Has all tech support gone dodgy?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,909 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 21:25

I keep hearing stories from people who call legitimate companies for tech support. Companies like

Netgear

Linksys

Avast

Pretty much any company a customer has told me they have called for tech support for any little issue first starts by telling them their computer has lots of bugs and viruses usually by running a stupid registry scanner then says it will cost them $200 dollars for them to clean it up.

Case and point.

I got a call from a customer this week, because she wanted to get her iPad mini connected onto her wireless network but she didn't know her wireless password (SHOCKER!) or how to find it. She said she called her local ISP tech support. They said, sorry can't help you but here is the number for Netgear.

So she calls Netgear, he remotes into her computer and instead of helping her find her Wifi password,  tells her that there are currently 11 people logged into her computer and that they might even be into her banking. She told me he had a black box open.

When I was on her computer did an Ipconfig I saw the following.

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection *11: (in fact I just did it on mine and my laptop says 11 too)

So my guess is he showed her that number and told her that is how many people are currently logged into your computer

She said he wanted to charge her I think it was $300.

All because she wanted help finding her wifi password. (She also had a strong Wifi password)

What the #### is happening to the support industry where this turns into common practice no matter who you call for help.

#2 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,071 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 21:39

My wireless hotspot read 34 , 35, 36 last night -- which is impossible.

The numbers are the times it reconnected.

And I record my passwords somewhere.

#3 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,156 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 21:49

Not all tech support.  Surface tech support has always been really good for me, they replaced a power adapter that went ###### up no questions asked, and did an advance exchange on my RT when the volume button stopped working.  MS support in general (for live services and stuff like that) has been pretty stellar. 

#4 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,909 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 21:50

Not all tech support.  Surface tech support has always been really good for me, they replaced a power adapter that went ###### up no questions asked, and did an advance exchange on my RT when the volume button stopped working.  MS support in general (for live services and stuff like that) has been pretty stellar. 

Do they sound like they are from India?

#5 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,627 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 21:50

What the #### is happening to the support industry where this turns into common practice no matter who you call for help.

I'll explain what's going on, but first I should tell you I've scanned your system and I recommend installing Virus and Registry Annihilator Pro Plus Deluxe 2.3. It will help limit those rootkit users that are accessing your backdoor from a bios loader. The torrent they've tracked has infiltrated your mother board. If you install a linux swapfile into your RAM you can stop the attack, which this software can do. After you've done that we can start on cleaning up your boot order as it appears your Hard Drive is fragmented. By the way, do you have a webcam?

It's only $500, Oh no, sorry, we don't accept paypal, but a money order is OK!

#6 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,156 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 21:59

Do they sound like they are from India?

I always use chat, never call. Hate phone support. 

#7 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,189 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:02

Heh the tech support guy I talked to for the hell of it was convinced it was the things on my system causing the problem and not their own ******* software (which was the only reason I called really, to waste their money in the vain hopes something positive would happen.)

Nothing shady at least.

#8 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,071 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:08

I always use chat, never call. Hate phone support.

My LiveChat to Samsung resulted in the dumb suggestion to factory reset my tablet.

The real solution popped into my head a while later.

Just turn off the bluetooth on my laptop, which allowed my tablet to connect to the headphones.

Sometimes I am my own best Tech support. :p

#9 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,909 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:16

An hour ago I got a call from a customer who's wifi internet stopped working on her laptop

She called the ISP customer support and after seeing how it works via hard wire but not over wireless the support person came to the conclusion that she must have a virus on her system, and that she should subscribe to their Internet Security Package for $15 a month.

So then she calls me

I have her check to see if her wireless Network shows her as connected or not. It says there are no networks to connect to. So then I walk her through locating the wireless button she probably accidentally pushed. She pushed it and she was back on the internet.

This next one wasn't dodgy but just funny.

I got a call from a customer this morning who was unable to send Emails via outlook. She said she called her ISP and that they remotely connected into her computer and worked on the issue for 1.5 hours. They couldn't figure it out. They even tried creating a new account in outlook. That didn't work either.

So she calls me. I remote in.

I look through her SMTP settings for Midlands

I look at the port number... that's not right... and I type in 25.

I look at the server requires authentication and unchecked that box (that ISP has never used that)

I deleted the new account they created

PRESTO! She could send emails again :D

Total time : Less than 5 mins

#10 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,599 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:19

Some companies are a little ridiculous with support.

The one I have a problem with is Dell. I called in because my new printer wouldn't connect to an SMTP server (turns out it needed a firmware update). Dell told me that printer support doesn't work on Saturdays. I pointed out that the website was for US customers, not UK ones. I spent 20 minutes arguing that there's a printer team there who could help me - the fact that I was from the UK didn't affect the issue. He argued and refused.

I hung up, called the US number from Skype, got through to what sounded like the exact same call centre, and spoke to someone who solved the problem. Why they felt the need to argue for 20 minutes rather than just put me through is beyond me.

#11 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• 296 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:20

So she calls Netgear, he remotes into her computer and instead of helping her find her Wifi password,  tells her that there are currently 11 people logged into her computer and that they might even be into her banking. She told me he had a black box open.

When I was on her computer did an Ipconfig I saw the following.

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection *11: (in fact I just did it on mine and my laptop says 11 too)

So my guess is he showed her that number and told her that is how many people are currently logged into your computer

She said he wanted to charge her I think it was $300.

All because she wanted help finding her wifi password. (She also had a strong Wifi password)

This sounds very much like a scam support line.

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection *** has nothing to do with logged users.

How did she end up there?

#12 OP +warwagon

warwagon

• 25,909 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:21

This sounds very much like a scam support line.

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection *** has nothing to do with logged users.

How did she end up there?

It's the number the ISP gave her.

Of course that number doesn't have anything to do with logged  users :D

#13 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• 296 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:27

It's the number the ISP gave her.

Of course that number doesn't have anything to do with logged  users :D

That support post will cost you $50. You can pay by Paypal or Money Order ;)

Thanks.

#14 Random_Larry

Random_Larry

Neowinian

• 23 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:31

Yes, very much so

techsupport1.jpg

#15 elenarie

elenarie

Neowinian

• 961 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 19 May 2014 - 23:07

MS support in general (for live services and stuff like that) has been pretty stellar. 

Had quite the opposite experience with Microsoft Store. Their online store. At the end of the chat, they don't me that they don't offer support for what I was asking for, and that they cannot help me because I was not from the US. Which is just downright idiotic and the person that said that should burn in fire. :angry: If you have online stores for X regions, you offer support to those regions too, don't tell me that crap just because your own incompetence and brainless head have never seen daylight.

I tried so hard not to curse them, after spending 1 freaking hour in chat trying to get an answer to by questions.