Xbox One Update: June 2014

I have mine plugged in. It never works.  :pinch:

Mine has never not recognized me after the first 2 or 3 days owning it, and I use it every day.

I'm more interested to learn about the TV and OneGuide stuff that's apparently coming to the UK with this update. Which providers will it support? etc.

Mine has never not recognized me after the first 2 or 3 days owning it, and I use it every day.

Also if it doesn't recognise you, you're supposed to use the "I was not recognised" feature, and it builds up a library of snapshots of you to enable it to recognise you in more conditions, differing light, etc.  Or... just say "Xbox sign in as Ryan Spooner" :)

In regards to the "formatting the HDD for exclusive/primary Xbox One use is necessary" idea, it's really not. The Nintendo 3DS stores its data on a normal, FAT32-formatted SD card. The files, however, are encrypted/decrypted on the fly with a unique, per-console key, so copying them between consoles is not possible, because the keys don't match. There's no way to decrypt these, unless you happen to extract your console key, which is not possible (or feasible).

If Nintendo, of all game companies, can do this, I don't see why Microsoft couldn't, either.

Great round of updates.

I have to tip my hat to MS, they know how to be aggressive when rolling out updates. Sony is slower in this area, even though the last update was a nice roundup.

People just complain no matter what.

I can't use my 32GB thumb drive... I can use this, u can't use that, blah blah blah...

Stop crying already.

• Like 1

One of the benefits of the Kinect :p

Mine never signs me in in under 10 seconds, I've done more calibrations that Garrus Vakarian. 

• Like 2

Mine never signs me in in under 10 seconds, I've done more calibrations that Garrus Vakarian. 

Heh heh good one, wish i'd thought of that. My Kinect was fast, i used to get the hi in a couple of seconds. Until it stopped working altogether.

External drive support is awesome, great news. The 500GB is so far enough, but adding to it will be necessary eventually. It's great there's none of this Wii U weirdness where the drives need to have a power supply and stuff.

Does it support SSD? (I assume it does) and if so i'll be really happy about that. Booting games from an external SSD would make this console a lot snappier I think. Although with a little searching it seems an SSD doesn't get much improvement over the stock drive.

It's possible as long as it's USB3, but external SSD prices are high and like you said you don't get much return on performance.  

Another limit I heard about. 16TB upper limit has just been confirmed by MS. Should be enough for a while though.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_one_june_2014_update_includes_external_storage_oneguide_real_friend_names_and_more.html

Wish i had enough money to fill up 16TB with games. Wish there were enough X1 games to fill up 16TB :s

The 16TB limit won't be a problem I imagine. Are there even external drives larger than 8TB?

• Like 1

I have mine plugged in. It never works.  :pinch:

Hah, must be one of the lucky ones :P It's a shame it does make the whole thing much easier :P

I think im most excited about the ability to put my digital games on a external and play at a friends house cause i have had several occasions i wanted to do that but couldnt because i went all digital except for a few games i wasnt sure about and wanted to be able to take them back for a little money lol.   I have 2 2tb drives ready to go

Hah, must be one of the lucky ones :p It's a shame it does make the whole thing much easier :p

Mine takes like 30 seconds to recognize me some morning but ill be damned if it doesnt see my wife everytime like within 5 seconds or less.   I think i bought a sexist XO

• Like 2

Wish i had enough money to fill up 16TB with games. Wish there were enough X1 games to fill up 16TB :s

you can still complain about it :p why onLY 16 MICROSOFT WHY!!!

• Like 2

you can still complain about it :p why onLY 16 MICROSOFT WHY!!!

Good point - why just 16TB MS? Outrageous, your average NAS can easily handle eight 6TB drives now! I demand a firmware update! :angry:

Mine takes like 30 seconds to recognize me some morning but ill be damned if it doesnt see my wife everytime like within 5 seconds or less.   I think i bought a sexist XO

Haha

The June 2014 update will begin rolling out in a few days, according to a message I received on Xbox Live (screenshot from Xbox One Smartglass)

1406_proof.png

Hi all! We know since Wednesday's announcement of the June update that you are all very excited to get to see these new features in action, and we're working hard to deliver! While I can't say a specific time, I can tell you we will have this update ready for you to preview *very soon*. 

With that in mind, we thought you might like to get ready for one of the coolest features of the June update: External Storage. If you've been holding off to pick up a drive, don't delay! Just make sure you pick up a hard drive that meets the following requirements: 

• Must be USB 3.0
  • At least 256GB in size

Some other notes to keep in mind:

• You can connect up to two external hard drives at once, and we encourage those of you who want to try this and have two hard drives to do so!
  • Your external hard drive can be powered by either an AC Adapter or straight from USB

That's it! Hopefully you'll be ready to plug in a drive as soon as the update is released for preview, and start installing ALL the things! We'll let you know the moment we are ready to kick off this preview for you, but until then - Game on! :)

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_access/update_preview/update_preview_forums/wave_3_1405/f/4756/t/1759357.aspx

------

if anyone wants an invite, shoot me a msg with your gamertag. Beta people can add others to the proggy.

• Like 3

Now I start the hunt for an external hard drive enclosure that best compliments the look of the One.

• Like 1

Great news regarding the update. I still have a lot of free space, but I'm glad the feature will be well supported by the time I need to to use it.

Kudos again to MS for their rapid pace.

1406_proof.png

if anyone wants an invite, shoot me a msg with your gamertag. Beta people can add others to the proggy.

Are there downsides to the beta? Will I still be able to do everything?

Was looking at external 1TB USB 3.0 drives last night, seems like nice ones from Seagate can be had for around $70 without even shopping around, probably less online. Might get one...

What I really want from the update is the ability to have voice chat via regular speakers/headphone even if the headset/mic is plugged in...360 can do, original Xbox could do it, why can't X1 do it? :ike: