Photo
ps3 sony e3

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 18 May 2014 - 22:17

Looks like something is up with the “super slim” 12 GB PS3 model, as there has been an unusual drought at major North American online retailers. The console is currently completely out of stock at Target, GameStop, Amazon and Walmart.

This could mean several things, but the sudden drying of the stock with this kind of timing at the very least means that Sony halted or considerably slowed down shipments, and could be a sign of an announcement coming at E3, possibly about a new redesign, or maybe a price drop, especially considering the rumor appeared last year about a new model with a 22nm Cell chip. The current model could even be phased out in favor of something else.

We reached out to Sony Computer Entertainment for a comment, and we’ll let you know if we receive any relevant information on the issue, but one thing is for sure: if you’re in the market for a new PS3 you may have a harder time than usual.

Source: http://www.dualshock...3-announcement/

#2 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 18 May 2014 - 22:51

Something that improves on the build construction would be nice. The new Super Slim is pretty fragile due to their cost cutting measures.

#3 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 18 May 2014 - 23:12

I don't know who in their right state of mind will buy a console with 4GB or 12GB HDD. If your only goal is to watch movies online, that may work. But I will never, even drunk will waste my money in such garbage. I bought a PS3 with 500GB for $199 in 2012 and is rock solid so far.

#4 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 18 May 2014 - 23:25

I don't know who in their right state of mind will buy a console with 4GB or 12GB HDD. If your only goal is to watch movies online, that may work. But I will never, even drunk will waste my money in such garbage. I bought a PS3 with 500GB for $199 in 2012 and is rock solid so far.

It's pretty easy and non-warranty voiding to switch the HDD on a PS3. If your PS3 dies but the HDD is still good, you can just buy a 12GB SKU and stick your HDD in that one. The 360 is a different story.

#5 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 May 2014 - 23:55

many people already have a spare 2.5" sata hdd so it is cheaper to buy the 12gb version.

#6 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 19 May 2014 - 00:09

It's pretty easy and non-warranty voiding to switch the HDD on a PS3. If your PS3 dies but the HDD is still good, you can just buy a 12GB SKU and stick your HDD in that one. The 360 is a different story.

I don't know why we have something such as low-capacity as a 4GB model to begin with. That's just too small, is it not? :/

#7 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 19 May 2014 - 00:21

I'd be tempted to buy a 12GB PS3 as I have multiple 2.5" drives in excess of 500GB capactity. It would be substantially cheaper to get the 12GB + drive mounting plate than buying a 320GB-500GB unit.

Waiting on £110-ish price range EOL / promotion.

#8 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:00

many people already have a spare 2.5" sata hdd so it is cheaper to buy the 12gb version.

define 'many people'

its easy to forget that we amount to the smaller group among the gaming market.

I don't know why we have something such as low-capacity as a 4GB model to begin with. That's just too small, is it not? :/

Apparently not, as those low capacity models sell pretty well.

#9 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:13

define 'many people'

its easy to forget that we amount to the smaller group among the gaming market.

Definitely not enough people have a spare 2.5" HDD to make a whole model for them. It's not meant for that at all. You also need to buy the HDD tray if you get the 12GB PS3, it doesn't even include it.

They're probably just discontinuing this model. I don't think it was very popular. 

#10 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:13

I'm talking in terms of practicality; I know they sell at least due to pricing.

#11 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:40

When did a 12GB PS3 even launch? What is this 2006?

#12 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:12

When did a 12GB PS3 even launch? What is this 2006?

around 2yrs ago.

#13 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:54

Something that improves on the build construction would be nice. The new Super Slim is pretty fragile due to their cost cutting measures.

What are you doing to your console? Kicking it around your house?

#14 red.

red.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:12

If they do release a new version of the PS3 with tiny built in storage they should at least include a caddy for the hard drive so you can easily upgrade without having to buy one.

That was really annoying.

#15 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:24

around 2yrs ago.

Thanks, honestly had no idea this even existed...