Nexus 5 Naked

I was wondering, does anyone with a Nexus 5 run it without a case. I really like case-less but i don't want to scratch the matte on the back and the camera. So i was hoping anyone with a Nexus 5 could tell me if the go case-less and what their experiences are. 

I don't use it with a case. It holds up just fine. I buy cases for all my phones, in reality, I tend not to use them. The only exceptions to this rule are the HTC One and iPhone 5S. Plastic holds up way better than metal/aluminium. I tend not to drop my phones, but if you are clumsy and/or just worried, buy a case!

I got my Nexus 5 last month and bought a case as soon as I got it. I tend to take good care of my devices, but I couldn't imagine using it without a case or screen protector. I just dropped $350 on this, I don't want to want to risk it any.

I was wondering, does anyone with a Nexus 5 run it without a case. I really like case-less but i don't want to scratch the matte on the back and the camera. So i was hoping anyone with a Nexus 5 could tell me if the go case-less and what their experiences are. 

I know Ghost Armor is just a plastic film that goes on the phone.  Not really a case but will protect the front/back from scratches and wont increase the size/bulk of the phone.

http://www.ghost-armor.com/product/details/lg-nexus-5

I have an official bumper but it makes the phone a little uncomfortable, thicker than my old S2. A colleague's running his N5 naked and he's lost one of the decorations of the "x" on the back. I think the glue was not strong enough; he's quite angry about it.

Edit:

we both have the black one.

I've start to run without a case and i've realised there's nothing to worry about. I have a screen protector to keep the screen in good condition, i never drop my phones but when i do, it's because i've knocked it off a desk so no more than a 4ft drop onto carpet anyway. Also because the back is matte plastic it doesn't scratch easy. As for the camera, the body of the phone is slightly curved and the only the bottom of the camera barley touches the table when laid flat, so nothing to worry about if you want to run case-less. Just for the record you don't fully appreciate the phone with a case on, it's such a thin phone and the back is such a nice feel in the hand due to the matte plastic. I hope this gives anyone confidence to join me, long as you never drop your phone you have nothing to worry about in terms of scratches just put a screen protector on. 

It's a phone, a consumer device, something you USE, it's not a showpiece that has to look pristine so you can put in in a display case... 

I've start to run without a case and i've realised there's nothing to worry about. I have a screen protector to keep the screen in good condition, i never drop my phones but when i do, it's because i've knocked it off a desk so no more than a 4ft drop onto carpet anyway. Also because the back is matte plastic it doesn't scratch easy. As for the camera, the body of the phone is slightly curved and the only the bottom of the camera barley touches the table when laid flat, so nothing to worry about if you want to run case-less. Just for the record you don't fully appreciate the phone with a case on, it's such a thin phone and the back is such a nice feel in the hand due to the matte plastic. I hope this gives anyone confidence to join me, long as you never drop your phone you have nothing to worry about in terms of scratches just put a screen protector on. 

Never used a cover on my phones and have not used a screen protector in several years.  No need for any of it as long as you take care of your stuff.

I hardly ever buy cases for my devices... until my 18 month old dropped my Z1 and smashed the glass on the back #sadface so now it's in a Covert black leather case :)

It's a phone, a consumer device, something you USE, it's not a showpiece that has to look pristine so you can put in in a display case... 

I kind of have this mentality. While i try to maintain the device to be in good condition. I do not care what it looks like and due to this i make sure that the device is protected. I have never dropped and broken a phone however, i always keep a rugged case on my phones to protect them from damage in case that does happen. Does it bulk up the phone and make it twice as thick. sure does. is it ugly sure is, but its protected. and being that phones are very expensive these days i wante to protect that investment.

I have a close friend of mine who purchased this device, and since he lets the phone hit the ground much he has a cracked screen. If you are a person which lets fall off the devices a lot, I would recommend it looking for a case (a ballistic one to be precise). 

In the other hand, I have another close friend of mine who treats it very well and haven't had much problems with it. 

Up until I recently I bought a Kenu Airframe and the official wireless charger for my car, I was using a Diztronic case. Now that I've experienced the awesome that is my wireless charging setup, my Nexus 5 is naked.

I have it and even dropped it many times. Still looks fine. Official Google case for it from Google store is a piece of crap. I really disliked it it looks like a kids toy and looked super cheap even though the price was same as the LG case for it which is miles better.

Anyway I did not want to buy another case so I have being using it without for 5 months. The back is fine.

Up until I recently I bought a Kenu Airframe and the official wireless charger for my car, I was using a Diztronic case. Now that I've experienced the awesome that is my wireless charging setup, my Nexus 5 is naked.

You can still wireless charge on some cases. Least that's what i've heard

I have it and even dropped it many times. Still looks fine. Official Google case for it from Google store is a piece of crap. I really disliked it it looks like a kids toy and looked super cheap even though the price was same as the LG case for it which is miles better.

Anyway I did not want to buy another case so I have being using it without for 5 months. The back is fine.

I bought a case but it was a piece of crap. When i was looking at buying a different one, the one everyone recommends and looks really nice is like ?20 so i deiced against it.

• Like 1

I bought a case but it was a piece of crap. When i was looking at buying a different one, the one everyone recommends and looks really nice is like ?20 so i deiced against it.

Did you buy the Google branded one?   I cant believe just how crap it was.    the holes on the bottom for the speakers did not align at ALL.   The volume was way down when in case.   Pathetic.  The volume rocker was barely press able. Ohhh, and I got the gray one, but within a week - it was colored like a mutated chamelion. The matte finish took on the color from my hands and pockets.  But the parts that were not matte did not. Un-freaking believable. 

Had to throw it out after 2 weeks, it looked so damn ugly.

This is the one I had.  Never again!

Wish I had a pic of just how bad it looked after 2 weeks.

ogfUBqmso_KXldX4ZIQpAtjbmWw_tG7UcqE2A8ma

I use a very slim case. Similar to the new ones from Google, but I got mine at launch for less than half of what Google wants and the quality has been great. What motivated me to throw the Nexus 5 in the case was the camera. I just wasn't comfortable with a raised camera so the case solved that problem without adding a ton of useless bulk to the phone.

I kind of have this mentality. While i try to maintain the device to be in good condition. I do not care what it looks like and due to this i make sure that the device is protected. I have never dropped and broken a phone however, i always keep a rugged case on my phones to protect them from damage in case that does happen. Does it bulk up the phone and make it twice as thick. sure does. is it ugly sure is, but its protected. and being that phones are very expensive these days i wante to protect that investment.

Screen protection is all I'll put on. the rest is unecessary.

besides that, you'd need to run over my 1020 with a tank to scratch the polycarbonate to any degree where it'd be noticeable. 

Screens however, I have a knack for managing to somehow scratch them if they're not protected, don't know how but it happens. besides that I'm picky about it, anyone who says "I don't use a screen protector because the screens are super tough and can't be scratched and I take care of my phone". one look at it, and I'll see a forest of micro scratches on them, sure they're not generally noticeable. but I'd personally know they're there, and know they are microscopically affecting the display quality of the final picture delivered to my eyes, that bugs me :)

now lets not talk about how the orange skin surface of the invisible shield affects my picture quality "NANANANANANANANANA!", it's completely different anyway :p

Agreed!

That being said, if the OP is concerned about scratches a case will probably help.  Although some cases, in my experience, can actually cause scratches due to dust festering in the space where the case meets the phone.  IMHO, the vast majority of cases will not protect much against a drop.  Only the really large bulky ones specifically designed to take a drop.

• Like 1

Agreed!

That being said, if the OP is concerned about scratches a case will probably help.  Although some cases, in my experience, can actually cause scratches due to dust festering in the space where the case meets the phone.

Yeah that is so true too.  Somehow the particles get in there, and can scratch it without you knowing. The case cas to be super tight, and not easy to be removed, and once put on, it should stay on.    If you can easily take it off and put on again, it is the likely sign that crap is going to be collected under it.

Screen protection is all I'll put on. the rest is unecessary.

besides that, you'd need to run over my 1020 with a tank to scratch the polycarbonate to any degree where it'd be noticeable. 

Screens however, I have a knack for managing to somehow scratch them if they're not protected, don't know how but it happens. besides that I'm picky about it, anyone who says "I don't use a screen protector because the screens are super tough and can't be scratched and I take care of my phone". one look at it, and I'll see a forest of micro scratches on them, sure they're not generally noticeable. but I'd personally know they're there, and know they are microscopically affecting the display quality of the final picture delivered to my eyes, that bugs me :)

now lets not talk about how the orange skin surface of the invisible shield affects my picture quality "NANANANANANANANANA!", it's completely different anyway :p

I don't use a screen protector, haven't sine my Windows Mobile days when screens were covered in plastic, and I don't scratch my phone. I know as I clean it probably 5x a day with a MicroFiber cloth...

What are you, and others, doing that leads to these scratches? I assume pocket carry?

I run it partially naked.  I use this cover as I prefer phones without a cover. No marks on my phone. If you are also careful with it then I suspect you too with have no issues.

I should add I do have a screen protector on it.

I always take care of my devices, but one night I was in the back seat of my friends car and I assumed my phone was in my pocket (all my devices have been white) and out of now where it landed on ground in the parking lot, not even 2 feet from the ground; shattered. It's not that bad to me, but others ask why I don't get it fixed, I just don't want to spend $150 when it doesn't interfere with what I'm looking at.

If you do get a case, just get a extremely slim one.

But, your camera lens will hold up just fine without a case.

• Like 1

I don't use it with a case. It holds up just fine. I buy cases for all my phones, in reality, I tend not to use them. The only exceptions to this rule are the HTC One and iPhone 5S. Plastic holds up way better than metal/aluminium. I tend not to drop my phones, but if you are clumsy and/or just worried, buy a case!

I have droped my HTC One hard over concrete, no scratches yet. Not arguing, most surely it was sheer luck, but still I'm relieved. And it's damn hard to get a case for it here in Mexico. However tomorrow one will arrive, bought on ebay.

I don't use a screen protector, haven't sine my Windows Mobile days when screens were covered in plastic, and I don't scratch my phone. I know as I clean it probably 5x a day with a MicroFiber cloth...

What are you, and others, doing that leads to these scratches? I assume pocket carry?

Hold it in an angle to a light with the screen off and I'm sure you'll fine micro thin scratches. 

as for what I do, I use it.