Simple Solution for Media functionality on Kinect-less Xbox Ones

I've read several articles now that mention how seriously Microsoft's media strategy has been hurt by the removal of the Kinect.  A lot of R&D and interface design was done based off voice commands and now that is seemingly lost.  There seems to be a very simple (conceptually) solution to this that saves voice commands as a pivotal part of the interface but is cheaper, optional, not always-on, etc.  It's even already being done by others and that is to put a mic and a button to activate it on the remote control, just like Amazon TV has.  This way the mic is only active when you push the button (instead of always listening).  It's cheap and easy because you don't have to figure out who in a group is saying something or isolate the commands in a noisy room (the user speaks directly into it instead of it listening from across the room) yet the remote is something people who care about the media features will probably want anyway and people are used to using in general for media features unlike having to put on a headset to issue media related voice commands which is a non-starter.  That Amazon TV seems to be getting pretty good reviews overall for the voice commands I'm sure MS can do even better.

That is certainly a fine option.

I have a feeling MS will do something along those lines. I mean they have to. Now the X1 has lost something that is pretty heavily used: voice commands

The only way you restore that is to allow headsets to do it or incorporate it into a remote as described here.

The idea is just a little less exciting then using Kinect since Kinect made it seem more seamless. You just walk in a room and start talking. It was the first step towards using more natural language with your device and not having to speak into something or press buttons to send a command. Kinect would basically blend in with your other devices near the TV and you wouldn't be thinking about where it was. The whole idea just seemed to scream 'the future' regarding interacting with devices.

That is certainly a fine option.

I have a feeling MS will do something along those lines. I mean they have to. Now the X1 has lost something that is pretty heavily used: voice commands

The only way you restore that is to allow headsets to do it or incorporate it into a remote as described here.

The idea is just a little less exciting then using Kinect since Kinect made it seem more seamless. You just walk in a room and start talking. It was the first step towards using more natural language with your device and not having to speak into something or press buttons to send a command. Kinect would basically blend in with your other devices near the TV and you wouldn't be thinking about where it was. The whole idea just seemed to scream 'the future' regarding interacting with devices.

Trooper, you are being doom and gloom again :rofl:

Just kidding, i'm not getting on your case so don't get mad. But i don't think X1 has lost anything - if people want voice commands they don't need anything other than...Kinect. Which will be sold for $100, and probably will drop in price by mid next year to like $80. The voice commands were the only thing other than biometric sign in that i used Kinect for, and while i kinda miss them, it's OK without. And when i do get Kinect back, it will be fine. So i don't think X1 lost anything at all and there's no need for new accessories, that will just complicate matters. Maybe they can figure out a way to use the headset as a voice command module? Guess that would be a cheap alternative if someone doesn't want Kinect but wants voice commands.

But you see, here we flip opinions: i think catering to someone who wants voice commands but refuses to buy Kinect is a waste of time, even worse than catering to a hermit in an offline cave that only buys disc games. You want voice input? Sure, we have Kinect for that. You don't want Kinect? Don't use voice input, we're not spending millions designing a new peripheral for you. That would be my take on this were i MS.

Trooper, you are being doom and gloom again :rofl:

Just kidding, i'm not getting on your case so don't get mad. But i don't think X1 has lost anything - if people want voice commands they don't need anything other than...Kinect. Which will be sold for $100, and probably will drop in price by mid next year to like $80. The voice commands were the only thing other than biometric sign in that i used Kinect for, and while i kinda miss them, it's OK without. And when i do get Kinect back, it will be fine. So i don't think X1 lost anything at all and there's no need for new accessories, that will just complicate matters. Maybe they can figure out a way to use the headset as a voice command module? Guess that would be a cheap alternative if someone doesn't want Kinect but wants voice commands.

:laugh:

I'm just reacting to the reality today. There is the chance that Kinect related updates or changes start to slow down now.

My hope is that MS continues to try new things in that area and keep improving the Kinect experience across all of its uses, but there is no way to know for sure.

Still, I have accepted that the choice had to be made and there are people out there that would love to try out voice commands but have no interest in using Kinect to do that. You have had those people around for a long time, so there is a group.

:laugh:

I'm just reacting to the reality today. There is the chance that Kinect related updates or changes start to slow down now.

My hope is that MS continues to try new things in that area and keep improving the Kinect experience across all of its uses, but there is no way to know for sure.

Still, I have accepted that the choice had to be made and there are people out there that would love to try out voice commands but have no interest in using Kinect to do that. You have had those people around for a long time, so there is a group.

That is a definite possibility that Kinect will take a backseat, but almost impossible that it will be outright abandoned. The existing functionalities will be retained and improved upon, for sure. While the Kinect-less X1 will help sales, am sure many will still choose the Kinect bundle, so cheer up the future's good.

And yes, there is an audience that would love voice commands but no Kinect. Remember initially it was believed the next Xbox would have Kinect BUILT IN? We really thought that, as did many professionals in the industry. Imagine if MS did do that.....

At any rate, they can always just release a revised controller with a built-in mic, that will give us voice input without too much market fragmentation. Of course then they will not be able to sell headsets separately anymore...or will charge us $100 per controller :s

And yes, there is an audience that would love voice commands but no Kinect. Remember initially it was believed the next Xbox would have Kinect BUILT IN? We really thought that, as did many professionals in the industry. Imagine if MS did do that.....

If MS had figured out how to do that, it would have been the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

...we'd all have to balance our XB1's on top of our TV's? :o

...we'd all have to balance our XB1's on top of our TV's? :o

MS probably envisioned it the other way around