Gold or Platinum PSU?

I still have several UPS units that do not have sinewave output. My current Antec has PFC, but will keep running when the UPS kicks in. I've read that many PSUs with active PFC will not.  I wonder which if any of these recommended models will?

The platinum Antec is not worth that price difference so it's a hard choice between the Corsair and the Super Flower. Corsair is (semi)modular but comes with only 3y warranty while the SF is not modular but has 5y warranty. If I were you I'd try to find the modular version of that SF (or the 600W).

Kind of surprised of the limited selection of PSU models on oc.co.uk.

The platinum Antec is not worth that price difference so it's a hard choice between the Corsair and the Super Flower. Corsair is (semi)modular but comes with only 3y warranty while the SF is not modular but has 5y warranty. If I were you I'd try to find the modular version of that SF (or the 600W).

Kind of surprised of the limited selection of PSU models on oc.co.uk.

I was thinking the exact same thing about OC! 

Unrelated to the OP but I would recommend Scan as well, OCUK's customer support is crap.

• Like 3

Unrelated to the OP but I would recommend Scan as well, OCUK's customer support is crap.

Agreed, they left me waiting 2 weeks before I called them to see where my ordered stuff was. Turns out one item wasn't in stock so they didn't send the rest and didn't notify me. That was the last time I used them.

In my case I had to RMA a hard drive with a ton of bad sectors, their "tests" indicated no problems, even though about 1/4 of the drive was bad. They refused to RMA it, and tried to make me pay to get it back so that I could prove it was damaged. It was the last order they ever got from me.

CoolerMaster PSU ??  eeeek not sure about that - why would you not go with something better for the same money ?

Gold or Platinum ?!?!  pfft  thats for poor people !    Get the new TITANIUM rated Corsair 1500i  !!!

(I have a Seasonic 1KW Platinum) ;)

It's actually not the best idea to get a psu much bigger than you need.  The components are optimized to run from 40-80% load generally.  When you get one too big it can cause stress to run such a low load.

It's actually not the best idea to get a psu much bigger than you need.  The components are optimized to run from 40-80% load generally.  When you get one too big it can cause stress to run such a low load.

I did not know that - are you sure ?  Because what happens when you have a system which needs 1000 W, but you arent crunching Pi, or Overclocking, benchmarking & are just browsing internet  most of the time ?

I have a seasonic 1KW and 90% of the time I am on the net doing nothing else....  Over the last 10 years I have had 2 PSUs - an 850W PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool, and this Seasonic - ....

Your comments dont make sense considering most of the time - most computers arent sucking juice like crazy - they are just using internet...

On the other hand, all OEMs are using a PSU rated in the sweetspot you mention for that particular computer - so..... maybe 

I am not saying you are wrong - just saying - that is news to me...

And honestly I am about to begin a build project where I need to custom build 5 office machines for a company's plant that is running on propane - I want top of the line PSU - and was going to put some huge 1200i Corsairs in there since the plant is in Fiji and I am in Texas..... I want rock solid mission critical stability - and dont have a budget to deal with, thankfully.

Well you have to understand it's about numbers when it comes to OEM.  A 5% increase in failure might not be seen by you but to an OEM its a huge cost.  Your power supply can do almost any load from 50W-1000W but it will run optimally around a moderate to heavy load.  Generally most PC's don't use much more than 200W unless you are playing a game or doing some kind of math.  But that can vary with a high-end system.  Now better power supplies are going to have better components and will probably not be affected as much by failures.  They are pretty much designed to last more than the life of your PC, with a quality psu.

Don't know enough about SuperFlower to comment on them, but I'd take the Corsair over the Antec.

Slightly off topic but why do they cross out the cheaper price and put a higher one?  Just never seen a vendor do it that way before (normally it's the opposite of that).

mF8AhIY.jpg

Seasonic Platinum and don't look at others :p

Or Cooler Master V700 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171080 Gold (Seasonic inside)

;)

Without even looking that's probably a safe bet on PSU's in terms of longevity given the name and what i have heard about the brand Seasonic.

my most recent PSU is a Seasonic (i.e. SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W) it's got a 5 year warranty and i have always had bad luck with PSU's myself (i have had 3 PSU's die on me and only 1 hard drive) as they always seem to fail a bit after the warranty period is up as my two most recent PSU's where 3 year warranty (i.e. ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT 500W) and it died in about 4.5 years (i.e. March 2006 til Aug 2010) and the other had a 2 year warranty (i.e. Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W (this is probably lower end stuff though)) and it died just after warranty was up (i.e. Aug 2010 til a bit before Nov 2012). so my current PSU is covered from failure til Nov 2017.

i figure with Seasonic since they have a 5 year warranty they must be confident in their product and i have heard some say they tend to have one of the lowest failure rates of PSU's in general.

so given my luck with PSU's i can't afford to by anything that does not have a solid reputation and warranty.