI-inline is not cutting edge?  Please - no other device that connects to a TV has it - in fact, PC motherboards are just adopting it.

As to why XB1 has it, that is easy to explain - HDMI-connection-contention is a problem, and has been a problem almost since the connection appeared on TVs.  (PC motherboards are adopting it for the exact same reason.)

Further, HDMI-inline is usable as part of the whole "media center" experience.

Example - you have an STB (of any sort - it can be a cable box, satellite receiver, or even a Tivo) at the end of the HDMI conneciton chain, the XB1 in the middle, and your TV at the other end.  You're watching CNN (or MSNBC, or even - gasp!! - Fox News Channel) - and a snippet of interest comes on.  You don't want to record the entire show just to get that snippet - "XBOX, record that!" - done.  Then shoot the snippet to your PC for editing.  Once you are done editing, you can then take that edited snippet - from either your PC or the XB1 - anywhere.  (Facebook.  YouTube.  Twitch.  What-have-you.)

Right now, you have all of two choices to have that feature - a new PC or an XB1.  That is it.

Having Kinect at hand makes the process easier - not harder.  You can Skype your buddies to alert them about the upcoming snippet, record a preface to post to YouTube and/or Twitch and/or Facebook, etc.

But "oh noes" - it goes beyond "the gaming experience".  Please - just GAMING went out the window merely at $300USD - the discounted price of the PS3 Slim.  If I'm going to pay closer to $400USD for a gaming console, it HAS to do a lot more than just gaming - period.

As much as folks are decrying the "cheapskate" trend, they are failing to see that they ARE the goldarned trend.

More likely to get one, but it won't be for a while anyways. I still have a huge backlog from the previous generation to go through. Whenever I do get one (if I do), it will be without the Kinect

I think you're just prejudiced against the X1, have to say. DVDs were not cutting edge in 2000, i had one in my PC early 1999. But let's not turn this into a PS2 vs. X1 debate...my point is that i think $400 is a fair price and for $100 the X1 offers a lot more than $300 consoles offered in 2000/2001.

No, I own one. I'm just saying that the $400 price for the XB1 is not as good of a value as the PS4 (same price with better hardware) or the other XB1 bundle prices such as the $450 bundle. 

DVD players were expensive in 2000, around $300. The same price as the PS2 which could play DVDs in addition to games. Maybe cutting edge wasn't exactly the right word. But nothing in the XB1 is high end or expensive hardware at all.

HDMI-inline is not cutting edge?  Please - no other device that connects to a TV has it - in fact, PC motherboards are just adopting it.

As to why XB1 has it, that is easy to explain - HDMI-connection-contention is a problem, and has been a problem almost since the connection appeared on TVs.  (PC motherboards are adopting it for the exact same reason.)

Further, HDMI-inline is usable as part of the whole "media center" experience.

Example - you have an STB (of any sort - it can be a cable box, satellite receiver, or even a Tivo) at the end of the HDMI conneciton chain, the XB1 in the middle, and your TV at the other end.  You're watching CNN (or MSNBC, or even - gasp!! - Fox News Channel) - and a snippet of interest comes on.  You don't want to record the entire show just to get that snippet - "XBOX, record that!" - done.  Then shoot the snippet to your PC for editing.  Once you are done editing, you can then take that edited snippet - from either your PC or the XB1 - anywhere.  (Facebook.  YouTube.  Twitch.  What-have-you.)

Right now, you have all of two choices to have that feature - a new PC or an XB1.  That is it.

Having Kinect at hand makes the process easier - not harder.  You can Skype your buddies to alert them about the upcoming snippet, record a preface to post to YouTube and/or Twitch and/or Facebook, etc.

But "oh noes" - it goes beyond "the gaming experience".  Please - just GAMING went out the window merely at $300USD - the discounted price of the PS3 Slim.  If I'm going to pay closer to $400USD for a gaming console, it HAS to do a lot more than just gaming - period.

As much as folks are decrying the "cheapskate" trend, they are failing to see that they ARE the goldarned trend.

No, an HDMI passthrough is not cutting edge. No one really cares about that. Especially with the cord cutting trend, more and more people don't even have another STB to pass through the XB1.

And do you even know anything about the TV functionality? It doesn't let you record TV, it's just a pass-through, remote control, and guide. 

No, I own one. I'm just saying that the $400 price for the XB1 is not as good of a value as the PS4 (same price with better hardware) or the other XB1 bundle prices such as the $450 bundle. 

DVD players were expensive in 2000, around $300. The same price as the PS2 which could play DVDs in addition to games. Maybe cutting edge wasn't exactly the right word. But nothing in the XB1 is high end or expensive hardware at all.

No, an HDMI passthrough is not cutting edge. No one really cares about that. Especially with the cord cutting trend, more and more people don't even have another STB to pass through the XB1.

And do you even know anything about the TV functionality? It doesn't let you record TV, it's just a pass-through, remote control, and guide. 

The pass-through (of HDMI-inline) lets you record any stream that passes through if the XB1 is on.  Media Center is where the Guide is - and you can record either a whole show or a snippet from there.  While recording whole shows IS duplicative, recording snippets is not.  No STB can do it - not even the Tivo Roamio (let alone my Premiere).

Cord-cutting?  While some folks are doing so, not everyone is, has, or even will.  (I have not, for example.)  The other point is that it doesn't require any additional hardware - or even additional HDMI ports.  (Not everyone has a dedicated TV to use as a console display - I certainly don't.)  And if you have another source for your video, you can snippet even that - again, no additional hardware is needed.

• Like 1