Minecraft turns five today, May 17th 2014

Today marks the fifth anniversary of the first public release of Minecraft, via this forum post.

I don't think I need to retell the history of the game - many of us know and love it. And have wasted much more time playing it than they would admit.

I became aware of the game by seeing screenshots of it appear on the web, followed by first YouTube videos. Having become curious I purchased the game on October 22nd, 2010. Launched it and thought the same most players must have thought at first: 'Ok, now what?' - before being blown up by a creeper.

What really got me into the game was when Timan launched a Minecraft server. Remember Dynamicsquid.com?

Screenshot taken on the first world, right across the road passing my home:

Screen%20Shot%202012-01-11%20at%2021.38.

Those were the days.

These days we have an official Neowin Minecraft server over at mc.neowin.com (map at http://mc.neowin.net:8123). If you haven't already, go check it out.

When did you first hear of Minecraft, and when did you start playing it? Let's hear it in the comments below.

• Like 1

my son loves the game. To this day he will sit around and watch minecraft videos on youtube just for fun.  I have to say he was ###### the other day to find out that they have postponed the xbox one version until December. They said it was suppose to come out in March, then April and now December... 

seems like so long ago, 2009...wow that feels like a different age but it's only five years. we are all getting older, and this industry is getting older. this is good and bad.

5 years?  Jesus. I remember buying the Alpha version of this game... Haven't played in the last 4 years but and wouldn't even remember the login  :/

• Like 1