Teen faces up to life in prison over hash brownies

A Texas teenager is facing five years to life in prison for allegedly baking and selling pot brownies.

Jacob Lavoro, a 19-year-old from Round Rock, Texas, was charged with a first degree felony because he used hash oil instead of marijuana, allowing the state to weigh the brownies as a whole ? including the sugar, cocoa, butter and other ingredients ? to calculate the weight of the drugs.

Police searched Lavoro's apartment, where they allegedly found 660 grams ? or 1.45 pounds ? of baked goods (six bags of cookies, nine bags of brownies) along with 16 ounces of marijuana and $1,675 in cash.

"I?ve been doing this 22 years as a lawyer and I?ve got 10 years as a police officer and I?ve never seen anything like this before,? Jack Holmes, Lavoro?s attorney, told KHON-TV. ?They?ve weighed baked goods in this case. It ought to be a misdemeanor."

Hash oil, classified as a "Penalty 2" controlled substance under Texas law, contains a higher concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.

The teen's father, Joe Lavoro, called the possibility of his son spending life behind bars for a hash brownie recipe ?outrageous."

Lavoro was arrested on April 15 and charged with possession of marijuana, possession of the illegal hash oil and sale of the hash-infused cookies and brownies. He was held in Williamson County Jail and released on May 7 on a $30,000 bond. His next court appearance is scheduled for June 19.

more

It is sad that I still cannot enjoy coffee and a pot brownie in America. :(

A year sounds like plenty to me -- and even that sounds harsh.

Did anyone suffer injuries from the brownies ... ?

A year sounds like plenty to me -- and even that sounds harsh.

Did anyone suffer injuries from the brownies ... ?

Maybe some bad cottonmouth...

The world would solve a heap of wasted time, tax payers money wasted andcriminality, if they just legalised every drug.

Then the local authority could sell it at cost.

I don't do drugs, never done them not my vice, curry is my vice.

However, those that take the drugs must understand there will be no help when they've had enough and want out.

They will also be treated the same way as a drink driver etcetera.

Also they can't use them in public has to be their own space.

Throw the book at this stupid kid for making such crappy food to begin with and make the world a better place!

no no no....MJ is Michael Jordan.  There wasn't enough left of Michael Jackson to get any oil!   :p

Ridiculous sentencing standards, time served, probation and rehab is enough.

no no no....MJ is Michael Jordan.  There wasn't enough left of Michael Jackson to get any oil!   :p

Ridiculous sentencing standards, time served, probation and rehab is enough.

Bc he used it all on his hair!

Absolutely absurd. This is why the legalization of marijuana needs to come quickly so law enforcement can focus on bigger things like finding murderers, busting meth labs, etc.