• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:43

I don't understand the point and popularity of Viber when there is Skype and if i am not mistaken way before viber ever existed.

I have talked with many people using it and i am still to found any major and unique feature that will justify its installation on my phone.

Me too! I asked my dad why he wants me to use Viber to talk to him instead of Skype, and he said it's better for phones, since it's made for them, but that didn't make sense. Probably since Viber is marketed as a replacement for your cellular phone, while Skype is marketed more as a general communication device.

I tried Viber and I don't see anything that warrants it being better than Skype.

#17 Lucas

Lucas

Neowinian

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:45

That sounds pretty bad. The advantage compared to Skype is that their audio quality for WiFi calls is much nicer than the regular Skype call IMO. I talk with my dad in Houston, TX and me being in Costa Rica, it sounds much better through Viber, the sound is cleaner. This issue is concerning for those who use credits, thankfully I don't have any or a credit card associated, hopefully he doesn't either!

#18 Zoom7000

Zoom7000

The Ankle Breaker

• Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:10

I get far too many dropouts with Skype. Even on a stable WiFi connection and the trouble is, nowadays, most people don't bother with user accounts for apps. They like the flexibility of apps like Viber that allow them to seamlessly use their telephone number. Once WhatsApp finally brings in voice calling, I think it'll finally kill off Viber.

#19 evo200

evo200

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:37

Me too! I asked my dad why he wants me to use Viber to talk to him instead of Skype, and he said it's better for phones, since it's made for them, but that didn't make sense. Probably since Viber is marketed as a replacement for your cellular phone, while Skype is marketed more as a general communication device.

I tried Viber and I don't see anything that warrants it being better than Skype.

I second that bro  Viber is good enough just for making free calls over the internet to other Viber users who have the app installed on their smartphones .When I tried purchasing credits to call my folks back home who aren’t that net savvy there were too many dropped calls and couple of times my credit was overcharged . Based on my  experience with calling apps it doesn’t pay to be a loyalist. If you want more bang for your buck try checking out new apps on Google Play. After few permutation and combinations I decided to use Global Call to place regular VoIP calls to landline and mobile phones and with their latest promotion it offers the best rates at the moment .

#20 Eclipse77

Eclipse77

Neowinian

Posted 11 July 2014 - 23:41

Skype. Magic Jack. Line.

#21 badb0y

badb0y

Giacomo

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 July 2014 - 00:05

App: Pinger. Also turn off your network (airplane mode) just to make sure that you won't be charged what so ever.