RUMOR: Disney releasing unaltered Star Wars Blu-ray, throwing out prequel trilogy

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/15/new-star-wars-rumors-include-original-trilogy-re-release-on-blu-rayvod-and-more/

Here?s a kind of convoluted rumor for you to chew on as we continue to wait for no news about Star Wars: Episode VII. According to an interesting e-mail we?ve intercepted, and which purports to come from within Disney?s marketing department,  the studio are planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on DVD/Blu-Ray/On Demand in their original form, without all the things George Lucas changed for the ?Special Edition? releases back in 2004.

The new trilogy is going to be very closely tied to the original (and not so much the prequels, if you?re reading between the lines) and will be marketed as a direct sequel to those, so this particular re-release strategy makes a certain sense.

Going forward and looking at the much bigger picture, there are more dubious rumors to consider, like Disney potentially phasing out the prequel trilogy by lumping them in with the ?Legends? non-canon fodder. This has apparently been the subject of gossip near Disney, though it?s very possibly just that ? gossip amongst the worker bees. Anyway, it would allow for a reboot of sorts, with new prequel movies featuring Yoda, Darth Vader, etc.

But like I said, that rumour is much more dubious. Sure, they probably don?t want people to think too closely how disappointing the last three Star Wars films were in the run up to a new release, but to erase them from canon? would be a totally different story.

For now, though, there is room to remain hopeful about a new original trilogy re-release.

April Fools!  Oh wait...

That would be sweet. Imagine all the money they are going to make and the fact Lucas won't see any of it! So sad...

April Fools!  Oh wait...

That would be sweet. Imagine all the money they are going to make and the fact Lucas won't see any of it! So sad...

Lucas had his chance with it and screwed it up royally.

• Like 3

They'd be crazy not too, the demand is so high for them. Lucas was an idiot with his artistic vision crap and refusing to release them (and the ones he finally released were a complete joke).

meh, no.  I don't approve of this money grab.  Whether you liked the prequels or not, they were decent.  Not as good as the originals, but they told the story that Lucas wanted.  I have no problem with the corrections he mad to the original trilogy in 1997.  I haven't watched the 2004 version yet, but the only thing I do have a problem with is him adding in Christen Hayden? to the end scene of ROTJ.  His reason was just stupid IMO.

I think they should just leave the prequels alone and move on.  I know it's hard but move on.  If they do release an unaltered version of the original trilogy based on their original theatrical releases then they should do that.  Again Lucas was just being stubborn and an ass when he said they couldn't do it.  All most fans really wanted was the original movie that they saw and grew up with, cleaned up into HD goodness and that's it.  No extra story elements or whatever.

Oh yeah, I've wanted to say it since they dropped the expanded universe.  Boba Fett is DEAD!!!

meh, no.  I don't approve of this money grab.  Whether you liked the prequels or not, they were decent.  Not as good as the originals, but they told the story that Lucas wanted.  I have no problem with the corrections he mad to the original trilogy in 1997.  I haven't watched the 2004 version yet, but the only thing I do have a problem with is him adding in Christen Hayden? to the end scene of ROTJ.  His reason was just stupid IMO.

I think they should just leave the prequels alone and move on.  I know it's hard but move on.  If they do release an unaltered version of the original trilogy based on their original theatrical releases then they should do that.  Again Lucas was just being stubborn and an ass when he said they couldn't do it.  All most fans really wanted was the original movie that they saw and grew up with, cleaned up into HD goodness and that's it.  No extra story elements or whatever.

Oh yeah, I've wanted to say it since they dropped the expanded universe.  Boba Fett is DEAD!!!

I agree for the most part but I think they should actually bring Boba back. He is a great character.

Agreed. The Fett man is dead, just like Greedo shot first.

So much stupid in this. The fact some original trilogy fan added in the part about dumping the prequels sements the fact this is a stupid made up rumor.

Beyond that, the original unaltered trilogy doesn't exist anymore. The amount of worked required to satisfy a niche audience who wants the original doesn't make sense, especially when they would have to redo all the restoration work already done, in which a lot of the original was altered in the process and simply don't exist anymore.

Besides that why would you want it, the new scenes makes the movies much better, the only scene people really argue about is the Han Solo shot first scene, and it really doesn't matter.

I agree for the most part but I think they should actually bring Boba back. He is a great character.

What's so great about his character. He had no lines, pro character development, he had no character, he was absolutely useless as a bounty hunter living of a legacy that was only established later, and he was killed by a blind, dizzy man with a stick...

Seriously the only cool thing about him was the armor. I'm sure we could make up a new cool character with mandalorian armor, one that actually has skills.

Please, please delete Jar Jar Binks from existance.

What's with the irrational jar jar hate, he was a comic relief, honestly if you look back at the original trilogy without the rose tinted fan glasses you'll find that C3P0 among others was just as bad if not worse.

This is all Lucas had to do. He started with the 97 special edition, doubled down with the 04 and then spat in our faces with the'11 release. I'm so happy I didn't buy that '11 release. Now my children will know star wars as it's supposed to be.

What's with the irrational jar jar hate, he was a comic relief, honestly if you look back at the original trilogy without the rose tinted fan glasses you'll find that C3P0 among others was just as bad if not worse.

C3P0, Yoda and the Ewoks were nowhere near as annoying or infantile as Jar Jar Binks or the young Anakin Skywalker. They were Lucas' failed attempt to recreate the humour of the original trilogy. I say that having watched the original trilogy only a few days ago, so it's not nostalgia. For what it's worth I think the weakest film in the original trilogy is the A New Hope, the only one directed by Lucas.

In terms of the prequel trilogy I would say that only things Lucas got right were Darth Maul (who was killed off before he could be a true menace), Princess Amidala and destroyer droids. The rest was a trainwreck - the imperial senate, the blockade, the clone troopers, the droid troopers, the pod racing, midichlorians, younglings, gymnastic Yoda, etc. Lucas might have created Star Wars but he also ruined it.

In terms of the prequel trilogy I would say that only things Lucas got right were Darth Maul (who was killed off before he could be a true menace), Princess Amidala and destroyer droids. The rest was a trainwreck - the imperial senate, the blockade, the clone troopers, the droid troopers, the pod racing, midichlorians, younglings, gymnastic Yoda, etc. Lucas might have created Star Wars but he also ruined it.

Of those, the only things that were stupid were the Midichlorians and gymnastic Yoda, the rest was just fine.

In fact, my biggest issue with the prequels isn't any of what most people complain about.  My biggest issue is the screwed up timeline/ages of the characters.  The Vader from the original movies was just TOO OLD to have been the Anakin of the prequels.  It went from a young man of 20, to a man in his clear 60's, in about 16 years, then there's Obi Wan going from early 30's to HIS 60's in the same amount of time too, and the less said about Padme not aging at all in 10 years, the better!.

C3P0, Yoda and the Ewoks were nowhere near as annoying or infantile as Jar Jar Binks or the young Anakin Skywalker. They were Lucas' failed attempt to recreate the humour of the original trilogy. I say that having watched the original trilogy only a few days ago, so it's not nostalgia. For what it's worth I think the weakest film in the original trilogy is the A New Hope, the only one directed by Lucas.

That's only because you wherent an adult when you saw them the first time, so they're remembered in your head differently, besides cheesy childlike uh our was all you had back then.

Of those, the only things that were stupid were the Midichlorians and gymnastic Yoda, the rest was just fine.

In fact, my biggest issue with the prequels isn't any of what most people complain about.  My biggest issue is the screwed up timeline/ages of the characters.  The Vader from the original movies was just TOO OLD to have been the Anakin of the prequels.  It went from a young man of 20, to a man in his clear 60's, in about 16 years, then there's Obi Wan going from early 30's to HIS 60's in the same amount of time too, and the less said about Padme not aging at all in 10 years, the better!.

Anakin was affected by the dark side though, which "rots" you up. Obi wan aged a bit much but you could rogue he was a very young looking 40-50 year old and then he became a recluse in a dry desert mourning his failures and mistakes, can make anyone age.

Padme was an alien who never ages so there :p

As for Yoda, he was awesome. As he should be, he was the best of the Jedi at the time and he had the force where the outside was dominant at the time, whereas later the dark side was dominant.

As for the midichlorians I don't get the problem, it doesn't take away from anything, it just explains.

Ugh. Don't get me started about Jar Jar Binks.

Honestly The Phantom Edit is the only thing from the prequels I'll watch.

only way i can watch the prequels is through the plinkett reviews.... waaaaay better :P

As for the midichlorians I don't get the problem, it doesn't take away from anything, it just explains.

I think my dad explained this one to me. The biggest problem that people had with the midichlorian idea was that it meant that you had to be born in to the force. With the original trilogy the lack of explanation meant that anyone could become a Jedi (or Sith.) Now obviously it's not a real religion, but still people were annoyed at the idea that, in another galaxy far, far away, they would still never get to become a Jedi. It seemed a good enough reason for me to dislike the idea of midichlorians.

I think when they were doing the special editions they restored the original negatives in such a way that the only "originals" they had left were the ones with the special edition on them.  From what Lucas says there is no more source material that has the original trilogy on them.  He could be lying but I think he would've taken the moneygrab and released it if he had it.

Also, I like this Episode II much better:

He does Episode I also but I really like this new Episode II.

Edit:  And Nick is correct.  The Force shouldn't be a bacteria flowing through your blood system (why not transfuse midichlorians to everyone?)